No announcement yet.

The Eternal Flame - Keep it Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great weekend for the Hogboy. Chased pigs with DJM and Kevin Breaux Saturday with no success, but good time with good folks.

Kayaked again yesterday on Townlake. I think we might try fishing in Lighthouse Lakes in a couple of weeks.

Short week then heading to Cotulla Thursday, to help Ronnie and Trent kill pigs. I mean do some lease work.

Make it great day.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
      ...Supposedly gonna fill up the floodway with water from some resorvoirs In Mexico that are over flowing...horrble news for EVERYTHING planted in the floodway..will see what happens.

wow, is this the norm mark?? ruin u.s. crops to relieve overflow in mex?? why not let it just run down rio??

good grief, they never give us 'our' water when we are thirsty in dry years & now farmers have to suffer...this is A LOT of land.

Comment

the Gin has 2500 bales in the floodway at risk..one minute they are backing down from doing it, then they announce its back on. Pioneer got off their butt and is harvesting my floodway seed corn before the water gets there...Last time they put significant water in the Floodway was 1988 I believe, but they did it in the late fall...I have a beautiful 50 acre block and 20 acre blk of cotton in the floodway, and about 70 acres of seed corn..I just came from there and the arroyo that was spilling water over the bridge was way down...on a lighter note...Its raining dead catepillars in the sunflowers..and thats what counts

Comment

its not always easy for me to tell whats happenning to my farm at a glance..I was starting to believe the hurricane rain had actually been benificial to me after looking at how the cotton crop responded to 9 inches of rain. I know the sugar cane liked it..so I came out thinking I wasnt going to get hurt...now this news..filling the floodway will hurt my family...and watch..we wont get any compensation because "its the floodway, and you were dumb enough to farm it...B.S.".Once water is allowed in the floodway ALL GATES leading to it that drain the farmland will be locked shut to keep some knucklehead from opening it and allowing water to flow back onto farmland thats outside the system..but what happens if more tropical moisture gets here and all the gates to the floodway are locked because they are draing Mex? We will go under water..plain and simple..and who gets to make these decisions?

Comment

Congrats on the Grand baby Pablo, Hope everyone had a awesome 4th of July and that y'all made it home safely!

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
              its not always easy for me to tell whats happenning to my farm at a glance..I was starting to believe the hurricane rain had actually been benificial to me after looking at how the cotton crop responded to 9 inches of rain. I know the sugar cane liked it..so I came out thinking I wasnt going to get hurt...now this news..filling the floodway will hurt my family...and watch..we wont get any compensation because "its the floodway, and you were dumb enough to farm it...B.S.".Once water is allowed in the floodway ALL GATES leading to it that drain the farmland will be locked shut to keep some knucklehead from opening it and allowing water to flow back onto farmland thats outside the system..but what happens if more tropical moisture gets here and all the gates to the floodway are locked because they are draing Mex? We will go under water..plain and simple..and who gets to make these decisions?
              Thats BS pure and simple.... Sorry sir. Farming is the biggest gamble in the world...

Comment

I know the runoff can be fierce north / south of the rio in and around Starr...the arroyo los olmos runs through our place and last week it was fine the day after alex but could not pass 48 hours later when all the rain fell around Falcon. It just took time to get to us.

I just don't see how alex could have caused the rio to swell enough to open the gates. Sounds more like someone may want to test instead of it being necessary. I can't imagine flooding those crops unless the rio grande is breached and homes need to be saved.

In today's paper:

Rio Grande City floodways may be opened to prevent flooding

July 05, 2010 8:38 PM
                Lindsay Machak
                The Monitor
                RIO GRANDE CITY — With the water from Hurricane Alex backing up in the Rio Grande, federal officials have begun preparing to deal with the excess water.

However, according to the U.S. International Boundary and Water Commission, the possibility of water overflowing into the United States is small.

The water in Mexico is flowing into the San Juan River, which was overflowed with water from the hurricane, said IBWC spokeswoman Sally Spener.

“That water will be working its way downstream,” she said. “We will look at the amount of water coming in. If there’s enough coming then we will open the floodways. …The possibility of that happening is diminishing.”

The Rio Grande is rising at Rio Grande City to accommodate for the overflow of water that Mexico is trying to drain. According to the National Weather Service, the river is expected to peak July 8, possibly causing flood operations to begin.

The U.S. interior floodway would be used to divert the rising water. It runs through parts of Hidalgo, Cameron and Willacy counties. Spener said the floodways and levees are capable of handling the forecasted amount of water even if the floodways have to be opened.

“Even though the river may rise to flood stage, it is contained within the levee system,” Spener said. “As for the people living on the land side of the levees, that means there won’t be water in their homes if we open the floodways.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm gonna say you are safe for now but you are right about more storms.

Comment

What would Uncle Ted have to say about flooding U.S. crops to drain old Mexico? I should get a free deer hunt

Comment

I got some info saying they were backing down...then over the radio its supposedly back on again...we will see what happens

Comment

Howdy! Good day all!!!

Comment

Hello all! Still trying to recoop after the 4th at The Lewis!

Sandra

Comment

Mmmmmm!!!!!

Peanut Butter M&M's!
                          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

a new adventure begins looking forward and not back.

Comment

howdy from my son and I....

Comment

Howdy.

Can't wait to head back to Texas for another hog hunt. Headed north? We've got plenty bear and cougar up here. Come on up and help the deer recover.

Comment

Working...
                                X