Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bklem View Post
    No Curt it isn't. Once past the 20 yr mark, we don't automatically receive the "steps". Wife and I both at year 28. Haven't had a raise in a long while here at this house.

Crappy! I was on the board, president for two years, of our local ISD and our teachers got annual raises all but one year that I was on that board. In that year, we were over budget and offered all employees the difference of the budget and the actual. They saved about $1500 per employee off the budget that year and got to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
      She works for a crappy district! I hate to hear that.

Maybe, I’m not sure how they stack up. It’s nestled in between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

She **** sure didn’t get a 4% raise every one of those years.

At least my wife hasn’t each of the 30 years that she has been a teacher.

I can’t remember any year that she got 4%.

Closer to 1 to 2 in a good year.

Comment

Teacher pay raises

Originally posted by Starman View Post
          She **** sure didn’t get a 4% raise every one of those years.

At least my wife hasn’t each of the 30 years that she has been a teacher.

I can’t remember any year that she got 4%.

Closer to 1 to 2 in a good year.

Exactly, I was being facetious. She has had $200 and $500 bumps over the years.

It’s never happened, this is a here and now thing. It’s not on every year thing moving forward.

She’s not bitching, I think it’s a joke.

Last edited by Chad C; 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Crappy! I was on the board, president for two years, of our local ISD and our teachers got annual raises all but one year that I was on that board. In that year, we were over budget and offered all employees the difference of the budget and the actual. They saved about $1500 per employee off the budget that year and got to keep it.

Yea we don't have a lot of money in our district. However, make no mistake, I CHOOSE to live and teach here. I could go right up the road and make more money but I love my kids here and love the fact that we have almost zero issues with discipline. My choice, so I certainly don't want to come off as a whiner. I just wish the entire profession was considered more valuable and compensated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
              Maybe, I’m not sure how they stack up. It’s nestled in between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Man, you in the crooked I 😔

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                This is the minimum allowed by law. Many districts now start out new teachers at above $50K. They will still be required to give raises based on the formula in HB3.
                Can you point me in the direction of these districts that are starring out at $50K please? I can search it from there if I have the school district. We have a budding English major that will need a job next year.

Comment

New Caney ISD is real close if not there.[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Can you point me in the direction of these districts that are starring out at $50K please? I can search it from there if I have the school district. We have a budding English major that will need a job next year.

New Caney ISD is real close, if not there.[emoji106]

Comment

Teacher pay raises

Bisd is well over 50K for “new” teachers.

Houston is the highest paid region in the state followed by Fort Worth.

Comment

I see what you are saying with the $50K starting salary, it's all about getting the new hires. I see that a new teacher with experience to the district is only $62,500 max and max pay is only a bit higher. There is not a lot of room for raises from what it looks like. I see the longevity pay has been suspended in many of the higher paying districts as well. I will have to do some more research for sure.

Comment

NO to increased taxes for raises.

The medium sized district I'm in is now right at a billion dollars in bond debt. Teacher salaries are paid from the maintenance and operating side of the budget and money is constantly being taken from this side to pay bond and interest debt. My taxes are raised at the maximum allowed by the state every year, and I am now paying $1.54 per $100 value.
                          I am asked quite often to run for school board, but my lack of a brain to mouth filter keeps me from doing that.

Comment

UEA website has the salary schedule for all schools in the greater DFW area if you really want to see what the starting salaries are. Most years have been a 1-2% raise but there were years when that jack wagon Perry took money from education that no raises were given. In fact the yearly step up on the schedule were frozen so we got docked pay. They still need to pay teachers their worth. A 4 year degree deserves better especially when you look at its importance to this country. I don’t want to hear the “you choose to be a teacher” **** from anyone either. If that’s all you have to add to this convo then hit the back button.

Comment

You would have to teach 18 years in this district to make over $50,000!

I started back into the teaching field in 2015 and started at 43,575, went to 44,575 in 2016, 45,075 in 2017, 45,575 in 2018 and this coming Sept will get a whopping increase of $200 to 45,775.

Here is the district I am in as of now.

0 229.95 43,000.00
                              1 232.62 43,500.00
                              2 235.29 44,000.00
                              3 237.97 44,500.00
                              4 240.64 45,000.00
                              5 241.98 45,250.00
                              6 243.72 45,575.00
                              7 244.79 45,775.00
                              8 245.86 45,975.00
                              9 246.93 46,175.00
                              10 249.06 46,575.00
                              11 250.13 46,775.00
                              12 252.73 47,261.00
                              13 256.25 47,919.00
                              14 259.30 48,489.00
                              15 262.35 49,059.00
                              16 264.49 49,459.00
                              17 266.11 49,762.00
                              18 268.21 50,156.00
                              19 270.40 50,565.00
                              20 272.60 50,977.00
                              21 275.19 51,460.00
                              22 282.80 52,883.00
                              23 283.65 53,042.00
                              24 288.46 53,942.00
                              25 292.22 54,646.00

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                                NO to increased taxes for raises.

The medium sized district I'm in is now right at a billion dollars in bond debt. Teacher salaries are paid from the maintenance and operating side of the budget and money is constantly being taken from this side to pay bond and interest debt. My taxes are raised at the maximum allowed by the state every year, and I am now paying $1.54 per $100 value.
                                I am asked quite often to run for school board, but my lack of a brain to mouth filter keeps me from doing that.
                                No increase in property tax in this bill. Actually, the state is putting in several billion to lower tax rates. I think it lowers them by 8 cents per $100 value and continues until it reaches 13 cents a few years down the road. All told, the state is adding $11 bil in new money to schools. However, about 5 bil goes to replacing money lost from lowering property taxes and 2 bil goes to raises. That leaves $4 bil in new money for schools, except the state also cut several financial programs like high school allotment money that will end up eating into about half of that. In the end, some schools will come out ahead and some may not. But Dan Patrick will boast about adding $11 billion dollars to public education.

Comment

Working...
                                X