High temp brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    Have one on my Vision kamado for this afternoon's get together.

Do y'all look for a target temp to pull and rest or test for tenderness with a probe? I seem to have finally gotten past the stall and am sitting at 190. I hate to open the cooker even for a second as at this point the fuel is usually getting low and it might not recover.
    I check the brisket flat with a probe. Start checking at 195, every 5 degree increment from there.

Comment

Have one on my Vision kamado for this afternoon's get together.

Do y'all look for a target temp to pull and rest or test for tenderness with a probe? I seem to have finally gotten past the stall and am sitting at 190. I hate to open the cooker even for a second as at this point the fuel is usually getting low and it might not recover.

I start probing at 200.....and then 2-3 degree increments after that.

Internal is merely a gauge to start checking. They finish all over the place...198-205 for me.

Comment

I'm at 192 with plans to eat at 4:00. Hopefully it'll be done.

Comment

I'm at 192 with plans to eat at 4:00. Hopefully it'll be done.

Is it wrapped?

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
            Since we are talking about briskets, the other day I cooked a 7 lber on my BGE. I used the deflector plate and cooked it between 225 and 250 until it reached an internal of 160. Pulled and wrapped in foil then put it back on until 205 then rapped in towel and let it rest in a cooler. Flavor was there, but it never got a bark to it. Am I cooking to low in the initial phase?
            I'm not an expert and maybe someone else will chime in, but I've heard wrapping it in foil actually steams the meat and doesn't allow for a good bark to form. Again, what I've heard and I think read some where. I have never wrapped in foil myself.
            Last edited by js4242; 05-27-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I'm the odd guy. I use a very rare method and never check temps. I know how long to cook it. I don't mind if its "overdone" as some say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Internal is merely a gauge to start checking. They finish all over the place...198-205 for me.
                Yep.

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                I'm the odd guy. I use a very rare method and never check temps. I know how long to cook it. I don't mind if its "overdone" as some say.

My times vary a lot. But I am admittedly bad at keep up with the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

So you’re saying you like roast?😛😉😂

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                    Yep.

My times vary a lot. But I am admittedly bad at keep up with the temp.
                    If I want it to slice...market trimmed for 8 hours. Fall apart brisket tacos...12 hour regular brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                      So you’re saying you like roast?[emoji14][emoji6][emoji23]
                      Roast has no bark or smoke flavor.

Try again.

Comment

I cook brisket around 275-300 and they turnout pretty good most of the time. I think it also depends on the cut of meat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                          I don't have that problem on my BGE, I have seen no difference between the bark an egg or an offset smoker. The egg is just easier to maintain temp.

I didn’t say it was impossible, just more difficult. I find my meat temp rises fast than the bark sets, for that reason, I have largely quit wrapping at the stall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	44563CD6-5780-47A6-856F-BF7C89019CEB.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	24580408

Click image for larger version

Name:	982B91CD-F07D-4BDA-A46D-CFA58488B4DD.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	24580409

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Pretty much the same for me. Mine was reading 202 yesterday when I felt it was ready to pull. It was unintentional, but my smoker ran a little hotter yesterday with all the wind. I was pretty much 275 all day as opposed to my usual 225. I went to check temp about 8hrs in expecting to be stalled and I was sitting about 196-197. Couldn't believe it. Another hour and she was good to go. Wrapped in towel and put in cooler. Had for lunch today. Prolly one of the best I've ever cooked. Fastest one I've ever cooked and the higher temp didn't seem to hinder the outcome......

Comment

Only thing I have learned on a pellet grill is high wind causes meat to dry out quicker.

Comment

I pulled at 192 and rested it in a cooler for 2 hours. It tasted good but was still a little tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X