Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    You do realize that teaching is the only industry in the world where it's "OK" to ***** about a 4% raise.
    Very true, I have never received a Cost of Living or annual raise, performance based yes, but never just because.

Comment

You do realize that teaching is the only industry in the world where it's "OK" to ***** about a 4% raise.
      Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
      Very true, I have never received a Cost of Living or annual raise, performance based yes, but never just because.
      Teachers do not get any performance based raises...Or Bonus of any kind.

I've had a lot of different jobs and nearly all of them at least give raises that keep up with inflation. Sure some of them, like construction, I had to go in and ask for a raise. That's just not possible with teachers and the current system.

And I call BS10 if anyone on the greenscreen would be happy long with even a 4% raise every year..Which is more than I've seen teachers ever get.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        I am in favor of pay raises for teachers, although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.

After reviewing all the complaints about property taxes, I got to wondering how many complain about rising taxes but still want teachers to get raises.

I know many will complain about wasted tax revenues, and I am sure there is some of that, especially in larger districts. I have served on my local White Oak ISD board and the Kilgore College board, and I can testify that there was a constant challenge of trying to fund annual increases in operations and raises while not raising taxes more than necessary. Money was always tight and not wasted.

So..how many on TBH are willing for their property taxes to increase (probably considerably) to pay for teachers raises?

I'm not really wanting another discussion about bonds, wasting revenues, stupid administrative decisions, et. Just yes or no about supporting increased property taxes to fund raises.

Fella if you have so much experience on boards yada yada yada...why in the world would you EVER say “although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.”

I suppose, since you’re experienced and so forth, that you know what these teachers put up with these days?? This could be a long post but I’ll summarize.....do you have a clue how much money teachers spend out of their own pockets for supplies, things some of their school kids need, etc? Or the crap they put up with because kids ARE NOT what they once were when it comes to manners, work ethic, etc? I’ll end it there.

And no I’m not a school teacher and neither is my wife. I just have a little common sense when it comes to what I post. Good ‘ol social media...isn’t it great....

Comment

Their are major teacher cuts happening in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by rfroese View Post
            Not sure where all of the other the figures are coming from but according to this article from TEA the minimum state salary schedule got an increase of around $5500.

https://tea.texas.gov/interiorpage_w...hem0c19viQj3ac
            This is the minimum allowed by law. Many districts now start out new teachers at above $50K. They will still be required to give raises based on the formula in HB3.

Comment

You also understand it's the only profession where they have to sign their contract without knowing what their compensation is? It's a messed up system. The inmates run the asylum.

Comment

Here is an example of what it will look like using my district. 1000 students X $1000 (approximately) = $1 mil in new general allotment money. 30% ($300K) of that goes to salary. 75% of that ($225,000) is earmarked for teachers. Im guessing we have 75 teachers. 225K divided by 75 would mean $3000 per teacher. If we had 100 teachers, it would mean $2250. And it doesn't have to be applied evenly among all teachers, as the legislature encouraged a larger % to go to those with more than 5 years experience. The higher your existing teacher:student ratio is, the less money each will end up getting. That is why some wealthy districts will see less than others. So, if you work in a wealthy district (I don't!) that has a high number of teachers per student, and you currently make $60K, a $2400 raise would be 4%.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                  Look up the numbers, facts don’t lie. Look at graduation rates, college grad rates, and look at salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  This is factual, I’ve been invited to tons of homeschool graduations.

Comment

Teacher pay raises

For 17 years of service. [emoji106][emoji2533]

She should have stuck with law school, be ****ed a passion to better our youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Chad C; 06-13-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

It’s annual. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                        For 17 years of service. [emoji106][emoji2533]

She didn’t get a 4% raise for the whole 17 years. [emoji849]

Comment

Teacher pay raises

She didn’t get a 4% raise for the whole 17 years. [emoji849]

No ****, never got a **** thing until yesterday.

Thankful she deserves it and more.

Comment

It’s annual. [emoji106]

No Curt it isn't. Once past the 20 yr mark, we don't automatically receive the "steps". Wife and I both at year 28. Haven't had a raise in a long while here at this house.

**Edit** My wife just reminded me that we got a 2% raise 4 years ago.
                            Last edited by bklem; 06-13-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                              No ****, never got a **** thing until yesterday.

Thankful she deserves it and more.

She works for a crappy district! I hate to hear that.

Comment

It’s annual. [emoji106]

No sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X