No announcement yet.

Dog breed recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the Black and Tan Coonhound (Hoyt).

The walker hound is good too..
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
      My boxer just passed away. Was a great dog.
      Trying to find something different and not just replace her.
      consider a boxer lab cross then,,, best single dog I have ever had , the boxador gives you the best of the lab and the boxer combined into 1 awesome dog

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        He said guard dog. Lab, poodle and boxer are out.

The two best mentioned that can do everything he wants are the GSD and Doberman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        have to disagree with the boxer not being a good watch dog,,,, mine have all been extremely good,,, even walking around on my land if anything moves or he hears anything he always puts himself between me and the object,,, let him out of the house and if there is a new stick on the ground he will take a protective posture until he knows it is safe, if a car slows down in front of the house he will sound off and hit the fence if he is outside if he is inside he will check all the doors, he is very intimidating without being overly aggressive.... now my lab would run over the tractor and not see it,,,, she barks and anything, everything and nothing,,, when they are both outside I don't pay any attention to her barking but when the boxer barks I am up immediately because something is wrong!
        Last edited by xman59; 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          I’m dieing for another German shorthair. They can do everything you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This,
          Loved my GSP. Her and I in KS on my avatar. Had her for 15 years. Less hyper than a lab. does everything you asked for. Great companion. Left her in the house for hours when at work and never had a chewing problem or potty problem once we got past the puppy stage. Loves to please the master. Very smart and trainable. Crate trainable. Could leave a plate of food on the coffee table and go to the rest room and it still would be there when I returned. Would not look at my bed at home (slept on dog bed beside me) but in hotel she got excited because she knew she was allowed on the bed. Could go on and on. Killed me when I had to put her down. Gave up bird hunting because it just wasn't as fun anymore....

Comment

Blue Lacy - hands down!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
              This,
              Loved my GSP. Her and I in KS on my avatar. Had her for 15 years. Less hyper than a lab. does everything you asked for. Great companion. Left her in the house for hours when at work and never had a chewing problem or potty problem once we got past the puppy stage. Loves to please the master. Very smart and trainable. Crate trainable. Could leave a plate of food on the coffee table and go to the rest room and it still would be there when I returned. Would not look at my bed at home (slept on dog bed beside me) but in hotel she got excited because she knew she was allowed on the bed. Could go on and on. Killed me when I had to put her down. Gave up bird hunting because it just wasn't as fun anymore....
              I can relate to every word. I've never known a breed that each dog had so much of it's own personality. My two were opposites in most ways, and both incredible dogs.

Comment

If you want a large dog, consider an Akbash. They are livestock guard dogs and are incredible. Solid white and originally bred to protect sheep. Much like a Great Pyrenees they will imprint with their “human” herd and will be very very loving and protective.

They will bark though, that’s one of the ways they warn of dangers. Also, they are very relax and chill... remember they have to hang out with sheep... they will lay around conserving energy so that when they sense danger they are ready to go and boy can they go!!! I’ve had my children pull his tail, take two hands and flex it, try to climb him and ride him etc... he will just fall to the ground and look at me like “can you please help me”

They do better with big pieces of land or fencing, if not they will wonder, just part of what they do. I will have another as soon as I get fencing up.

They will shed , but most dogs do... much less than a pyr though. Also, they are hardheaded, and self thinkers but bred for that trait as well... supposed to wonder the landscape with the sheep and think for themselves and not rely on anyone.

Hugely affectionate as a pet and loyal when they instinctively think that their purpose is to protect you from dangers. Great dogs and definitely not a “common” dog so maybe a good fit for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for the velcro dog...Vizsla.

We love our Drahtaar as well, but the viz gets the nod in regards to the shedding aspect.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I’ve had Shepard’s and labs but our golden doodle is the best dog I’ve ever had. My wife wants 2... her and my 6yo are inseparable.

Comment

Catahoula
                      Aussie
                      Red/Blue healer
                      Collie

Comment

Black mouth cur, great loyal dogs that are great with kiddos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                          Black mouth cur, great loyal dogs that are great with kiddos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          Great dogs...love to bark.

Comment

Belgian Malinois. Greatest, most versatile breed on earth.

Comment

I’ll preface this with just scrolling though thread...Don’t want to read entire post from phonephone. Any “working” breed is going to be “hyper”, although not the word that specifically defines their attitude. Non obiedent or uncontrollable dogs are a result of lack of physical or mental activity. Any “working” dog needs WORK. You will have to wear their butts out every day. I just got done taking our lacy and lab out for a short 10 mile bike ride in 95 degree heat. The lab is done, but the lacy is still ready. Just something to think about when looking at “working” breed dogs.

Sorry if that sounds preachy...
                              Last edited by EliteZ28Bow; 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM. Reason: Preachy

Comment

Dauchhund

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                                Not necessarily they are a working dachshund. In Germany they make no such distinction. It is my understanding that it started in Britain, but at the end of the day it is just a dachshund from a working line. I have AKC dachshund that blood trial like their lives depend on it. Having said that I always think dachshunds are a great choice.

-john
                                I have used a standard size, for both a blood trailer and a protective dog
                                My dauchund was very game, to hunt and would give the illegals all kinds of heck our german brown spaniel was a excellent dog to

Comment

Working...
                                X