• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coon View Post
    Back button!
    Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    WW

Back button as mentioned above
    Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you all saying that the 40hour work week and the thought/idea of being paid "overtime" that y'all are so graciously coveting were not the direct result of labor unions and their "strikes"?
    Organized labor have you what you consider "standard" working conditions today.

Comment

I must be nice, when I put an employee on Salary. I go back and look at the gross pay for that last three years or whatever time they worked here (if less than three years) then I base their pay off of that. Yes I include all gross pay for the year. So overtime is included. That gives me a basis for what I think they will have to work. Doesn't work for all but it works for our company. OT for salary is paid depending on exempt or non-exempt.

Comment

No way in hail I'd ever work a salary job!

Comment

Right now, I am 12-16 hours a day and work 7 days a week until hopefully December.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
            40 hours a week is a part time job.....
            Haha, I have been thinking that alot lately! Trying to get things done and everybody shuts down 4-5pm and I cant help but feel like everyone else is part time. 2 days of not working AT ALL on the weekend? WTH?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              No way in hail I'd ever work a salary job!
              Me either..... I make lots of OT monies

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                40 hours a week is a part time job.....
                Originally posted by miket View Post
                Haha, I have been thinking that alot lately! Trying to get things done and everybody shuts down 4-5pm and I cant help but feel like everyone else is part time. 2 days of not working AT ALL on the weekend? WTH?
                Things to think about when negotiating for sure.

Round numbers for ease.

If i want 1k a week or 52k a year based on a 40 hour work week but know i will putting in in average 60 hours a week, salary needs to adjust accordingly. I know there will be some late nights and weekends as well as missing out on some family...

My price goes up exponentially when loosing such things.

Company (depending on job) would be out close to 85k a year (depending on job description) and would need to have a serious benefits package.

Everything is negotiable...dont sale yourself short.

Good luck

Comment

I have been salary for the past 25 years and no regrets. I do have many people that I supervise that make more than I do on a regular basis. This used to be a problem for me, BUT they are in the field and I am mostly in the office with the A/C. I average about 45-50 hours per week. I have the freedom to leave during the day if needed for errands or appointments as time allows. The company I work for provides extra compensation in the form of profit sharing, so the more profit I generate for the company, the higher my compensation. Works for me.

Comment

Salary non-exempt for me, I have been offered straight salary jobs and there are benefits to it but not enough for me to switch over yet. I was straight salary in the middle east and worked 6 10's but really didn't have anything else to do and they paid very well.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                      Does salary automatically mean 12 hour days? What’s realistic when no specific hours have been set? I understand you gotta get the job done but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to takeoff if we’re done for the day. Thoughts??
                      My two cents, though it has probably already be said. Some days you are going to work a 12 or 14 hour day. Other days, maybe 4. On those 4 hour days, you don't hang out at work just waiting for something, do you? I know I don't.

My job is feast or famine when it comes to work. During the down time, we work 4-6 hour days. During the busy time, 12-14 hours. We also have an awesome boss that rewards us for the long days and high quality work with bonuses at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                        I'm salary. I have a job for the day and when it's done or at a good stopping point I go home. Ranch manager and every day is different. Some days are 7-8 hrs and others are 9-12 hrs.
                        Pretty much this. As an exempt, salaried engineer my projects are long duration (many months to years) and when I get to a good stopping point I go home...typically that means 8 hours a day. If SHTF we stay as long as needed to get the whatever milestone needs to be completed complete, but with that comes the expectation of being able to comp those hours if I don't need to be there at a later date.

Salary doesn't mean and shouldn't mean work slave. You are paid a fixed rate for a guaranteed fixed number of hours. Every company is different in how they handle comp time or even overtime for salaried employees. I've worked on projects where overtime was approved for salaried employees...it's paid out at straight time for us but at least we got paid for it. Most importantly, you got to maintain a work/life balance. Personally, I manage my time well and keep my hours as close to 40/week as possible. If you're continually working 50, 60+ hours per week you're either severely understaffed or you have poor time management.
                        Last edited by JonBoy; 08-22-2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          Are you all saying that the 40hour work week and the thought/idea of being paid "overtime" that y'all are so graciously coveting were not the direct result of labor unions and their "strikes"?
                          Organized labor have you what you consider "standard" working conditions today.
                          Umm...I'm pretty sure our standard work week, weekends, overtime, minimum wages, etc. came from the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938...not directly from Labor Unions.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                            Pretty much this. As an exempt, salaried engineer my projects are long duration (many months to years) and when I get to a good stopping point I go home...typically that means 8 hours a day. If SHTF we stay as long as needed to get the whatever milestone needs to be completed complete, but with that comes the expectation of being able to comp those hours if I don't need to be there at a later date.

Salary doesn't mean and shouldn't mean work slave. You are paid a fixed rate for a guaranteed fixed number of hours. Every company is different in how they handle comp time or even overtime for salaried employees. I've worked on projects where overtime was approved for salaried employees...it's paid out at straight time for us but at least we got paid for it. Most importantly, you got to maintain a work/life balance. Personally, I manage my time well and keep my hours as close to 40/week as possible. If you're continually working 50, 60+ hours per week you're either severely understaffed or you have poor time management.
                            I am the same; salaried engineer. I work 8 hour days unless there is an emergency (well when not on sick leave such as I am now). I went back to school as an adult and chose engineering for salary potential because I got tired of working hours like mentioned in this thread just to earn a living. You guys can brag about the hours you work, but I am not impressed. Nobody ever said they wished they worked more on their death beds. I plan to enjoy life and live while I can.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                              I am the same; salaried engineer. I work 8 hour days unless there is an emergency (well when not on sick leave such as I am now). I went back to school as an adult and chose engineering for salary potential because I got tired of working hours like mentioned in this thread just to earn a living. You guys can brag about the hours you work, but I am not impressed. Nobody ever said they wished they worked more on their death beds. I plan to enjoy life and live while I can.
                              Time is our most valuable commodity...it cannot be renewed and it is ever decreasing. I'll never understand those that give it up for free.

Comment

A lot of hate on Labor unions.. I’m a fireman, proud of the job I do.. I picked my job, you picked yours. Let’s not get ugly because we know how to negotiate.

Comment

Working...
                                X