No announcement yet.

Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a great morning in Matty. Weather turned out perfect for the surf this morning. We had 25 trout before 8. Then went looking for reds. I cpr'ed a 32 in red and got 1slot fish. We ended up with 1 more red. Couldn't get away from the trout. Lol! New son-inlaw caught his personal best trout of about 5 lbs. Try to post some pics later. Don't know how to do it off phone.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Had a great morning in Matty. Weather turned out perfect for the surf this morning. We had 25 trout before 8. Then went looking for reds. I cpr'ed a 32 in red and got 1slot fish. We ended up with 1 more red. Couldn't get away from the trout. Lol! New son-inlaw caught his personal best trout of about 5 lbs. Try to post some pics later. Don't know how to do it off phone.
      Sounds like good times David!

Comment

Wow David, awesome!

Comment

We banged out 5 limits of trout this morning in the surf plus a couple reds. Yesterday we had 3 limits of trout drifting deep reefs. Released about another 3 limits. It's been pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            We banged out 5 limits of trout this morning in the surf plus a couple reds. Yesterday we had 3 limits of trout drifting deep reefs. Released about another 3 limits. It's been pretty good.
            I keep my eye on all y’all everyday.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
              Glen, when you fish out of the boat in the surf, are you anchoring, trolling with the electric, or staying under engine power, with you staying at the helm and letting everyone else fish? Thinking of trying it the next time it smooths out.
              I usually either anchor or use my trolling motor. Sometimes I drift. I do not stay under engine power.

Generally I know what I am looking for in the surf and I don't need to move around much. I see what I am looking for, pull in and pound them. Rarely do I need to move more than once or twice to get it done and many times I pull up, anchor and we are done in just a little bit w/o ever moving again. Today was an exception to that. I stopped at 5 or 6 spots today because the bait was thin and wasn't holding tight. Our last stop was solid and if I'd hit that spot first we'd have never moved.

The trolling motor works well as long as you keep off the bar. I jacked mine up when a wave picked the boat up and set it down on top of the bar crashing my trolling motor into the hard sand breaking some stuff. I also have torn up my power pole in the surf when I anchored up with my power pole and the waves were going one way and the wind the other. A big wave hit us and twisted up my power pole tearing it all up. So now my preferred method of anchoring up is my good ol' fashioned mighty mite anchor. It's more of a pain vs the trolling motor or power pole but I haven't ever broken one in the surf.

I do like the trolling motor option when I am throwing topwaters in the surf from the boat. I ease down the surf just past the second bar and throw tops up to the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                I keep my eye on all y’all everyday.....lol
                I bet you didn't see me yesterday or today.

Comment

Indianola

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wanna be you when I grow up David!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                      Indianola

Shhhhhhh!!! Don’t be telling no one of those waters there. One of my favorite places to kayak fish.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        I wanna be you when I grow up David!
                        Ain't that the truth!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a great day today with Glenn(coastalducks). We booked a trip for my mother in law for her birthday. We caught a pile of fish and Glenn was very helpful with my MIL, she’s not very good at fishing. Lol. My wife landed a 38” red! We had to chase it down with the boat. Great day on the water and if anybody is looking for a guide in Matagorda give Glenn a call.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            Seems like we’ve taken the other thread to the brink with Tapatalk. I’ll go ahead and start a second thread so it won’t take so long to load here’s the last two days in the surf. Water finally got right.

good stuff here

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              We had a great day today with Glenn(coastalducks). We booked a trip for my mother in law for her birthday. We caught a pile of fish and Glenn was very helpful with my MIL, she’s not very good at fishing. Lol. My wife landed a 38” red! We had to chase it down with the boat. Great day on the water and if anybody is looking for a guide in Matagorda give Glenn a call.
                              I enjoyed it too. Thank you!

Your mother in law did great and caught her share.

Last edited by Capt Glenn; 07-28-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Surf out of POC got right Saturday
                                Morning. Caught a four man limit and released almost that many with some buddies. Some good 3-4 lbers but nothing real big. Really liked anything white, mostly none diamond dsl.

Comment

Working...
                                X