No announcement yet.

Hunting lease policy poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s a very good rule. Buy more spots or find a lease that suits your requirements. Simple really

Comment

I would think that’s a fair and pretty standard rule, my thought is if you and your wife hunt different stands and joe blow over here is by his self, y’all pay the same money so why should there be 2x the chance that y’all leave with a trophy over him..??

Comment

We have the exact rule and I have no issue with it. It’s a really good rule.

On occasion it is stretched, but not often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it depends on your set up / hunters per acre or number of guns per acre & what the group wants. A crowded place is going to be more difficult to be able to have lenient guest policies.

Being connected at the hip would never work for me & we have one of the laid back lenient guest policies. Guests can hunt buy themselves, stay at camp / camp pasture by themselves if they choose not to go out. Chrisgunguy & his son are regular guests & can ask him how it works out.

Member's guests & their actions are a direct reflection of the host & all kills / actions taken by guests is no different than if the paid member made them & I have no problem with that.

I remember this same topic coming up several times over the years & there were always a few posts about members not letting guests out of sight the entire trip...good grief, if that's your trust factor then you need new friends or you are likely a little squirrely yourself.
          Last edited by Artos; 03-07-2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
            I agree....guests, if hunting, must be with the paying lease member. If they want to hunt by themselves.....let them pay for their own spot. I don't care if it is a "guest" or an immediate family member, if I am going to be responsible for them they are going to be with me to prevent screw ups. I've seen it happen way to many times whether intentional or unintentional.

My 2 oldest boys ask all the time..."when can I hunt by myself" and I answer when you pay for your own **** spot.....it's either that or stay at home
            Dang, tough love. Thank goodness my father either paid for an extra spot for me, or just gave me the only spot and didnt hunt. I would have been in my mid 20s before I could realistically hunt by myself if he had the same mentality. Or just stayed at home and lost interest in hunting.

I know when my kids become of age, Im going to have to either find a cheap enough place for multiple spots, a place that allows immediate family to hunt alone, or turn into camp cook lol.

Comment

We put the responsibility on the members, guest screws up its on them. If you can't trust em, they have to be supervised. We also have guests that we 100% trust and let em go by themselves with zero worries. I let my 17 yr old niece go by herself but I also trust her making the right decision over 75% of "seasoned hunters". Helps shes killed more animals than 75% of "seasoned hunters" too.

Comment

It's a pretty standard rule at most leases. I personally don't have a problem hunting with my guest as I enjoy spending time in the blind with all of them. I'm not bringing anyone whom I cant sit with.

I can see having family hunt your 2nd stand but as you stated this is your 2nd year on the place. Put in some time and earn the trust of the lease manager & property owner and you may be surprised what comes of it

Comment

Buy another spot when it comes open. I paid for an extra spot on my lease for several years before my son could even hunt.
                  Last edited by Kdog; 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

We have the same rule on our larger property in Junction and it works well. However, folks can bring guests that do not sit. This may sound great to some but on occasion it causes a bunch of folks you do not know in camp, many being women and children. We will likely vote to curtail some of that this year. I cannot stand going to the lease when I expect two-four members and finding 2 members have brought 'the gang' with them. I don't want to watch what I say at deer camp depending on who is around.

Members are splitting electricity, incidentals, etc. on our lease so even though they may not shoot more deer they are increasing my costs. Cleanup and trash is always an issue after these larger groups as well. The money and time is trivial but it adds up if at some point one of those members or camp guests is just not fun to be around!

Comment

Would depend on if it's a deer lease or a beer lease to me.

3 extra people is a good way to burn out every stand real quick

Comment

I with the ( buy more spots or live with it) crowd. Too much to go wrong with me guiding myself

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                          I've got no problem with a rule requiring members to hunt with guests. Makes the paying member responsible for their guests actions and hopefully prevents something that does not meet lease guidelines from being killed.
                          Agreed.

Comment

I think that’s how it should be. If I’m bringing somebody out as a guest, then I usually want to hunt with them. I don’t know their ability to age a deer and it’s my butt if they shoot something they shouldn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              Dang, tough love. Thank goodness my father either paid for an extra spot for me, or just gave me the only spot and didnt hunt. I would have been in my mid 20s before I could realistically hunt by myself if he had the same mentality. Or just stayed at home and lost interest in hunting.

I know when my kids become of age, Im going to have to either find a cheap enough place for multiple spots, a place that allows immediate family to hunt alone, or turn into camp cook lol.
                              let me clarify….the 2 oldest ones are 20 and 21 years old respectively and do not live at home, they just want to hunt for free. Their younger siblings hunt with me now off of my allotment as did THEY when they were still minor's. I am all about getting the kiddos out and introducing them to the sport we all love but at some point, they just become bums when they want everything for free I mean they live in their own house pay for their own bills and expenses...one of them supports my grandchild...….get your own spot on the lease.

I also want to add that I think it is a fair rule to have guests be required to HUNT with a paying member...not necessarily under close supervision at all times or for just being there, such as hanging around camp, fishing in stock ponds if available, etc..
                              Last edited by K. Lane; 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                                Yep, if I was another member on a lease, that was supposed to be let’s say a three gun lease, and one of the members was bringing three other hunters (not paying hunters) with them, I would be ******. I understand that more deer won’t be killed, but that’s not the point. An easy fix to your situation would be to pay for two guns on your lease, then you wouldn’t have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Yes,
                                One paying member w/ a family of 4 hunting separate blinds, can stir up a place quite a bit more than the paying member accompanying his family/guests to the blind.

IMO, I wouldn't push the rule change w/ the lease boss, or other members -as it might not go over too well.

Comment

Working...
                                X