No announcement yet.

Dog breed recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have thought about a rescue, but the family wants to raise another puppy.

Just a reminder, I am looking for something that wont break the bank. Thinking max is $5-600. Could be a little higher for the right dog.

Comment

I’m dieing for another German shorthair. They can do everything you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        He said guard dog. Lab, poodle and boxer are out.

The two best mentioned that can do everything he wants are the GSD and Doberman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        When I say guard dog, I mean something that scares off the solicitors/strangers that come to the door or back yard gate. Size and bark
        My Weimaraner and Boxer did a very good job of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

German breeds reign supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

I have always liked them. But aren't they a little on the hyper side, like my Weimaraner?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I'm not doubting you....yes, I am....but talk more about their versatility. What makes them the "most versatile breed on earth"? I'm genuinely curious, thought I'm highly skeptical.
              Google. It's commonly known.

Military
              Police
              Drug detection
              Bomb detection
              Border patrol
              Herding
              Search and rescue
              Family protector
              Guard dog
              IPO/Schutzhund
              Seeing eye dog

I'm sure I missed some.

Comment

Google. It's commonly known.

Military
                Police
                Drug detection
                Bomb detection
                Border patrol
                Herding
                Search and rescue
                Family protector
                Guard dog
                IPO/Schutzhund
                Seeing eye dog

I'm sure I missed some.

OK. I misunderstood your position. By and large they are very versatile dogs, no doubt. As a family dog, I'd say there are much better options, with more "home-like" versatility. He's not going to be doing S&R, patrolling the border, finding drugs...he's not blind. GSD are not for everyone. You know we considered getting one, but decidedly wisely enough that they were outside of our need. However....when the revolution comes, I'm sure I'll wish I had one to patrol the perimeter.

Comment

Dog breed recommendations?

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                  I have always liked them. But aren't they a little on the hyper side, like my Weimaraner?

People say that, but I guess I’ve just never been around a young basset hound, or other lazy dog. They are just fun, athletic, intelligent, dog that will protect their peeps...and point a bird for ya.

Still can’t decide whether I’ll get another one when our little dog punches out, or a yeller lab.

Always wanted a border collie too...

Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

OK. I misunderstood your position. By and large they are very versatile dogs, no doubt. As a family dog, I'd say there are much better options, with more "home-like" versatility. He's not going to be doing S&R, patrolling the border, finding drugs...he's not blind. GSD are not for everyone. You know we considered getting one, but decidedly wisely enough that they were outside of our need. However....when the revolution comes, I'm sure I'll wish I had one to patrol the perimeter.
                    You are sadly mistaken. Their loyalty and protective drives make them one of the best family pets available. Did you know that they were once the most popular breed in the US after WW2? They are still #2 or #3 in AKC registrations.

The popularity nearly destroyed the breed in America. There are many lines now within the breed. The American lines are crap. The German lines are different as well. You should have looked into west German show lines. They are more docile than working lines. They still have to work and be titled to breed though. Great family dogs. In the working lines reputable breeders test the puppies drives and place them accordingly. They score them 1-5. 1s go straight to military and police. My boy was a 3. Good drive but an off switch. He is amazing. Great with our grandsons.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 06-13-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Check out the cane corso .

Comment

You are sadly mistaken. Their loyalty and protective drives make them on of the best family pets available. Did you know that they were once the most popular breed in the US after WW2? They are still #2 or #3 in AKC registrations.

No doubt about their loyalty and protective drive, but they also seem to be very high maintenance and need a lot of attention. You certainly know the breed better than I, but my research into what should be expected of a GSD owner is what kept me away from them. When my kids are gone and I have more time at home, I'd probably change my mind. My wife loves the breed, but we're not home enough to have a dog with their kind of needs. It's certainly a trade-off.

Of course they came here after WW2. Who would want to stay in Germany after WW2?

Comment

No doubt about their loyalty and protective drive, but they also seem to be very high maintenance and need a lot of attention. You certainly know the breed better than I, but my research into what should be expected of a GSD owner is what kept me away from them. When my kids are gone and I have more time at home, I'd probably change my mind. My wife loves the breed, but we're not home enough to have a dog with their kind of needs. It's certainly a trade-off.

Of course they came here after WW2. Who would want to stay in Germany after WW2?
                          You could say my dog was like that until 3 years old.....most puppies are? Little tasmanian devil he was. Super chill now. No issues at all. Straight up ******. Lol.

Comment

Black and Tan Coonhound
                            Attached Files

Comment

My Black and Tan weighs a little over 100 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                                Looking for a medium to large dog (prefer working type group) that is loving, does well in a house (especially when gone to work), and wont break the bank.
                                I have considered a Lab, but seems like everyone has one and it would be neat if it was a little more off the wall, but I am not apposed to it.
                                I had a Weimaraner and loved her, but she was spastic until almost 4 years old.
                                Any ideas?
                                boxer,,, gentle with family very smart, loving, and protective.... easiest dog to train I have ever had,,, the boxer I have now was raised indoors and has been known to hold it for over 16 hours without going indoors,,, and be loose inside never had to kennel him after about 3 months,, now the lab,,, on a good day she will make 3 hours unless she is in the kennel
                                Last edited by xman59; 06-13-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X