Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm partial to a mini Aussie.

Comment

I have 3 young heelers that you can have your pick of. We have too many dogs

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
        Complete opposite from what your asking, except the working part.

Just getting a working Teckel (Dachshund). They are a different animal than the American Dachshund.

Not necessarily they are a working dachshund. In Germany they make no such distinction. It is my understanding that it started in Britain, but at the end of the day it is just a dachshund from a working line. I have AKC dachshund that blood trial like their lives depend on it. Having said that I always think dachshunds are a great choice.

-john

Comment

Standard poodle, doberman, Aussie (but they can be high drive and shed A LOT), German shorthair.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            I have become very partial to Hounds, specifically the Black And Tan. Our Josey has the best demeanor of any breed I have ever owned. She will work on command but is fine in the yard or in the house. Very affectionate and does a tremendous job with our younger children. Her Bay is booming but I love it. I can’t imagine us ever being without a B&T in our household moving forward. She just an amazing example of her Breed and a truly amazing animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The redbone in my avatar was a blessing to our house for 14 years. We live in the country so her bay never bothered anyone except the coons and squirrels. Might not work out well in a neighborhood.

Comment

weimaraner or vizsla

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                Maybe worded it wrong? Looking for a larger agile dog. Jump in the truck and take care of its self outdoors dog. Play fetch, not scared of water, enjoys jogs/walks, good guard dog.
                But family oriented and do well in the house in the evenings. I am not against leaving it outside during the day (big backyard and pool), but Houston can be brutal.
                Is there such a breed, HaHa?

My last dogs in order were a German Shepherd, Weimaraner, and a Boxer.

I have a friend trying to point me to a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but I know nothing about the breed.
                Look for a rescue. You can get all that and know what you're getting (as opposed to a puppy).

Comment

Look at a Labradoodle they are a mix of two of the top 10 smartest dogs (Labrador and standard poodle). They seem to maybe check every box you mentioned... you get the good qualities of a lab, with the low/non shedding benefits of a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    Not necessarily they are a working dachshund. In Germany they make no such distinction. It is my understanding that it started in Britain, but at the end of the day it is just a dachshund from a working line. I have AKC dachshund that blood trial like their lives depend on it. Having said that I always think dachshunds are a great choice.

-john
                    Not quite sure I understand the first sentence. There is a difference in a dachshund that is DTK registered than others. Teckel is just basically German for a dachshund. While they are a hound group scenting comes naturally for them. Mine comes from 8+ generations of working teckels that they all had to dispatch animals and blood trail as well as other tasks in order to even breed. I could go on and on, but I love all dachshunds after having my first one. Sorry for getting off topic lol.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                      Look at a Labradoodle they are a mix of two of the top 10 smartest dogs (Labrador and standard poodle). They seem to maybe check every box you mentioned... you get the good qualities of a lab, with the low/non shedding benefits of a poodle.
                      The only problem with the mixing of the 2. Is that you never know what your going to get. As far as coat and personality. My sister has one that sheds pretty good. You may get lucky and get one that doesn't. But it is also as hyper as any dog I have seen and isnt the smartest dog.

Comment

I’d go to a few dog pounds out on the country first. Got my buddy from a pound in the Seguin area, been a great dog.

Comment

Honestly I am not sure you could get a bad personality from them...as long as breeding is done with good stock, but then again that could be said for every breed. Coats yes I agree with you, from what I read that is a toss up on a F1 (direct cross) however there are a lot of F1B dogs available (lab and poodle crossed back with a poodle) from what I can tell this is done to try to more frequently bring out the non shedding qualities from the poodle side.

The smarts you speak of? That's a toss up too all breeds have their exceptions... again its mostly tied to proper breeders using good desirable dogs... I have also seen dogs that want you to think they are stupid but they most certainly aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                            whatever mess the lack of shedding saves, the bloodspatter from the eventual brain shot will make up for it. I've yet to meet a labradoodle that wasn't over-the-top hyper and not as smart as given credit for.

Comment

He said guard dog. Lab, poodle and boxer are out.

The two best mentioned that can do everything he wants are the GSD and Doberman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
                                I’d go to a few dog pounds out on the country first. Got my buddy from a pound in the Seguin area, been a great dog.

Thats a good looking dog, my wifes rescue is a great dog as well. Wasnt a fan until we got him.

But Yes I agree with GSD and Dobermans are both great.

Comment

Working...
                                X