This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    Surely there's more to this story than someone 'ruining' his moment in the sun? Anyone have any info on it?

Fitting name for a Longhorn!
    Theres probably about 10 different versions of a story out there. Last night on Twitter, one of Baylors recruiting guys changed his story 3 times in about 20 minutes. First it was a lie Texas told, then it wasn't a lie, it was just dirty recruiting, then it went to Texas just paid him.

In the end, I love when my school signs big guys. I don't care the star rankings just give me big guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
      Theres probably about 10 different versions of a story out there. Last night on Twitter, one of Baylors recruiting guys changed his story 3 times in about 20 minutes. First it was a lie Texas told, then it wasn't a lie, it was just dirty recruiting, then it went to Texas just paid him.

In the end, I love when my school signs big guys. I don't care the star rankings just give me big guys.
      Bodies don't do much. Look at the Texas OL a couple years back, they were horrid and helped lead to sub .500 seasons.

Let's be honest, you want big guys with elite talent. We all do.

Give me 3 - tyler Johnsons (Texas, Georgia, OU, Bama, Florida, LSU, A&M etc) over 3 - Hookfins (Texas, Baylor, Illinois, Minn, Auburn, Houston, La Tech).

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
        Bodies don't do much. Look at the Texas OL a couple years back, they were horrid and helped lead to sub .500 seasons.

Give me 3 - tyler Johnsons (Texas, Georgia, OU, Bama, Florida, LSU, A&M etc) over 3 - Hookfins (Texas, Baylor, Illinois, Minn, Auburn, Houston, La Tech).
        time will tell.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          He will stay with the team through the bowl game and see where teams settle out with players leaving early. I’d like to see him stay but he’s got a lot of talent and the ability to start a lot of places.
          He’s doing it the right way imo. He will land somewhere and has the talent to start immediately. He got hosed by Fisher imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
            Some Bowl fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Gonna be some good games.

Comment

time will tell.......
              I LOL'D at his comment. Way too much stock being put into kids that haven't graduated high school yet. Them Aggies get way too giddy over recruiting classes. It's all speculation at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you read the article in the Athletic about recruiting Oline guys? If not, I suggest you read it as it is a very good read. You recruit guys to your profile and in Texas case, Johnson / Hoofkin / Sheppard are all Tackles that have length and athleticism. Texas took Sam Cosmi (offers from UH, Memphi, TCU) as a low three star (was ranked 1147), redshirted him and he was a Freshman All-American this year. Most thought he was a JAG.

My point being, OL is the hardest position to recruit to and develop. You need to shoot to score, cause you are going to miss. Of course we all want to to Sign 3 Tyler Johnson's but in reality there are not that many of those guys floating around. But who is to say Hookin won't be better than Johnson. OL more than any other position is a roll of the dice. I would rather take my chances with big bodies than skill guys to build my roster.

The Texas OL is in way better shape than it has been in years. They have a new coach leading that front in Herb Hand. They were able to redshirt all 4 freshman OL guys last year. They are starting to build the depth they need. A lot of this years success was because the OL played much better.

Comment

In a press conference yesterday Trayveon had this to say.

I asked RB Trayveon Williams about no Texas A&M players through the years declining to play in bowl games:
                  ‘That doesn’t even cross our minds. Every opportunity we get to wear the maroon & white uniform, we want to do that’

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    I LOL'D at his comment. Way too much stock being put into kids that haven't graduated high school yet. Them Aggies get way too giddy over recruiting classes. It's all speculation at this point.

Nothing wrong with getting giddy over a top recruiting class.

Comment

I tend to agree, except Hookfin has a ton of upside with great length and grades out as a 4* tackle. I'm glad Texas is finally to the point that they can refrain from playing true freshmen OL.

They pulled some good OL kids last cycle and had a chance to red shirt all four.

The OL is in good hands and headed in the right direction, heck RS Freshman Cosmi just recieved a nod as a freshmen All-American as a 3* prospect. Williams was a 3* prospect.

Development is crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                        He’s doing it the right way imo. He will land somewhere and has the talent to start immediately. He got hosed by Fisher imo.
                        Yes that’s what I think as well . I still think he is a better QB then Mond will ever be .

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Lmao. I’ve never seen horn fans get excited about recruiting classes being ranked high, smh. You have never made a comment like the above until now. Must be random chance that you don’t make this type of comment until aTm has a better recruiting class.

On a realistic note, I agree that coaching and player development play a huge part but you can’t deny that recruiting rankings don’t correlate to production. High school player rankings have improved quite a bit the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JVasquez View Post

Nothing wrong with getting giddy over a top recruiting class.
                            These sips. We heard about it ad nauseam last year when they had a good class and got some good in-state talent. Now that their time is over, recruiting is speculation and nothing to get excited about. Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                              Yes that’s what I think as well . I still think he is a better QB then Mond will ever be .
                              I agree. I’ve seen both play in person and throwing the ball just comes more natural to Starkel. Mond has had some truly awesome and dynamic moments but those are too far and few between for me.

Comment

Surely there's more to this story than someone 'ruining' his moment in the sun? Anyone have any info on it?

Fitting name for a Longhorn!
                                So, Texas had him pretty well locked up, but they had told him they fully intended to redshirt him as he would be spending most of his time with Yancy! BU slipped into his recruitment with talk of seeing the field early. (His parents, from what I understand.) Did their homework on both schools and as they started to learnd more about the BU scandal it seemed to leave a bad taste in their mouth. In the end, it appears his folks steered him away from "early playing time" and towards "player development" on the forty.

Comment

Working...
                                X