Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

High temp brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    I pulled at 192 and rested it in a cooler for 2 hours. It tasted good but was still a little tough.
    203° for me.

Comment

I pulled at 192 and rested it in a cooler for 2 hours. It tasted good but was still a little tough.
      Never had one ready at that low of IT

Chop the rest of it!

Comment

Tell tale sign it still need a little more time.

Next time if you are in a hurry or you run out of fuel like you mentioned, pull your brisket any time after 165-170, wrap it good with some water or AJ in the foil pan or foil wrap and throw it in the oven at 300-325 eg. Heat is heat once the meat has been wrapped and the the foil will protect it. It will power you into a done brisket with no ill affects. Of course you still need to let it rest for an hour after wards but you can place a wooden spoon in the door to crack it and leave it in the insulated oven to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
          Since we are talking about briskets, the other day I cooked a 7 lber on my BGE. I used the deflector plate and cooked it between 225 and 250 until it reached an internal of 160. Pulled and wrapped in foil then put it back on until 205 then rapped in towel and let it rest in a cooler. Flavor was there, but it never got a bark to it. Am I cooking to low in the initial phase?
          I have cooked 2 in the last few weeks. My first one I got my fire hot hot, like 600. Then shut it down to get it back low. It struggled losing that much heat, but I needed to go to bed so I put it on about 275. It was about 225 when I went to bed. Woke up and it was 215. Kept it there until time to pull it off. Let it rest in the cooler, then ate it. It was awesome with a great bark.

Second one, I kept the temp low from the start and had a small fire started. It was fair. What i learned i think was i didn't use enough wood mixed in with my charcoal. I will try the low from the start again, but with a 50/50 wood to charcoal mix and see if that is the only fix I needed to do, or if that early high heat was the fix.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've moved to cooking hot and fast and haven't looked back. I don't see the reason in spending 12 hours doing something that I can do in 5-6.

People over think things when it comes to brisket when its actually super easy.

1) Heat / Smoke on the front end - cook to IT of 165 then wrap in foil

2) Keep cooking until IT GETS TENDER. NEVER PULL AT A CERTAIN TEMP. TENDERNESS TRUMPS TEMP! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER Pull you brisket at a certain temp. When the probe slides in with no resistance, she's ready.

3) Vent, then rest at least an hour.

4) DO NOT slice your brisket until it is under 160 IT. That is a fatal mistake alot of people make.

Here are a few of my latest, including a full blood A9 Wagyu I cooked over in Sydney Australia.
            Attached Files

Comment

I cooked 4, on Saturday for Konnor's birthday.

mustard rub and generous coating of Chupacabra
              180 degrees for 4 hours
              225 degrees for 4 hours
              225 degrees for 4 hours wrapped

I'm far from a professional; truth be told I've smoked less than 20 briskets in my life, but I did have several people tell me that it was the best brisket they've had.

Comment

First one - black one

Second one- not so black.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                  When I do high heat I smoke till 160 internal temp then wrap it and pull it at 195 to 200 internal temp. Comes out great everytime.
                  This is also how we do it. Haven't had a dry brisket in a long time. Only thing I would add is cook it to 205 and check for probe tender! I run mine over 300 to 350 every time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Tell tale sign it still need a little more time.

Next time if you are in a hurry or you run out of fuel like you mentioned, pull your brisket any time after 165-170, wrap it good with some water or AJ in the foil pan or foil wrap and throw it in the oven at 300-325 eg. Heat is heat once the meat has been wrapped and the the foil will protect it. It will power you into a done brisket with no ill affects. Of course you still need to let it rest for an hour after wards but you can place a wooden spoon in the door to crack it and leave it in the insulated oven to rest.
                    Yup I should've done that. I did wrap in foil and put it in a cooler covered with towels thinking carry over might be enough but this time it wasn't. The point is tender and juicy but what's left of the flat will be chopped for sandwiches.

Comment

Yup I should've done that. I did wrap in foil and put it in a cooler covered with towels thinking carry over might be enough but this time it wasn't. The point is tender and juicy but what's left of the flat will be chopped for sandwiches.
                      Use that chopped for tacos, burritos and nachos. Good eatin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Semi-related link regarding high temp BBQ:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/me...tsie-tomanetz/

I would love to shake that woman's hand...

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                          I've moved to cooking hot and fast and haven't looked back. I don't see the reason in spending 12 hours doing something that I can do in 5-6.
                          TC, those look great. What temp do you run on your hot and fast cooks?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            I'm not buying into any 5 hour brisket method. Nope.

8 hours for market trimmed. 12 for regular.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                            Agree 110%. I'm approaching hour 10 on a trimmed 14lb brisket now. Had to get through a long stall, but that was my fault. (Allowed the smoker to drop close to 225* twice only a few hours in on the effort)

Comment

Exactly what he said, I had one not finish until 215 once. Was great. Always go by feel and probe tender vs temp

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You are correct sir, it's called the Texas Crutch, usually meat will be more tender but bark will suffer and soften up alot. Many folks including self use butcher paper. Best of both worlds, bark of non wrapped brisket and tender like a foil wrap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X