Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Help on black bear cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring bear no. Fall bear feeding on berries is edible.
    That said I haven't had it since I was a kid. And that was a bit back.

Gary

Comment

A black bear killed in the mountains, in the fall, that has been pigging out on berries is some of the best eating you will ever find.

Comment

Our fall bears from Maine were delicious. We trimmed all the visible fat and it was good eats every way that we cooked it. We regretted not bringing more home...the guides and other hunters in camp grabbed up all the meat we didn’t bring back to Texas.

Comment

I've eaten alot of bear meat. It all depends on what they've been eating and how they were cared for after they were shot. Some was delicious, others not so much.

Comment

As others have stated above, my wife said it depends a lot on what I eat.
            Last edited by CabezaBlanca; 07-23-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Fall bear is much better, but kinda like turkeys, it depends what they have been eating. I've had some that has been outstanding, others not so much. I smoked some about 10 years ago for a party for some city folks, and they still talk about how good it was every time they come over.

Comment

Depends what it's been eating. Cook it with potatoes and carrots and gravy when done like a roast.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                  As others have stated above, my wife said it depends a lot on what I eat.
                  This just needed quoted.....

Comment

If you eat one that just got out of hibernation, maybe it will taste better?

Comment

I’ve literally lived off of black bear meat when living in Colorado. Pastrami and bratwurst are two easy wins, breakfast sausage is a win as well. Most black bear needs to have as much of the fat removed as soon as possible before aging. Another key is to get the hide off quickly. Grind in beef or hog fat to 80/20 and viola.

Comment

I love me some bear as long as it hasn't been eating a lot of fish.

Comment

Never had it, but by the comments it looks like it ranks right up there with Aoudad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            Never had it, but by the comments it looks like it ranks right up there with Aoudad.
                            Why there is been folks on here saying Aoudad is some of the best groceries a feller could ever eat, I am fairly certain that a tub of Catfish bait and some saltines would eat the same.

I was on a hunt one time and some yayhoo brought out some Aoudad dried sausage. He was gnawing on it and a bragging, so we all fetched a piece from him. I would have to say that I would rather have a dead rat in my mouth as to ever eat that mess again. I reckon some folks just have peculiar taste buds.
                            Last edited by Radar; 07-24-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

This thread is hilarious, like stated above... I will not be eating black bear lol

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                Why there is been folks on here saying Aoudad is some of the best groceries a feller could ever eat, I am fairly certain that a tub of Catfish bait and some saltines would eat the same.

I was on hunt one time and some yayhoo brought out some Aoudad dried sausage. He was gnawing on it and a bragging, so we all fetched a piece from him. I would have to say that I would rather have a dead rat in my mouth as to ever eat that mess again. I reckon some folks just have peculiar taste buds.
                                The same folks like Javelina too.

Comment

Working...
                                X