No announcement yet.

bleaching a skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do you just rub the volume cream on direct?

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
      So do you just rub the volume cream on direct?
      Yes, with a paint brush.
      Don't get it on your skin. It stings pretty bad if it contacts your skin. Wear gloves.

Comment

We boil them with the 40 volume hair developer creme and the let dry and use mop and glow then spray seal them.

Comment

Look up whitebone creations on YouTube... that’s how I do mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tag for later

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              Get you a bowl and a cheap paint brush.
              Pour some cream in the bowl and start painting it on the skull. Cover every surface.

Some people wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too fast. When it dries it stops processessing. I found the pastic wrap to be messy and more trouble than it's worth.

I just leave the painted skull in the sun for a few hours. When it's dry, wash the residue off and apply another coat of hair bleach. Dry, rinse off, repeat.

Two coats usually gets the skull white enough to suit me but I've used 3-4 applications for whitening old yellow skulls.

I do this but instead of the plastic wrap, I use a loosely tied Walmart sack. It slows down the drying of the creme developer more like the plastic wrap than open and makes for an easy pull out of the top without the mess. The handles of the bag tie easily too. I do them twice as well so its really easy. If its not sunny, and I'm working on it in the cold months, I place it in front of a space heater to help activate the developer.

That being sad, I have now gotten to the point where I'd rather just drop them off at Shake N' Bake's (2nd post in this thread) and let him make deer head stew with his kids for $100 /deer or $175/pig. Tobin did an incredible job on my ~300 lb boar skull....no grease whatsoever. I'm finally working on replacing his broken cutter tonight so no pics just yet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

After 6 years, the skull is literally splitting apart. The cutters are splintered. .
                No matter what you clean or whiten with, hog tusks need to be filled with epoxy, elmers or something. They are hollow and will crack unless filled.

Comment

Peroxide from the drug store works too. It’ll just take a week or two to take full effect. Spray liberally twice daily and be careful not to hit the base of the antlers. Sunlight helps speed the process up, but isn’t necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    No matter what you clean or whiten with, hog tusks need to be filled with epoxy, elmers or something. They are hollow and will crack unless filled.

Interesting...glad you posted this before I completed mine. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                      X2. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Funny thing is that they usually know what you're buying it for.
                      Yep!

The folks working there will legit be able to tell you exactly what you need to bleach skulls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                        So, is there directions on bottle? Use full strength, soak it? Never used it, following along.

Check out White Bone Creations' youtube channel. He has the best tutorials i've seen on preparing just about any skull.

Comment

try this... go to the pool supply buy Aquasilk

The best stuff you will ever use.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                            try this... go to the pool supply buy Aquasilk

The best stuff you will ever use.

Mmmm, that’s a new one.... at least first I’ve heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
                              whats the best stuff to use to turn the skull white
                              In my opinion? Sunshine.

The skulls that are painted with beauty products look too white to me. I like the sun-bleached look. It's more natural.

Comment

Van Dykes skull mounting-bleaching kit

Comment

Working...
                                X