Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ilegal 9 point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 13” rule is not all about the ‘trophy’ aspect, it is about the health of the deer herd.

Same thing applies to game fish laws.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-09-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Why not?
      serious question: how is a GW supposed to know if it is the kids First undersized buck, trout, redfish, ect….?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        That is a ridiculous reach... Nobody is telling them what a trophy should be. Do you feel the same about fishing, or crabbing? Its about maintaining a healthy herd for everybody in those areas....much like your crabs or fish in the bays/gulf.....or duck/birds etc. Restrictions by number/size or both for the betterment of a resource is nothing new.
        Size of a deers antlers signifies a healthy herd?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          the 13” rule is not all about the ‘trophy’ aspect, it is about the health of the deer herd.

Same thing applies to game fish laws.
          What does 13” have to do with deer herd health? If it’s his first set of horns, then yes, maybe. If he’s 4 years old and only 13”, might be a problem there. I’m all for growing bigger deer. Lord knows I spend a lot of money every year on protein, corn, quality food plot seeds, fertilizer, diesel, etc. I know the deer belong to the state and not me. But it would be nice if the TP&W wants me to not kill anything less than 13”, maybe they’d like to pitch in with some funds to help me grow their bucks bigger. Oh, and make their herd healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
            What does 13” have to do with deer herd health? If it’s his first set of horns, then yes, maybe. If he’s 4 years old and only 13”, might be a problem there. I’m all for growing bigger deer. Lord knows I spend a lot of money every year on protein, corn, quality food plot seeds, fertilizer, diesel, etc. I know the deer belong to the state and not me. But it would be nice if the TP&W wants me to not kill anything less than 13”, maybe they’d like to pitch in with some funds to help me grow their bucks bigger. Oh, and make their herd healthier.
            yes lets not count the millions of dollars tpwd spends on fish and wildlife in the state every year. tpwd has no biologist on staff monitoring wildlife. those are fake officials in charge of CWD stations. and wardens that make sure people are not killing too many deer or fish are not part of TPWD. they also dont stock our lakes with fish every year or do studies to make sure deer populations are doing well.

Comment

Size of a deers antlers signifies a healthy herd?

It allows more to get more mature .. the results are there... just like fish and crab size limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                yes lets not count the millions of dollars tpwd spends on fish and wildlife in the state every year. tpwd has no biologist on staff monitoring wildlife. those are fake officials in charge of CWD stations. and wardens that make sure people are not killing too many deer or fish are not part of TPWD. they also dont stock our lakes with fish every year or do studies to make sure deer populations are doing well.
                I understand that. That’s what the cost our licenses goes for. My comment was tongue and cheek. I don’t expect them to participate in my costs. Would just be nice to be able good management decisions on my property without them telling me what to do. We’ve beat this dead horse a million times and the state will prevail. They, the State, have made us firm believers that unless the deer meets a certain criteria, we are bad property managers for wanting to harvest a less than they deem worthy. I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  It allows more to get more mature .. the results are there... just like fish and crab size limits.
                  I guess that 6.5 year old buck with a 12” spread is not mature yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                    I understand that. That’s what the cost our licenses goes for. My comment was tongue and cheek. I don’t expect them to participate in my costs. Would just be nice to be able good management decisions on my property without them telling me what to do. We’ve beat this dead horse a million times and the state will prevail. They, the State, have made us firm believers that unless the deer meets a certain criteria, we are bad property managers for wanting to harvest a less than they deem worthy. I get it.
                    they do allow you to make your choices on your property and it cost nothing. it Is called MLDP

Comment

I guess that 6.5 year old buck with a 12” spread is not mature yet?
                      he is just in that 10 percent category that doesnt ever get over 13. doesnt mean the rule does not work and work well

Comment

Sorry, in my final post I was typing so fast I left some words out. Guess that’s another reason I can’t be trusted to manage my own land!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          So your complaint is that there was no instant gratification and that y’all may have to put in a little more effort??

Sounds like a teachable/learning type of moment to me.
                          Yep, everybody must get a trophy don't ya know... The rule has really helped our area, kids are spoiled with all the bucks they see compared to when I was a youngster, back then if you saw antlers you had better shoot it because your neighbor sure would if you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            I applaud you for take your kid hunting.

Where I get confused, is passing a legal buck THAT THEY WANT TO SHOOT in the name of “management “

I have zero desire to shoot a young deer anymore, none.... but my daughter don’t know how to age and I watched her shake like micheal j fox shooting a year and a half 3 pt. She’s hooked... it’s a deer.... they make more every year.... it’s small low fence property

Take them hunting AND HAVE FUN!!! &@$% management. Manage to have fun with your kids. You never know how long you got. So enjoy

I have to agree! At the end of the day isn't it about the time you have with your son or daugther or both. Time filled with some heart felt concetions that may never be matched. I have a 20 year old that to this day will go hunting and if there is not a good shot are unsure of the shot will not take it. I am very happy that my son will not take a shot at a deer just because it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Both. Started duck and it got so bad I quit the whole state. Deer is getting 2x worse by the year. This year I took a boat over a mile down a very large river, into a mega super larger river and went upstream a ways with a 225 hp out board to access a place that would take people 2.5 miles MINIMUM to access....... saw hunters. Walking around prime rim clueless. Saw a fawn running at speeds not thought possible of a North America animal.

I won’t blame people for not knowing better, they got to learn. But there’s ZERO hunter shortage. There’s a land shortage
                              1000%, the problem is too many people.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                before AR in most areas kids would have to hunt longer just to see a deer. now most of those areas have strong herds and it is common to see 5 to 10 deer a trip as opposed to maybe 5 per season before AR. everyone complaining about AR just do the paperwork to become MLD and then you can shoot that 10 inch buck or a doe all season long. problem solved
                                Good point and if you don't qualify for MLD your place is too small and you don't need to be shooting that 10 inch buck anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X