No announcement yet.

Help on black bear cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear meat is not good to me and there are way too many other things available to eat for it to not even be worth my effort.

I'm also not talking about bad handling of the meat. I'm saying the meat doesn't have a very good flavor imo and can be very greasy; which is true. To each their own. We all have different taste buds.

With that said, I disagree with the idea that someone doesn't know how to prepare a certain meat, then in the same breath discuss the making of chili, tamales, sausage mixed with other meats at upwards to 70% ratio, etc. Those recipes hide flavor to make something more edible.

Sure, people are used to beef, pork and chicken...well those meats are palatable with nothing more than a little salt and pepper.

Comment

Best way to cook is wrapped in foil with horse road apples at 210 degrees for 3 hours. Open foil, throw bear away and eat the apples. Or better yet, tell the neighbors how good it is and give it to them, and you don't waste any foil.

Comment

Taste buds vary from one person to another. And, some people will eat anything that’s wild just to prove their their he-man outdoorsman bonafides, even if it takes a 14 step process and 47 other ingredients to be able to choke it down. Ill pass on bear.

Comment

I wasn't a fan of bear roast or chicken fried backstrap. I disclaim a couple pots of stew with it though that were very tasty.

Comment

Cook a good pot of country beans, cornbread and bear. Toss bear and eat the beans and cornbread. I did years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Taste buds vary from one person to another. And, some people will eat anything that’s wild just to prove their their he-man outdoorsman bonafides, even if it takes a 14 step process and 47 other ingredients to be able to choke it down. Ill pass on bear.

hahahahahah......nailed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Racoon is much better.
                Lmao!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks fellers won’t ever eat a bear

Comment

I mean I get it.Some people will eat dang near anything.My best friend in high school loved armadillo(chit you not) His old man would hit em with a baseball bat,and make Joseph carry them back to camp.
                    The smell would retard you,while they cooked.
                    Some folks hate antelope.I actually like it.Deer,hogs,rabbits,bison,elk.I'm down.
                    Javelina is the only thing I can somewhat compare to bear meat(maybe raw oysters)
                    One bite..Spit it out.Nahh,I ain't hungry no more.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X