No announcement yet.

Losing interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up bass fishing every chance I got. 2 years ago sold my boat and dont care to fish at all. hunting however, I love more than ever. killed my first at 8 years old. I am 35 now. I have never killed a deer big enough to be a pope and young but still hold out hope that one day I will. I dont go just to kill I love being at my cabin at the lease all alone relaxing or working on making improvements on the deer herd. I love everything about it and probably hunt longer and harder now than ever

Comment

Just a suggestion for those that no longer feel a desire to hunt, find a less fortunate young kiddo and show them the ropes. It will be good for everyone. Additionally, if you have been feeder hunting for a long time ditch the feeders and hunt some trails. Not bashing on hunting feeders, but it's a different kind of experiance when you search out a trail and set up on the ground.

Comment

I recently got on a new lease after hunting the same piece of property for 20 plus years. It renewed my passion for hunting and reminded me how good I used to be at it (yeah I could use some polishing).

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

When big white tails became a major money game I kinda started tapering down

Comment

I have fallen way off on hunting, I do like to go to new places and hunt different ground, like Mexico is totally awesome, just got back from an Oklahoma hunt, we were across the fence from Colorado and 5 miles from New Mexico, did not kill anything but had a great time. As far as hunting on the places we have, i just sit on the porch and cook and drink cold beer, let the kids do most of the hunting.

Comment

I love to hunt and have only hunted 3 season's but occasionally need to give myself encouragement. I hunt completely alone and don't really personally know another deer hunter other than hunters I've met here and there and only have a small piece of woods I hunt so it gets old sometimes but Ill still go almost every weekend.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have started killing clays! We have a nice range east of Colorado Springs that I try to shoot at twice a week. Not too expensive, a short drive, and a lot of fun.

I started bird hunting. Opening day I got my limit of 3 Roosters. It is a lot of walking, which I need to do anyway, and my buddy's GSP is just awesome to watch. When we hunt it is about her having fun, and a pheasant or 2 is icing on the cake.

Comment

Not burned out, but I have got a little discouraged at the farm. Always been selective on the deer and keep ten acres of food plots plus penned in feeders. Keep the hogs in check as best as I can and put very little pressure on the deer. Used to be quite a few does come thru, raise their babies on the place and it was always nice to watch them grow.

I had some "if its brown its down" guys from Houston move in on the property next to me and for the past two years they have shot it up. Opening rifle weekend this year a lot of shooting went on in two days and continually driving the fence line on 4 wheelers. My other neighbor told me he is getting tired of it, we have never had any problems. He talked to them and they told him we will high fence it and you wont have to worry anymore. I own a 147 acres and they own 200. So, it has been a little discouraging the past few years. I dont care if they are taking them legal, bucks will come and go. Reckon maybe I can have a chat with one of the owners and show him my place.

Now when I go to hunt in New Mexico or on an exotic hunt, I am raring to go.

Comment

I feel you bro. I’m kind of there myself. Only been to the lease twice since bow season opened, just not feeling it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
                      Any of yall had the issue of losing interest in hunting over the years? I know its probably an odd question to ask considering I'm on a hunting forum, but I've hunted the same property out in West Texas since I was 12 and it's just not the same. Used to wake up at 4 or 5 am wide eyed but now it feels like if like a chore. Don't get me wrong, seeing a big ole mature mulie still gets me going. But getting there is the issue. Maybe I'm rambling but was something I've been thinking about today. New scenery perhaps?

OP, read this earlier in between calls at work, and just now getting back to it.
                      Yes, I lost interest for a while. For me it became more work then fun, and like you where I was hunting had gotten old.

I ended up getting off the lease I was on, and really didn't get back into deer hunting until a few years ago. It wasn't because I had completely lost interest all together, but more of the lack of opportunity and time.

I'm hunting public, so I don't feel the pressure like I have to go because of the money spent on a lease. And I've never take a deer with a bow, so I some what have a goal of putting on down with the bow.

The fact you still get excited about seeing a big ol'e muley says you still love hunting. You're just burnt out hunting were you are. And the fact you've been there since age 12 and its hard to get there probably has a lot to do with where you are now.

Like others have suggested, find some where new to plan for and hunt. It will probably get you going again. And give you something to look forward to.

Comment

I’m young, but I’m the opposite. Seems every year I’m thinking about new stand setups, new camp additions and so on.. Everytime I leave, I can’t wait to get back. I enjoy the work weekends, the camp life, and the hunting. Maybe it helps that I live a pretty good ways away from where I hunt, so that I never get burned out. It’s also not all about the hunting for me. I truly enjoy the camp life just as much as the hunting. I went without a lease this year, and it just ain’t me. I may one day, but for now, I enjoy every little part of it.

Comment

I was kind of feeling the same way after moving 5 hours away from our family lease of 28 years about 6 years ago-the drive sucks. I did a lot of solo hunts due to my schedule but my dad retired last year and has been there almost every hunt this year and that alone makes it worth it. I don’t think the hunt is nearly as important as the time spent at camp telling stories and just experiencing nature. I still get excited when a big buck comes around but that is just a tiny part of why I hunt.....
                          Reasons I hunt...
                          Nothing like seeing the sun rise and the world comes alive-good time to talk to god.
                          Hanging out with friends and family.
                          I love venison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you need a new challenge and/or different goal. Same ol same ol does get boring. I'll never conquer public land so it keeps me going, not much interest in the trophy and management game anymore. Try something different before giving up.

Comment

I have not hunted yet this year but I attribute it to several factors: I have had success the last two years killing 2 P&Y’s and maybe my thirst for that is diminishing. I hunted all day for two straight weeks before I killed my first P&Y and than felt a bit down after the thrill of the cat and mouse game was over. Secondly, I find myself enjoying looking at game cameras, filling feeders and just being out at the ranch as a stress reliever. I go to the ranch to escape work and it is just cool to see rubs and scrapes and just enjoy the peace and quite. Another reason is that I enjoy taking new hunters out and sharing the experience of their first hunt more than anything. Last year my daughter in law, my son’s girlfriend and one of my grandsons harvested their first deer and it was pretty cool to be a part of that and their excitement was a whole lot better than mine would have been if I killed the deer. I dont spend much money on hunting besides the corn, we own the land, I use a ten year old bow, I don’t usually wear camo to hunt i, so it is not a financial issue but more of a change in what excites me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really have not lost interest...Its the PRICE and the DRIVE through those towns like Austin/San Antonio/Houston to get to a Prime Hunting grounds...

Sure there's some good hunting around here Matagorda /Wharton/Jackson Counties BUT its all Leased up. I keep looking NADA

I see deer every day and I still get a RUSH

Comment

Working...
                                X