Great CWD Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty grim.
    Joe seems to think it's going initiate the zombie Apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
      There are several areas of the State that have testing facilities along major highways and it is free. I have killed a few deer out at Barretts and have had all of them tested. All came back negative. In the past I always said I would still eat a positive deer. I don't feel the same way anymore. The Rogan conversation is a good one. It is kinda freaky what we don't know about this disease.
      Thanks for the info... I would like to see more testing as I think this is going to get worse. I am hoping to get any deer I kill tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        You’re still not getting genetics like we have down south buying from a breeder. Nor are you getting the ambiance or the cultural experience. It’s something different entirely. If that’s your cup of tea, go for it, but once you take shortcuts, don’t try to compare results with people that played the long game. You get to compare results with the shortcut line.
        Lol.

Does the long game line include having to actually buy your own ranch buy the feed ect or should that be the shortcut line as well?

I get what your saying it's much harder to do with native genetics than it is with introduced genetics. Like I said not everyone is located it some of the best country to grow big deer. When your top end deer top out at 130-140 if your lucky I see why people introduce better genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
          Tiny was far from a typical... so not sure how the world record typical comes into play on that one. They killed deer with the same genetics as tiny a hundred years ago? I know they killed giants back then but with the same type of of horns Tiny had?
          Mini. And yes absolutely. Double row tines and kickers with swooping beams.

Pretty common.

Comment

Lol.

Does the long game line include having to actually buy your own ranch buy the feed ect or should that be the shortcut line as well?

I get what your saying it's much harder to do with native genetics than it is with introduced genetics. Like I said not everyone is located it some of the best country to grow big deer. When your top end deer top out at 130-140 if your lucky I see why people introduce better genetics.
            You think I run a deer hunting operation and don’t buy the feed?

Come on man.

Enough with the personal attacks.

Comment

You think I run a deer hunting operation and don’t buy the feed?

Come on man.

Enough with the personal attacks.
              Was giving you a hard time hence the at the end.

Comment

Was giving you a hard time hence the at the end.
                Yeah well you keep attacking me and my family, as an anonymous nobody and I’m not going to recognize emojis as genuine signs of playful banter.

Comment

Yeah well you keep attacking me and my family, as an anonymous nobody and I’m not going to recognize emojis as genuine signs of playful banter.
                  Oh Lord little dramatic today huh? Attacking

Comment

You three arguing need to realize CWD doesn't care where the deer is from or where it is going. TPWD under reacted in my opinion with only making breeders test. They should have done that and gone ahead and tested exotics and free range "wild" deer too. They chose a side and because Encinal and crew had the right people on their side it benefited low fence places. That is not a jab at you Encinal but more of a black mark on TPWD. They dropped the ball. CWD was first found in Mule Deer 10 plus years ago and not a person cared. The high fence(breeders) guys had the screw put to them and rightfully so. They shouldn't have been the only people being forced to tested. Please note I am not a breeder but do hunt/own low and high fence places

If it was up to me and we wanted to take CWD serious the following would happen.
                    Test High and Low fence deer..randomly
                    Test all elk, sika, red etc.
                    Now transportation of carcass' across state lines. ie shoot an elk in new mexico only the meat and skull cap come back.
                    Processing and Taxidermist have a disposal plan in place to safely discard of bones etc.

Comment

I don’t have a problem with breeders at all. I have a problem with people like you who try to pull other people’s accomplishments down to make yours look good.

Breeder deer are different than HF Native which are diff than LF native. You can hunt all or none of them, but no one on here is stupid enough to think that they are all the same thing.

If someone wants to bring deer in because he wants to have something bigger than a 130 fine.

As with anything, beware of people that sell advice who get a percentage profit from the product they recommend you buy. It’s in their best interest to get you to buy something even if you don’t need it. Guys like buckskin don’t make ANY money giving good solid management advice. They do make money moving deer, so you can guess what his recommendation is going to be even before you ask.
                      Lol, I have not tried to pull anyone's accomplishments down, not even yours.
                      Your deer are 1/8th more native than mine, I will grant you that much. And for the record, I think you have great deer, but as you said your ranch is smack dab in the middle of world record country.
                      And I actually don't realy make any money on these deer. I'm happy to just cover my costs with the deer. It's a hobby, it's fun, I enjoy it. I like opening that gate and watching them hop out into their new home/ranch. It has never been about money for me.

I have a real full time job that has nothing to do with deer.

Oh and you don't condone personal attacks???
                      You called me a liar. If you would like to try that to my face, I would be happy to meet you in Encinal next time I come thru so we can "discuss" it.

Have a good day Mr. Encinal.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        You three arguing need to realize CWD doesn't care where the deer is from or where it is going. TPWD under reacted in my opinion with only making breeders test. They should have done that and gone ahead and tested exotics and free range "wild" deer too. They chose a side and because Encinal and crew had the right people on their side it benefited low fence places. That is not a jab at you Encinal but more of a black mark on TPWD. They dropped the ball. CWD was first found in Mule Deer 10 plus years ago and not a person cared. The high fence(breeders) guys had the screw put to them and rightfully so. They shouldn't have been the only people being forced to tested. Please note I am not a breeder but do hunt/own low and high fence places

If it was up to me and we wanted to take CWD serious the following would happen.
                        Test High and Low fence deer..randomly
                        Test all elk, sika, red etc.
                        Now transportation of carcass' across state lines. ie shoot an elk in new mexico only the meat and skull cap come back.
                        Processing and Taxidermist have a disposal plan in place to safely discard of bones etc.

Land owners that have Elk Red Deer and Sika are required to provide an annual census to TAHC.

They are also required to submit CWD tests for the first 3 death losses including harvest.

You need to understand the math of the testing percentage on wild deer. There are tests all over the state every year of wild deer.

There is a fundamental difference between live animals being moved and carcasses. Live animals are still shedding prions and are mobile. Carcasses at least remain semi stationary once they get to final destination.

That all being said. Certainly there is room for improvement and no system is perfect.
                        Last edited by Encinal; 09-05-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                          Lol, I have not tried to pull anyone's accomplishments down, not even yours.
                          Your deer are 1/8th more native than mine, I will grant you that much. And for the record, I think you have great deer, but as you said your ranch is smack dab in the middle of world record country.
                          And I actually don't realy make any money on these deer. I'm happy to just cover my costs with the deer. It's a hobby, it's fun, I enjoy it. I like opening that gate and watching them hop out into their new home/ranch. It has never been about money for me.

I have a real full time job that has nothing to do with deer.

Oh and you don't condone personal attacks???
                          You called me a liar. If you would like to try that to my face, I would be happy to meet you in Encinal next time I come thru so we can "discuss" it.

Have a good day Mr. Encinal.
                          Lying about my deer herd no less. Which you just confirmed in this last post by calling them 1/8 more native than yours... But perhaps my words were too harsh. Maybe you just have a fluid view of the truth.

Comment

Land owners that have Elk Red Deer and Sika are required to provide an annual census to TAHC.

They are also required to submit CWD tests for the first 3 death losses including harvest.

You need to understand the math of the testing percentage on wild deer. There are tests all over the state every year of wild deer.

There is a fundamental difference between live animals being moved and carcasses. Live animals are still shedding prions and are mobile. Carcasses at least remain semi stationary once they get to final destination.

That all being said. Certainly there is room for improvement and no system is perfect.
                            Let's not act like the exotic testing isn't something new. It wasn't part of the original plan which is sad. My who argument on the CWD is that if it is as serious as we are being told they would have done more to protect the deer and listen less to you free range guys and the deer breeder guys.

I know the numbers on testing. I'm getting the numbers from the same person you are and I'm standing in the middle actually worried about the deer. You can't honestly say what TPWD did was half and one sided originally.

Carcass being stationary doesn't change the fact that if it was CWD positive it is still positive wherever it lies. Meaning that soil is contaminated. That is a huge issue.

Encinal honest question. Have you tested any animals off of your place? I'll answer first. I haven't tested any on my places yet but will start this year.
                            Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 09-05-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Lying about my deer herd no less. Which you just confirmed in this last post by calling them 1/8 more native than yours... But perhaps my words were too harsh. Maybe you just have a fluid view of the truth.
                              How did I lie about your deer herd?

Comment

I was kinda wondering the same thing when he posted that...^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X