No announcement yet.

Losing interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure why, but I really, really enjoy helping my buddy manage his place by shooting does, culls, etc. Probably more than I do worrying about whether I'll get a big buck before my neighbor shoots it.

I love being outside and I love hunting animals. Don't care as much about the antlers, though a surprise set will still get my pulse up quick.

Comment

When my kids get out of the house, I’ll probabky give up the lease game and hunt out of state couple times of year. I love the “camp” aspect of the lease but too many times a lot of the guys just get drunk and loud

Comment

You know it’s getting bad when your wife thinks something is wrong with you. I love preparing and shooting my bows as much as possible but the desire to go hunt is fading. My older two boys are in college and i just don’t have the drive to go hunt by myself. I am lucky to live in an area with tons of axis so needing meat is my motivation. With full freezers it’s hard to get motivated. Of course that all changes if a giant shows up on camera.

Comment

I think much depends on your expectations and what you are trying to draw from the experience. When I get excited about an upcoming trip to the lease I am mostly excited about getting out from behind this desk and leaving the city for a couple of days. If my excitement was based on the expectation of killing a nice buck, pretty much every season would end in disappointment. Where I hunt it is doubtful that I will ever see a 130+ buck much less get within bow range of one. I guess this city-dweller is just happy to have a place in the country to go unwind, enjoy nature and maybe bag a doe or stick a pig. So to answer your question, my passion for going to the lease has not waned however the actual hunting part is not as important as it once was. I always come home relaxed and refreshed whether or not I loosed an arrow or pulled a trigger.

Comment

I took a break from hunting 2010 until 2015 due to burn out for different reasons. Fast forward I retired in 2015 found a decent lease for our area close to home. I don’t put allot of work/effort into it any longer but I am back to enjoying hunting again, especially with the grandkids.

Comment

I have lost a lot of interest. I love to hunt but its just not the same. hard to get excited about having to shell out a ton of money just to get to hunt these days. Used to be able to find people to let ya get a doe for some meat and now anybody that owns more than 2 acres wants you to pay top dollar for a deer. venison probably costs more than waygu these days

Comment

The season kinda snuck up on me this year. Didn’t get all fired up like I normally do and just sort of shrugged it off. Not to mention I picked up a new hobby that has competed for time and money. My younger son is ramping up on his hunting interest though so I have had fun, a LOT of fun, taking him hunting and working to help him be successful.

Comment

I’m there thinking my last year

Comment

May humt once or twice a year now.

Comment

I get that way at times. But then I go to KS and see some of them bruisers and the passion is restored! I get ZERO out of seeing dinky azz 100-120” deer I grew up shooting in the hill country. The older I get,the less I want to clean one. I still enjoy hunting with my dad or kids anytime though! They’re old enough to clean their own stuff

Comment

I was getting there last year. This year I haven’t hunted over a feeder. Made it a whole lot more interesting.

Comment

Everybody here wanting a change of scenery... heh... My family's place I've hunted all my life, is on the market. I dread the day it sells. Honestly, I probably will give it up at that point.
                          Hunting anywhere else just isn't the same as coming in from the stand to the gas heater in that old rock cabin.

Comment

I totally get it, but my issue isn't just a burnout issue. We have a five week old baby boy. It's all I can do to pry myself away from home for a few hours at a time. I get to missing home something fierce. I literally sat in the blind an hour yesterday afternoon feeling miserable and packed my stuff and headed home. Overnight trips this season don't even cross my mind. I have a place to hunt 20 mins from home and two places about an hour away. The place 20 mins away makes it easier to stomach.

Comment

Seems like all I am interested in lately is squirrels and hogs, and rabbits with my longbow. I actually enjoy exploring new territory as much as anything else. I have many thousands of acres bordering me that I haven't seen yet...and crappie fishing.
                              Last edited by El Paisano; 11-26-2018, 05:58 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I find myself still excited for evening hunts. But much less about getting up at 4am eyes wide open like I used to. Also find myself more excited taking new hunters hunting than actually hunting myself.
                                But the other side of that is that I have been eating really organically for about 2 years now (becouse I have come to the self conclusion that something in the processed foods is whats causing all the cancers) ....so the hunts now are more food based and less trophy based.

Comment

Working...
                                X