No announcement yet.

Question on ticket from the GW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys Game Wardens are like every other profession. You hear about bad encounters and the ones that you don’t want contact with. I would bet it is about 1 in 10. Same goes for city and state police. Matter of fact I bet it goes for whatever profession you are in too. Some people are just jerks no matter what they do for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      My old boss used to speak of something like this but I know he used the word "deputy" game warden. He was part of the Arizona Creek Wildlife Association and always talked about taking part in stings and road checks up that way.
      My envision wasn’t so much participating as you described, more so a certification that law abiding outdoorsman could participate in which would result in a list of individuals that the GW could count on as allies. It’s comical to think one or two GW’s could effectively police a county as big as Polk County (where my land is) without something like this.

I guess it could be deputizing folks as well, but that’s an entire different subject.

Comment

He's just plain wrong. We quarter our deer and put them in ice chests for the 5 hour drive home. Head is in the bed of the truck along with all the meat and it goes straight to the processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          We’ve been discussing quarters only for years in here. In fact, the boss, Michael, and Legdog had an infamous big thread on here, including pics of them on the side of the highway posing with the GWs getting a ticket for deboning their deer in camp.
          This is were things have always been foggy for me. We have cold storage at the lease and several members debone and enter into the logbook that wee keep there. As far as I know we are within compliance. We have had green jeans come by a few times and look at our book, facilities, etc. and only gave a ticket to a member that rode up with a non-tagged deer to the skinning rack. However, we do not have anything to go with the de-boned meat once you leave the ranch besides the tag and proof of sex. If we get stopped I can see that being a problem. Would we have to drive back to the ranch to show the log?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
            This is were things have always been foggy for me. We have cold storage at the lease and several members debone and enter into the logbook that wee keep there. As far as I know we are within compliance. We have had green jeans come by a few times and look at our book, facilities, etc. and only gave a ticket to a member that rode up with a non-tagged deer to the skinning rack. However, we do not have anything to go with the de-boned meat once you leave the ranch besides the tag and proof of sex. If we get stopped I can see that being a problem. Would we have to drive back to the ranch to show the log?

Good question....I have no idea. We just keep them quartered..

Comment

Good question....I have no idea. We just keep them quartered..
              I do the same, the cooler is just nice to hang them after skinning. I quarter before I leave to make sure I do not have ice directly on the meat at anytime. I think it is odd that the regulations do not mention the tenderloins. I believe if you dump them you are 1. ignorant and 2. getting a ticket for wanton waste!

Comment

I do the same. I think it is odd that the regulations do not mention the tenderloins. I believe if you dump them you are 1. ignorant and 2. getting a ticket for wanton waste!
                4 quarters and the backstraps are the only parts of it you have to keep in an edible state.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  4 quarters and the backstraps are the only parts of it you have to keep in an edible state.
                  I realize that. However, I have had a GW give us grief about neck and rib meat in the past. No ticket but he seemed to be in a bad mood about it.

Comment

I realize that. However, I have had a GW give us grief about neck and rib meat in the past. No ticket but he seemed to be in a bad mood about it.
                    Other states yeah but no requirement here. We waste tons of good meat here in Texas out of pure laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      Other states yeah but no requirement here. We waste tons of good meat here in Texas out of pure laziness.
                      You have a point but this was an 80 pound doe. I will strip a neck clean and search for lymph nodes in a bigger buck but there is not much there in a smaller animal. Same with ribs, most processors will not even take them.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

To be clear I didn't mean to bag on you for that, was aiming it at Texas as a whole whereas other states sportsmen and laws do a much better job at curbing excess waste. Seems like 4 quarters and straps is the norm here and nobody thinks of anything else not even the tenders. Sorry I wasn't more clear, wasn't directed at you.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          To be clear I didn't mean to bag on you for that, was aiming it at Texas as a whole whereas other states sportsmen and laws do a much better job at curbing excess waste. Seems like 4 quarters and straps is the norm and nobody thinks of anything else. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
                          We are good, I think the current laws leave waste on the table. Tenders, neck and ribs. Hell, I have seen some really botched backstrap removal.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never seen anyone 1/4 a deer and not take the tenders and neck roast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve been discussing quarters only for years in here. In fact, the boss, Michael, and Legdog had an infamous big thread on here, including pics of them on the side of the highway posing with the GWs getting a ticket for deboning their deer in camp.
                              Points of clarification:

I got stopped on the interstate by DPS for no license plate on my trailer. Legdog, naturally, decided he wanted to photograph the exchange. Officer asked where we had been and if we had luck, then asked to see inside the cooler. We proudly showed him! He said he was "pretty sure you're not supposed to process beyond quarters" (which Steven had done at camp in order to teach Mary how easy it was to debone and separate the muscles), but he knew a couple of GW friends in the neighborhood he could call to ask. They showed up moments later.

Legdog got a ticket from the GWs for processing beyond quarters and failing to complete the log (first year of the log system, I believe). I got a warning from the kind DPS officer for no license plate.

Good luck to the OP on getting this resolved. It certainly sounds, based on your story, that the GW overstepped a bit. Fortunately, I think most Texas GW's are good at their jobs.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                Points of clarification:

I got stopped on the interstate by DPS for no license plate on my trailer. Legdog, naturally, decided he wanted to photograph the exchange. Officer asked where we had been and if we had luck, then asked to see inside the cooler. We proudly showed him! He said he was "pretty sure you're not supposed to process beyond quarters" (which Steven had done at camp in order to teach Mary how easy it was to debone and separate the muscles), but he knew a couple of GW friends in the neighborhood he could call to ask. They showed up moments later.

Legdog got a ticket from the GWs for processing beyond quarters and failing to complete the log (first year of the log system, I believe). I got a warning from the kind DPS officer for no license plate.

Good luck to the OP on getting this resolved. It certainly sounds, based on your story, that the GW overstepped a bit. Fortunately, I think most Texas GW's are good at their jobs.

Thanks for the details... my paraphrasing sucks[emoji13]

Comment

Working...
                                X