Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    The same folks like Javelina too.
    Yeah javelina isn’t much good, but I am sure it is their diet, eating cactus and nasty stuff probably doesn’t help the taste , hogs can be really nasty too
    When they have been eating on a dead cow or killing and eating on sheep
    They are kinda nasty tasting, over say a hog raiding a row crop

My bear was a fat fall killed bear , he was gorging on acorns and it was probably just the thought process of eating something different

Comment

I have found in my years that there are two leading reason that meat tastes badly.
      1. It was not cared for in the correct manner.
      2. They suck at cooking..

Aoudad ad stinkolinas make great tamales...Black bear is pretty good cooked like a roast and also makes some pretty good tacos...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
        I have found in my years that there are two leading reason that meat tastes badly.

Aoudad ad stinkolinas make great tamales...Black bear is pretty good cooked like a roast and also makes some pretty good tacos...

Road kill makes great tamales..

Comment

I forgot about my bear, in the cooler (I was going to TRY to cook it), and the ice melted so I chunked it.

I did cook my aoudad, and took it to work. No one said it was bad, and every bit of it was eaten.

I did the same with javelina. Same outcome as the aoudad.

Yes, I did eat some of both, and even though it wasn't axis, I wouldn't hesitate to eat it again.

Comment

preach brotha!!!

I gave some smoked javi ham to a guy who swore that it was inedible (and that it was a rodent ) and he raved about how delicious it was..until I told him it was javi.

Comment

I've heard it's really good as sashimi.

Comment

Black bear is pretty decent in roasts or pulled and served on sandwiches, etc. I get a shoulder every year from an uncle that hunts them up here and it’s always a treat.

People are so used to chicken strips and hamburger that anything different throws em off!

Comment

Like most of the threads say here, I had always heard it was terrible and inedible. That was still I actually ate some. Loved it. Wish I would have brought some home with me. All depends on how the meat is cleaned and prepared. Some guys kill a nice buck during bow season, ride it around in the bed of their pickup for a week showing all their buddies and then say deer meat is terrible.

Comment

Everyone needs to get a male dog for food testing purposes! Let me share with you how this process came about. One time years ago while skinning after my morning trapline check I happened to pop a coons testicle loose, well it occurs to me to toss it to my male airedale who was there inspecting the catch thoroughly, well, when I tossed that testicle over to the dog instead of him eating it he sniffs it over good, shifts his body position and hikes his leg to give it a good soaking. Well I determined if it ain't fit for the dog to eat, I sure ain't gonna eat it either! Never had the chance to run bear by the canine consumption tester but if the opportunity ever presents itself, that will be the first test!

Comment

The worse tasting meat I have ever ate...I'd rather eat a raccoon
                      Racoon is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                        All depends on how the meat is cleaned and prepared. Some guys kill a nice buck during bow season, ride it around in the bed of their pickup for a week showing all their buddies and then say deer meat is terrible.
                        I've seen that guy. He was driving from Ozona to Houston with the deer on top of his Suburban with the hide still on it. It wasn't much over 80° so it may have been ok...........

I've always heard to treat bear like you would pork, if you want an eater shoot a young 'un. I think most of the problem with bear is that people want to shoot a trophy giant boar, then complain that the meat suxes.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                          As others have stated above, my wife said it depends a lot on what I eat.
                          Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          This just needed quoted.....

X2!

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
                            The worse tasting meat I have ever ate...I'd rather eat a raccoon
                            I think Mt. Lion is worse but it's in the top 5 things I won't kill anymore because you don't want to eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                              As others have stated above, my wife said it depends a lot on what I eat.

I've been told eating cinnamon prior helps.

Comment

My great grandfather loves bear meat. I was told he preferred it over deer and hogs. I'm glad he did because I think he killed them all where I live. I think I was 9 years old last time I saw a black bear in these piney woods.

Comment

Working...
                                X