No announcement yet.

Losing interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say that I've lost interest, but my priorities have definitely changed. For a good 20+ years hunting/fishing WAS my life, and it was my main priority in life. I would go whenever I had free time, and even when I didn't. Every weekend and vacations were dedicated to it.

I still love to hunt and fish, but I'm not chomping at the bit like I was. I think I enjoy it more when I do go.

Comment

I had rather my Grandson's are great nephews kill them. I'm 64 and have killed my share of deer. I would feel guilty if I killed a big buck that one of them might have got a chance at. That's just me. I do let them kill a doe are two for my freezer.

Comment

Gaining here

Comment

I read this OP about an hour ago, came back to it to respond....

Started hunting with my Dad when I was around 10+- and I was hooked for life. Took my 3 son's out and had a lease every year of their life and mine. I just turned 66 this past Saturday, at the lease with some of my family who could be there.

NO, it's not the same feeling and excitement I've had for so many years, but....it's just tougher now with physical limitations as time goes on....I'm a Hell of a lot more comfortable at home vs the RV...but it's not that bad. My heart STILL pumps when I see ANY game critter and we have a good population. But these days I'll wait until the latter part of the season to fill the freezer.

Until then, I'm ANTLER/TROPHY hunting! What I enjoy more than anything is just sitting, watching, anticipating. My body continues to grow old, but my heart still "enjoys the hunt."

As I say these days and have seen many state the same..."I'm not mad at 'em anymore." I just thank the Lord I can still make the drive and enjoy all Nature provides! All depends on YOUR definition of hunting...it's a GLORIOUS experience, at least for me.

Comment

Uh no.

Comment

Get off your lease and use that money to book with an outfitter for a 7 day hunt in the Midwest. It will ramp things up again for you. Also maybe look into changing lproperties.

I hunt two different properties so it’s not as bad, but I too still seem to get tired of the same ole same ole sometimes. That’s another reason I picked up a lone wolf and climbing sticks for a run and gun set up. I can hunt a different tree or different part of the farm every sit if I want to and at least it’s “new” and “new” brings excitement. Even if only for a few hours, it will get you through a weekend.

Comment

I am growing sick of the amount of poachers ruining hunting as well as the lack of respect for the animals I continually witness. Many have also turned it into a rich mans game here in TX; over commercialized. The best deer go to the highest bidder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My priorities have changed a lot over the years. I use to miss hunting and each season that passes, it bothers me less. I haven’t sat in a blind in 4 years now.

2 young children and a vast amount of interests require me to focus more on that. I still love the site though and I gain a lot from being a member here, so I’ve kept coming here.

But yes, I’ve lost a lot of interest. I’m thinking about going traditional to try and gain my interest back. Maybe teach my kids here in a few years.

Comment

I have felt that way before. 25 years ago I went to archery to rid myself of that and more recently 10 years ago, I moved to pistol hunting and now I alternate between them both to keep the challenge and excitement up. Killing a deer at 100 yrds or more with a pistol is very exciting.

Comment

I used to be the dawn to dark every waking moment hunter. I just don't have the want to that I used to. Now taking kids hunting and fishing is what gives me my charge anymore. I do spend a lot of time with habitat improvement on my farm. And, I really enjoy seeing the wildlife take advantage of the fruits of my habitat labor.

Comment

I’m right there with losing interest but my boys 22 and 12 keep me going. It’s all about them now but I don’t know how many more years.

Comment

I think game cameras have changed my hunting want too. If I’m not seeing good bucks on camera it makes me not want to go out and hunt. I would rather hang out in camp and drink beer. It also works the other way around, if I got a good one on camera it’s hard to get me to do anything else but hunt. I do enjoy going out with my kids hunting anytime though.

Comment

I'm with ya... I got off the lease I was on end of last season.

Comment

Last few years I have had to drag myself to the blind. Have not hunted yet this year. My blind is 200 yards behind my house.

Comment

I enjoy the camp probably more than the hunt. But I still enjoy getting up at 4 am and sitting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X