Great CWD Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
    It will hit the herd, just like up north. Some deer will die from it. Some will develop an immunity to it and this will be passed on to some of the offspring.
    Eventually, the deer will all survive.
    Quit worrying, it will be a non-issue in the end. Just like up North where it came from.

The part that worries me is this particular strain of prions jumping ship and deciding that it likes other mammals too. The jury is still out on that discussion. Of course right now there is no examples of this happening with the current strain but nature is a sly b$$$h.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
      The part that worries me is this particular strain of prions jumping ship and deciding that it likes other mammals too. The jury is still out on that discussion. Of course right now there is no examples of this happening with the current strain but nature is a sly b$$$h.
      I understand, but things evolve, they adapt, and mostly the HOST survives and lives on.
      There is No shortage of deer up North where this started. The animals are overcoming this and thriving in spite of it. The same thing Will happen wherever this disease goes.

Comment

I understand, but things evolve, they adapt, and mostly the HOST survives and lives on.
        There is No shortage of deer up North where this started. The animals are overcoming this and thriving in spite of it. The same thing Will happen wherever this disease goes.
        Based on your comments, you aren't following anything "up north". CWD has blown up the last 5 years. Deer killed by CWD has exploded as well. You may take a listen to the podcast and then do some independent research. You may find out that in Wisconsin, where I hunt, management of CWD was bungled about the time Scott Walker came into office. He cut back funding for research and testing so much, testing for CWD by our DNR has become extremely limited, not to mention eradication and prevention measures. If you look at where CWD was first found (Dane/Iowa counties), hunters are finding prevalence has increased year after year, to the point 30% of deer are found to have CWD in those counties. There are real kill numbers from CWD in those counties. Here is a like to Pat Durkins letter where these facts are discussed:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/recre...c1ada6baa.html

If you don't believe that, here's another:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...udy/378642002/

Here, from the DNR website. Sampling is going down, but positives are going up:

https://dnr.wi.gov/wideermetrics/Dee...aspx?R=Disease

Contrast that with Missouri, which had its first case a few years ago, and the local DNR decided they will wipe out CWD any time it pops its head up. Currently, they have minimal growth in CWD cases year over year. Far less than Wisconsin.

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-...d/cwd-missouri

Not only that, studies have shown that people say they will stop hunting if the infection rate gets too high. With those hunting $ gone, funding to determine the fix for CWD goes away as well.

It's not pragmatic to pull the wool over your eyes, nor is it pragmatic to tell everyone we have to kill every deer and start fresh. The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Based on your comments, you aren't following anything "up north". CWD has blown up the last 5 years. Deer killed by CWD has exploded as well. You may take a listen to the podcast and then do some independent research. You may find out that in Wisconsin, where I hunt, management of CWD was bungled about the time Scott Walker came into office. He cut back funding for research and testing so much, testing for CWD by our DNR has become extremely limited, not to mention eradication and prevention measures. If you look at where CWD was first found (Dane/Iowa counties), hunters are finding prevalence has increased year after year, to the point 30% of deer are found to have CWD in those counties. There are real kill numbers from CWD in those counties. Here is a like to Pat Durkins letter where these facts are discussed:

Contrast that with Missouri, which had its first case a few years ago, and the local DNR decided they will wipe out CWD any time it pops its head up. Currently, they have minimal growth in CWD cases year over year. Far less than Wisconsin.

Not only that, studies have shown that people say they will stop hunting if the infection rate gets too high. With those hunting $ gone, funding to determine the fix for CWD goes away as well.

It's not pragmatic to pull the wool over your eyes, nor is it pragmatic to tell everyone we have to kill every deer and start fresh. The answer is somewhere in the middle.
          Who in your community has contracted this disease?
          This is a scare tactic to hunters to get you to quit hunting, don't fall for it.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Lol, seems like Mr. Scott Walker knows waaaaaaaaaaay more than you do on the subject.
            Like I said, this will All Pass and be a thing of the past after our animals naturally get rid of it. They will, trust me, they are way more resilient than we are.

Comment

Who in your community has contracted this disease?
              This is a scare tactic to hunters to get you to quit hunting, don't fall for it.
              To be clear, I am not saying CWD is going to affect humans. The point of my response was that it is proven deer die from CWD, and do so at much higher rates than healthy deer. So far, in Wisconsin, we have not reached the top of the bell curve yet with total infection of the population, and CWD is having a real impact to the deer herd already. That is the part I think every deer hunter should be concerned about. It's way easier to prevent something, than it is to eradicate it. I will add, it's very coincidental that QDM became a big deal in the late 90's in WI, shortly prior to the CWD outbreak.

Now, Texas obviously is totally different from Wisconsin. Wisconsin can hold way more deer per acre than Texas. That right there inhibits the spread of CWD significantly, and is a really good natural barrier.

As far as transmission to humans. No actual hard proof exists, but as CWD increases in WI, cases of CJD have risen as well:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ing/453371001/

The article does flat out say it may be due to better recognition of the disease. But it needs to be considered.

I have no plans to ever quit deer hunting. I do my best to bring others into the sport. If it's a fear tactic on their part, it's not working.

Comment

Much ado about nothing.

They found it in Colorado in 1960 and pretty soon there after in Wyoming.
                58 years ago and there are still lots of deer in both states.

If it was really about the deer herd and not about deer breeders they would be working on EDH. It killed a ton more deer than CWD

Comment

Animals evolve when they have time to evolve. When diseases spread rapidly through animals because farms, breeders, feeders, etc unnaturally bring large populations in contact with each other they don’t have time to evolve.

Thats why over 4 million cows were slaughtered in an attempt to get rid of BSE.

The latest Meateater podcast discussed how a similar situation caused the decline of wild sheep. Bacterial infections were spread to native sheep by introduced sheep and farmed sheep and it almost wiped them out. Its taken millions of dollars just to begin to rebuild the population.

This isn’t the first time humans have spread a disease around the country. Once it takes hold its harder and more costly to get rid of. Unfortunately some haven’t learned from the previous experiences.

Comment

Lol, seems like Mr. Scott Walker knows waaaaaaaaaaay more than you do on the subject.
                    Like I said, this will All Pass and be a thing of the past after our animals naturally get rid of it. They will, trust me, they are way more resilient than we are.
                    Uh... this prion deal is a whole other level, this is not your typical contagion like a virus, there is a reason the scientist are worried about this type of disease more than most. I can tell you this if it spreads like wildfire here like it has in wisconsin for me the pursuit of the chase is no longer warranted.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      Uh... this prion deal is a whole other level, this is not your typical contagion like a virus, there is a reason the scientist are worried about this type of disease more than most. I can tell you this if it spreads like wildfire here like it has in wisconsin for me the pursuit of the chase is no longer warranted.
                      Wisconsin is void of deer now, because of CWD?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                        Animals evolve when they have time to evolve. When diseases spread rapidly through animals because farms, breeders, feeders, etc unnaturally bring large populations in contact with each other they don’t have time to evolve.

Thats why over 4 million cows were slaughtered in an attempt to get rid of BSE.

The latest Meateater podcast discussed how a similar situation caused the decline of wild sheep. Bacterial infections were spread to native sheep by introduced sheep and farmed sheep and it almost wiped them out. Its taken millions of dollars just to begin to rebuild the population.

This isn’t the first time humans have spread a disease around the country. Once it takes hold its harder and more costly to get rid of. Unfortunately some haven’t learned from the previous experiences.
                        They have evolved and flourished in every area that this thing has shown up. Where has it decimated the herd?

Comment

Working...
                        X