Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ilegal 9 point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Lots of good stuff here. But the biggest misconception is the AR is to “produce trophies “. It’s not it’s a byproduct of a better age class. When I started hunting at around 11-12 I remember hunting 3 years.... years.... years before I saw a deer on stand. Now on same property I can see them daily. Before AR (that I admit I fought tooth and nail for) I had around a 14:1 buck tondoe ratio... now I’m closer to 3:1 and can rattle in bucks

So since AR:

I have more deer
    I have more bucks... some legal some not
    I have bigger buck
    I have a better age structure in my deer herd
    I have a betterherd

And I spent a few extra hours in blind with daughter p get her a buck
    All wins to me
    Understood. I don’t disagree that there are positive benefits to the rule, but this rule is generally geared toward sportsmen. The benefits are not unanimous, else we wouldn’t have discouraged youth hunters. Would be great to have some flexibility for the youth.

Comment

Take them hunting AND HAVE FUN!!! &@$% management. Manage to have fun with your kids. You never know how long you got. So enjoy
      Management of a deer herd doesn’t take the fun out of hunting.

Comment

Congrats on following the law

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Doesn’t to me. I love it

Butnot everyone had same goals and “management “ plans

If I’m managing trophies and neighbor is managing maximum herd capacity and we’re both on 30 acres we aint managing $&%@ but to get frustrated. And that’s not what it’s about for most hunters

Comment

Doesn’t to me. I love it

Butnot everyone had same goals and “management “ plans

If I’m managing trophies and neighbor is managing maximum herd capacity and we’re both on 30 acres we aint managing $&%@ but to get frustrated. And that’s not what it’s about for most hunters
            You’ve lost track of the topic. While I agree with your scenario, AR (original topic) is meant to manage an overall deer herd for everyone with 30 acres or 30k acres.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
              Understood. I don’t disagree that there are positive benefits to the rule, but this rule is generally geared toward sportsmen. The benefits are not unanimous, else we wouldn’t have discouraged youth hunters. Would be great to have some flexibility for the youth.
              before AR in most areas kids would have to hunt longer just to see a deer. now most of those areas have strong herds and it is common to see 5 to 10 deer a trip as opposed to maybe 5 per season before AR. everyone complaining about AR just do the paperwork to become MLD and then you can shoot that 10 inch buck or a doe all season long. problem solved
              Last edited by Javelin; 12-09-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                before AR in most areas kids would have to hunt longer just to see a deer. now most of those areas have strong herds and it is common to see 5 to 10 deer a trip as opposed to maybe 5 per season before AR. everyone complaining about AR quit complaining and do the paperwork to become MLD and then you can shoot that 10 inch buck or a doe all season long. problem solved
                I’ve never seen any data nor article suggesting that deer populations exploded in non-AR areas with the introduction of AR. Maybe I have just been out of the loop. But I’m willing to learn, please send me links ILO personal anecdotes, as my personal experiences have not been that, but that’s just mine.

But to your second point... are you suggesting that a kid (or their parent/mentor) must be a lease-paying hunter or landowner to shoot <13”? Now the hurdle is even higher.

But maybe I posted this on the wrong thread, I don’t see ”everyone complaining”. I thought I was posting on a thread with others who are discussing our future hunting heritage.

Comment

So your complaint is that there was no instant gratification and that y’all may have to put in a little more effort??

Sounds like a teachable/learning type of moment to me.

It was a teachable moment and I'm not complaining. It has nothing to do with "instant gratification." Boy is nine and has been in the stand every weekend.

You make a lot of assumptions and judgements based on those assumptions. There's your teachable moment, mouth.

Comment

Many of you may not be old enough to remember going hunting and seeing nothing.

I grew up in East Texas when there simply weren't any deer because of poor management. That has changed for the better in lots of places, including where I used to hunt.

I'd still rather sit in a stand and see deer I can't shoot, than sit there and see nothing.

Comment

If you are that serious about letting your kids shoot any buck that walks out why not hunt a non ar county. Texas is a big state, not all of it is ar restriction.

Comment

Some of us believe our posterity should be hunters. Others believe they should be sportsmen. Not mutually exclusive you say? Well, yes, that’s true. But they have inherently different objectives.

Hunting focuses on killing an animal for food. Our earlier ancestors, native Americans, etc. were hunters, not sportsmen. Hunting was not always a sport.

Sporting focuses on means, methods, glorification of the animal (at least to a degree), and a higher level of fulfillment and satisfaction for the killer than just his belly.

Many of us are both. I personally feel both are fine. But whichever you are, nobody flat-out hunts out of necessity anymore. The cost to hunt, limited access to game (not necessarily population, but legalities/seasons, distance to hunt-able ground, etc) make your local grocer MUCH more economical. Sure, filling the freezer helps us justify our past time and offset some cost.

Nonetheless, TPWD’s push to get bucks to a mature age is sportsman-driven ($$$ debate aside), and many young hunters are just not there yet. Some are, and that’s fine, too. But it can have a negative effect on young hunters. Why should a hunter have to “earn” a kill over a long period of time? I don’t make my seven year old earn his protein every night. He is learning lessons of patience, drive, persistence in other areas of his life. The “sporting” mentality has overtaken our hunting culture and nearly replaced it’s basic tenant, providing food. Again, they can coexist, but I think we have to be careful to not lose sight of what it is we’re really doing, what really matters and what doesn’t.

I realize my position is counter to many reading this. But Sporting has been engrained in many of us and “hunting” has been redefined by the marketing, advertising and social media we see throughout the “hunting industry”, TBH being no exception—and really a guide for many, in some respects.

Make no mistake, I love big antlers. They make us proud. They’re a symbol of prowess and status in the animal kingdom. But should all hunters be forced to be sportsmen? Because, to suggest that a young kid killing an immature animal is likened to “everyone getting a trophy” and several other similar comments is basically asserting that it’s unacceptable simply be a hunter.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed on this because I realize hunting and sporting are one and the same to most here. But maybe it can be food for thought for some. I don’t know.

God bless and happy hunting. Or sporting.
                        I agree with this. ^^^^

Comment

"All about them kids " so tired of hearing this. Kids are spoiled rotten now days. Little Johnny has to kill one so he can put it on social media. Let him work for it. I promise it won't hurt them

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            "All about them kids " so tired of hearing this. Kids are spoiled rotten now days. Little Johnny has to kill one so he can put it on social media. Let him work for it. I promise it won't hurt them

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                            I'd say he is working for it. He didn't shoot the deer and didn't complain. I merely stated I watched him let it walk. Y'all have turned this into an AR/Kids are bad issue. He is working for it but you have no knowledge of that, do you Snowflake?

Comment

Agreed. If anything its made it funner at our place.

I’ve never seen any data nor article suggesting that deer populations
                              I have been hunting the same slice of east texas dirt my entire life. We've owned it since 1971. Im 41 and killed my first deer there at 5. I can remember seeing 4 or 5 deer over an ENTIRE SEASON. Now I'm upset if I only see 3 or 4 a day. Its the only deer woods I've hunted. We came into ar on the second or third vote.

My son (15) and wife (39) also killed their first deer on that ground. AR is the reasons both of thier first bucks where not 2 year old basket 6s. Neither have taken a deer this year but my wife is the only one thats picked up a rifle and thats only been 3 or 4 sits the rest have been bow.

Im glad my son has gotten the archery bug so hard. Hes had many encounters but just hasn't had the right shot opportunity.

Id say theyre hunting. Theyre hunting the first bow deer
                              Last edited by Quackerbox; 12-09-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                                Many of you may not be old enough to remember going hunting and seeing nothing.

I grew up in East Texas when there simply weren't any deer because of poor management. That has changed for the better in lots of places, including where I used to hunt.

I'd still rather sit in a stand and see deer I can't shoot, than sit there and see nothing.

NW Louisiana I would chase more poachers out my stand than I would see deer in a season. It was like punishment going deer hunting. Thank God for ducks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X