No announcement yet.

Best fish fry recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use mustard thinned with beer as the binder and use Zatarans fish fri. You can buy a gallon jug at Sam's. They use corn meal and corn flour mix.

Comment

I use mustard , la hot sauce and Louisiana yellow bag. To get the fishy flavor out of the fish . I soak it in salt water for 2 or 3 days before I freeze it. Dump the water put and replace every 12 hours or so..

Comment

Can believe noone has said frosted corn flakes and flour
        Secret recipe!

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
          We soak in mustard or Louisiana hot sauce and then batter with Zatarain's seasoned fish fry. Always turns out great. The mustard helps give a thicker crisper batter and you cant taste the mustard after frying.
          This is how I do it as well. It never disappoints!

Comment

Andy’s Cajun fish fry, a little spice and great crunch. It was a little spicy for my wife so next time I fry I’ll cut the breading by 1/2 with stone ground corn meal. Always use milk,egg, and cholula hot sauce to soak fillets in before breading.

Comment

Soaked in louisiana hot sauce for a few hours prior to tossing in some cornmeal/flour sure adds a ton of flavor! As for the batter, half flour, half cornmeal, season with seasoning salt (Harlye's is my favorite) until it looks/smells right. If you can smell the seasoning, you aint got enough.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                Salt, Yellow cornmeal, hot lard.
                Nothing else needed except fried taters, some ketchup and a big fresh lemon for my sweet tea.
                Add a big green onion to that and I'm good!

Comment

Nothing exotic here but it's hard to try something new when I could eat this three times a day:

Crappie - straight corn meal, salt, pepper, some garlic powder
                  Catfish, Redfish - cut into thin crappie like pieces, 2/3 corn meal to 1/3 flour, salt, pepper, blackened seasoning

Soak all the fillets in ice water for about a half hour before battering and throw them in 375* grease. Hard to beat!

Comment

I use the mustard as well, and Uncle Buck's fish fry from Bass Pro. Good stuff.

Comment

Dammit I’m craving fried Catfish now! Thx for ideas guys...

Comment

Louisiana Fry in the blue bag. Been used for several years and had people turning up their nose for not being a purist, but they kept getting back in line.

Comment

So mine is coat filets in mustard. Take a Ziploc put in a sleeve of saltines beat them to crumbles add 1/2 cup flour salt black pepper. Throw filets in Ziploc shake then fry in peanut oil. Get down.

Comment

Cornmeal and salt and pepper the end.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

All this dang mustard.

I have been eating fried catfish and crappie for 48 years and never have I or my dad or grandpa put mustard on it....or a brisket/ribs.

Never had an issue with the cornmeal or seasonings not sticking.

Comment

I’ve tried the mustard with fish and ribs. Noticed no difference in how well the batter stuck or flavor.

Comment

Working...
                                X