No announcement yet.

Best fish fry recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Redfish dip in buttermilk then a mixture 1/3 cornmeal, 1/3 flour and 1/3 very fine crushed pecan's and I add Tony Chach to flavor. Very good.
    Catfish just salt, pepper, cornmeal

Comment

Mustard with enough Cajun Chef to turn the mustard a little less yellow. Corn meal with cracked black pepper.

Comment

The buttermilk soak overnight is a must for black drum from the salt - makes em tender works good on catfish and shark too although I prefer the mustard for shark

Comment

If your cooking a good sized batch, we always turn our oven on the lowest bake temp and set the fish inside. Also keep the oven vented just a bit and it keeps the fish crispy. If you close the oven it will cause the fish to become a little soggy.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I’ve tried the mustard with fish and ribs. Noticed no difference in how well the batter stuck or flavor.
            Funny how our grandparents fried fish with no mustard.

Comment

Cornmeal mixed with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

I do 1.5 cups cornmeal to 2 tsp of each.
              Last edited by Grizz83; 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                We have evolved.

Comment

Keep your grease hot and batter right before putting them in. Shouldn't have any issues with sticking or not. It'll stick.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    We have evolved.
                    You might wanna research what is put in and done to foods in America these days. I'll stick to ol fashioned.

Comment

Its hard to beat fresh river catfish,blue bag Louisiana fish fry, Fried in Crisco.

Comment

My goal that I look for and want is crispy and crunchy.....

Comment

I fry fish several different ways including beer batter for fish and chips, a recipe we call Trout Laguna where it's just flour, no cornmeal and a few others.

For plain ol' fried fish I use yellow mustard and cornmeal as well. I like to cut up my fish into smaller pieces and season it with cajun seasoning. Then I mix yellow mustard and Louisiana hot sauce until it's thinned down just a bit. throw all the fish in the mustard and toss to coat. Roll in plain ol' unseasoned cornmeal and fry at 375.

I still fry some w/o mustard every now and then but my family prefers the little bit thicker coat of cornmeal. Sometimes I use buttermilk in place of the mustard. Just depends on what I feel like. Sometimes it's season the fish, roll it in cornmeal and fry it. It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            We soak in mustard or Louisiana hot sauce and then batter with Zatarain's seasoned fish fry. Always turns out great. The mustard helps give a thicker crisper batter and you cant taste the mustard after frying.
                            Sounds like a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                              The buttermilk soak overnight is a must for black drum from the salt - makes em tender works good on catfish and shark too although I prefer the mustard for shark
                              I'll have to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                I was invited to a fish fry by a friend a few years ago that caught a mess of Crappie. I couldn’t eat them because of the overwhelmingly taste of mustard.

Comment

Working...
                                X