why I don't kill snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
    Get bit by one and spend a month throwing up from the pain and you'll think differently maybe. I still ain't scared, but close to the house or camper and they get the hatchet.

Agreed....especially when your deer lease or yard has kids around it who aren't always "grown men". And hell, when you get to working sometimes a fella gets tired and/or distracted and can't always be perfectly observant and at the top of your awareness game. My buddy killed 4 rattlers a few weeks ago trapping coons, with his kids helping him, in our feedpens and at one of our well used gates. Not worth the risk to try to be smarter and manlier than everyone else....better they get dead and lower the percentages.

Add in working/retrieving dogs and vet bills and that's a whole other expense that a snakebite can add to the reasons they need to get dead.

Last edited by Smart; 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Getting bitten because I did something stupid isn't likely to change my mind about an animal with a brain the size of a peanut. I don't need to get bitten to know how much it sucks.
      Oh yeah cause every snake bite in history was because someone did something stupid with it

Comment

Any venomous snake on my personal or lease property gets dispatched post-haste, all others may pass. I don't need livestock, pets, children/grandchildren, or myself/wife getting bit by anything that can do permanent damage....or cost a lot of money to fix. The more of them I kill, the less opportunity there is for that to happen.

Comment

Getting bitten because I did something stupid isn't likely to change my mind about an animal with a brain the size of a peanut. I don't need to get bitten to know how much it sucks.

This is just a ridiculous statement! You really think you have to do something stupid to get bit? I know an elderly lady who lives in the city. She stepped off a step onto the ground and a snake struck her from under the steps. There was no way she could have seen it beforehand. Sure people get bit doing stupid stuff, but to act like every snake bite is the person fault is just dumb.

A snakes brain is larger than an ants or a mosquitoes, but I've bet you've been bitten by both of them.
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Any venomous snake is killed on site, most water snakes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
              Any venomous snake is killed on site, most water snakes too.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I give rat snakes a pass usually. My Pit Bull doesn't, she kills all snakes she finds, she has been bitten by copperheads 5 times in the last three years, but it just made her hate them more..I kill copperheads on sight, along with scorpions, black widow spiders, wasps,etc. If I get too many rodents around because of lack of copperheads, I will buy rat poison.

Comment

x3 ^^^^^

Comment

Got a King snake living in the deer camp house, and he gets to come and go at his will. No more mice in the house! He has been there 3 years now.

Comment

Genesis 3:14-15

Comment

How about getting on your 4 wheeler and seeing this ?
                        A harmless Milk Snake. BUT knowing your snakes helps!
                        Know your critters.

KIMG0647 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                          Oh yeah cause every snake bite in history was because someone did something stupid with it
                          Not every, but most.

I feel for folks who get bitten through no fault of their own but have no sympathy for someone who gets bitten playing stupid games.

The idea that I should change my mind if I got bitten is as ridiculous as people who become anti gunner when someone they know gets shot. It's a purely emotional response.

Comment

I've been bitten a few times and still don't go out of my way to kill snakes. They just don't bother me. The only reason I ever got bit was because I was bothering them. If you can't handle getting bit or if the thought of it bothers you just avoid them. Most people that get bit probably could have avoided it.

As for killing every snake you see,well if you kill kingsnakes and things like that you're giving venomous snakes free roam of your property. Kingsnakes are there for a reason. They're looking for food. Other snakes are on the menu so if they're in your yard that's a pretty good sign a different snake that's a little more detrimental to your health might also be in your yard. Or maybe that family of deer mice under your shed and that could also be very harmful to you as well. I'd take a venomous snake bite over Hantavirus.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                              Genesis 3:14-15
                              Mark 16:17-18

Comment

Not every, but most.

I feel for folks who get bitten through no fault of their own but have no sympathy for someone who gets bitten playing stupid games.

The idea that I should change my mind if I got bitten is as ridiculous as people who become anti gunner when someone they know gets shot. It's a purely emotional response.
                                Most is still a strong statement there I believe. I’ve never been but. The closest I got was one of my dogs got treed on a creek and I stepped off in it looking in the tree and my buddy on the bank told me don’t move but look down. So I looked down and sure enough was a big ol cotton mouth laying on a log 2 feet from me with its mouth wide open and was none too thrilled of my being there. Luckily I had a pistol on my hip with snake shot and he ate it. But had I not seen him he prolly woulda struck. And I wasn’t even playing with it. So I’d say most of it is not a humans fault. Now I ain’t saying there’s not people out there who arent stupid about it. But I just believe it’s not as common.

Comment

Working...
                                X