Salary Employee’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
    When you accept a position at x amount of dollars and hrs, you are compensated. Salary bon non exempt is completely different than salary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know. I get paid time and a half and double time on sundays and holidays. I have a base salary, I get paid no matter what(that's he salary part) and then anything over 40 hours is time and a half or double time.

Comment

The short answer is NO- salary doesn't automatically mean 12-hour days.
      I wouldn't work 12-hour days no matter what I was paid... my time/life is more valuable to me than that.
      Luckily I'm salaried and work normal(ish) hours, as do all my people. I'll maintain that if the plan for me to buy the company rolls out in the next year as we (me & the owners) are planning.
      Work/life balance is a value and priority of mine.

Comment

One thing that I see a lot is when individuals who have been hourly and getting OT move into their first supervisory role, they often see a pay cut of some degree. Now they do often get increased perks, benefits and bonus opportunities. I try and tell the bulk of the 170+ employees in my organization that there is a cap to what we can pay for most positions. If you are at or near that cap, new roles and responsibilities are often the path toward more income.

Comment

When it comes to time and a half pay You are either exempt or not exempt.. period. Salaried means nothing. It’s a combination of job title and pay rate.

The whole salary term is used very loosely. Now a days it’s more salaried vs contract. You can be a W2 contract employee and be exempt and not get time and half but may still eligible for straight time for any hours worked over 40.

Even if you are full time exempt your company may still pay straight time OT or 1.5 OT or double time. They just aren’t required to by law, but some do to stay out of litigation. Each state has different reg on classification of OT. Texas is over 40, some state is over X amount of hours a day, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
            A lot of hate on Labor unions.. I’m a fireman, proud of the job I do.. I picked my job, you picked yours. Let’s not get ugly because we know how to negotiate.
            Well said!

Comment

Really depends on the industryand company. I've seen it mean you will work doublr whatever the union guys will. I'm salaried exempt now, so means whatever it takes to get job done. There were times that meant 9am-1pm. Also meant times where its 5am-3am the next day without OT.
              and yes unions have done good in the past, but sure ain't always the case, especially now.

Comment

40-45 hrs here but sometimes it’s less.

Twice a year they get the best of me during TA season with some 80+ hrs. I don’t complain because it’s just part of the job.

Comment

I have been salaried since the mid 80’s. The way I look at it the company pays me 24/7 and I only have work 9-12 hours a day.

Seriously, a person’s salary should be reflective of not only the work they do but also the time that is required. I have promoted many people from an hourly job to a salaried. Job and look at their total pay including any OT, bonuses ect and give them a raise on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
                    Truly understand your issue. I’m salary and work a minimum of 12 hours a day not counting being on the phone for the hour commmute each way. Once I get home my phone does not stop through the night or during the weekend. I also get around 20 text a night and too many to count on the weekends. What makes it even worse is the hands that work for me that are hourly make way more money and don’t have to worry about the night or weekend calls. If they get called they get to charge a minimum of one hour and if they come out they get paid from the time of the phone call until they get back home. When I took this job the hourly rate was a lot less, but since they have raised their rates by 15% in the last year and salary has not been raised. At least I get a pay check that supports my family is what I keep telling myself.
                    Man, unless you own the joint or this job is accelerating your retirement date you are not doing yourself any favors. The job market is flush with jobs, make the best of it. You live life only once.......why shorten it with undue stress.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                      The sad thing is, I feel like I’m slacking if I keep normal hours.
                      poor work environment - If you are doing your job and are there from 8-5 then you should never be made to feel as if you have NOT done enough to be a valuable employee

Comment

I'm salary, non exempt. So I get salary no matter what. Paid overtime for everything over 40, and a day rate for everyday I'm offshore. I average 98 hours a week while offshore.

Comment

We looked into the newer law that came out when a year or two ago and it seemed to only affect people making less than $45k/year. If you are over that, your employer can get away with murder if youre willing to accept

Comment

Pretty interesting posting,I had the same question

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                              poor work environment - If you are doing your job and are there from 8-5 then you should never be made to feel as if you have NOT done enough to be a valuable employee
                              I’m in manufacturing, the plant NEVER closes. We don’t have enough people to cover all shifts so people are working 12/12, sometimes six days a week just to make goals. I’m making less than some of the hourly guys by being there 50 hours a week. I’m still probationary so that may change after 90 days, I hope it does anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                                I’m salaried. At times I work well over 100 hrs per week. Still get paid the same. Point being, don’t be a coach unless you absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                The exact reason I got out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X