Kali's Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
    We need to ban pools. Fine everyone who has one.

I know people feel strongly about this one way or the other but I just have a hard time using the logic that we must create a new law that restricts liberties because it will keep us safe from other people. I want the needle of society to sway back towards personal accountability and self reliance. Not towards passing laws every day that take liberties from people who have done nothing to deserve it.
    Quoting you but there several that share your sentiment so this isn’t directed only at you.

Nobody is losing their liberty with this law. Boating is not being restricted or made anymore difficult by this passing. You’re not having to go out and spend a bunch of money to get in compliance. I get nobody likes being told what to do but there’s plenty of people in this world that need exactly that.

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction to one incident. It happens often. Most incidents can usually be blamed on operator error, distraction or the like, very few are true accidents. God forbid a true boating accident happen to somebody on here and it turn into a tragedy where someone else was killed because they didn’t want a string attached to them.

It’s not a money grab by the State. Unfortunately laws have to have repercussions because there’s always those that won’t follow them, fines are the easiest.

Agree with it or not it’s law now so I hope everyone to follow it, I know that won’t be the case. Remember though, Its not just you on the water, don’t be selfish. And if you get caught breaking the law please don’t complain. You played the game and lost.

Comment

So let me start by stating that I wear my kill switch and pfd when running my boat at anything more than idle speed. My issue with this law is the term under way. I really don't want to have to wear my kill switch at idle speed when graphing brush piles or idling onto a flat. What worries me is where does this end? Everyone having to wear a pfd the entire time on the water? I understand some peoples reasoning that this is different than a pfd or seat belt law because the boat can keep running and injure someone else but hopefully the LEO's on the water don't ticket people for traveling at idle speed with no kill switch on.

Comment

There is a lot of dumb in this thread.

Comment

Does anyone have a link to the actual bill/law. Would like to see the details. Stopped/engine running/in motion. What about motors without kill switches attached.

Wonder if a lawnmower style seat switch would count too....same effect without having to be clipped to something. Technically attached to your rear end when sitting. Wouldnt work if you stand to drive though. Maybe pressure mat on floorboard type stuff. One more thing to break i reckon.

Comment

I guess everyone is going to have their own opinion. For my personal situation it is going to be a nightmare when I'm running lines. It will be taken off, if I get a ticket I get a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
              Does anyone have a link to the actual bill/law. Would like to see the details. Stopped/engine running/in motion. What about motors without kill switches attached.

Wonder if a lawnmower style seat switch would count too....same effect without having to be clipped to something. Technically attached to your rear end when sitting. Wouldnt work if you stand to drive though. Maybe pressure mat on floorboard type stuff. One more thing to break i reckon.
              Bill Text (2019-06-14) Relating to the use of emergency engine cutoff switches on motorboats; creating a criminal offense. [Effective on 9/1/19]

Moving at greater than headway speed.

Headway speed per TPWD: Slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage without creating a swell or wake.
              Last edited by Hoggslayer; 06-12-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

If your boat or motor did not come with a kill switch you are exempt from the law.

Comment

Thanks yall

Comment

How does a GW check see if you are wearing your kill switch at greater than headway speed?

You can't tell if mine is hooked up unless I stand up.

It is pretty easy to get around, GW pulls up, kill the engine before he boards. No longer needs to be attached.

I believe in kill switches, mine is always attached to my PFD which is always on while running but I think this is a dumb law.

Comment

Working...
                    X