Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
    How did I lie about your deer herd?
    Not native. Let’s not pretend you werent talking about us.

Just look at the post I quoted.
    Last edited by Encinal; 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
      Let's not act like the exotic testing isn't something new. It wasn't part of the original plan which is sad. My who argument on the CWD is that if it is as serious as we are being told they would have done more to protect the deer and listen less to you free range guys and the deer breeder guys.

I know the numbers on testing. I'm getting the numbers from the same person you are and I'm standing in the middle actually worried about the deer. You can't honestly say what TPWD did was half and one sided originally.

Carcass being stationary doesn't change the fact that if it was CWD positive it is still positive wherever it lies. Meaning that soil is contaminated. That is a huge issue.

Encinal honest question. Have you tested any animals off of your place? I'll answer first. I haven't tested any on my places yet but will start this year.
      Both places. Exotic testing is newer because it is regulated by a completely different agency.

If you don’t think we worked towards the health of the entire state’s deer herd to try to mitigate the disease, I’d like to hear how you would have done it.
      Last edited by Encinal; 09-05-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        Not native. Let’s not pretend you werent talking about us.
        I wasn't singling you out in particular, I'm saying deer have been riding in trailers for many many years. Not necessarily with government officials. I am talking individuals.
        I absolutely believe that you and your family have never brought in deer.

The world record typical was killed in Webb in the 40’s or 50’s. Dilley Monster in the 60’s

Countless 230’s. Probably some deer bigger we don’t know about.

The only thing different about our deer was protein... and awesome rain years.
        So, there has probably been some monsters shot that nobody knows about.

But, BY GOD there has never been any Northern deer brought to South Texas until the fences went up!!!!

Sounds to me like you got your genetics, and don't want anyone less fortunate to get theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
          I wasn't singling you out in particular, I'm saying deer have been riding in trailers for many many years. Not necessarily with government officials. I am talking individuals.
          I absolutely believe that you and your family have never brought in deer.

So, there has probably been some monsters shot that nobody knows about.

But, BY GOD there has never been any Northern deer brought to South Texas until the fences went up!!!!

Sounds to me like you got your genetics, and don't want anyone less fortunate to get theirs.
          I’ve covered this. You’re on repeat.

Comment

Both places. Exotic testing is newer because it is regulated by a completely different agency.

If you don’t think we worked towards the health of the entire state’s deer herd to try to mitigate the disease, I’d like to hear how you would have done it.
            Read above. I already posted the basic stuff that needed to be done from the start. It's in my first post.

Comment

My point is the state had their pants around their ankles on CWD. They are still trying to figure out what to do a decade after they knew it was in the wild west. Here we are years later after being found in pens and we are just now testing exotics.

Comment

My point is the state had their pants around their ankles on CWD. They are still trying to figure out what to do a decade after they knew it was in the wild west. Here we are years later after being found in pens and we are just now testing exotics.
                From what I understand, TPWD has largely been restricted by politics. It's not necessarily that the biologists dont have good recommendations on management, they just cant implement them.

Comment

I think they found it in mule deer in 2012 in Hudspeth Co. That’s 6 years ago. There are carcass movement restrictions and mandatory testing from CWD zones.

Movement restrictions feom out of state to here run afoul of other states laws. It needs to be fixed, but it’s been a complicated issue to reaolve.

The rules that we do have are also coming under constant attack for being too harsh from trade groups in the deer industry.

Comment

I think they found it in mule deer in 2012 in Hudspeth Co. That’s 6 years ago. There are carcass movement restrictions and mandatory testing from CWD zones.

Movement restrictions feom out of state to here run afoul of other states laws. It needs to be fixed, but it’s been a complicated issue to reaolve.

The rules that we do have are also coming under constant attack for being too harsh from trade groups in the deer industry.
                    I think they looked at it as being one sided and to harsh. I don't have a problem with it being to harsh the one sided seems unfair. I think they felt they were being blamed and sentenced for being breeders when not much else was being discussed. I don't know if they have a valid claim and would rather too much be done than not enough. Problem is not many landowners want to test because the second you have a positive for CWD you ranch value is cut significantly.

Comment

I think they looked at it as being one sided and to harsh. I don't have a problem with it being to harsh the one sided seems unfair. I think they felt they were being blamed and sentenced for being breeders when not much else was being discussed. I don't know if they have a valid claim and would rather too much be done than not enough. Problem is not many landowners want to test because the second you have a positive for CWD you ranch value is cut significantly.
                      People tha move deer, breeders, TTT etc all have extra responsibility and burden to test to make sure the deer they are moving don’t have it because the easiest vector for it to spread is moving down the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Glad to hear they are testing... What in all is involved in testing?? I know they have come up with a way to test without having to kill the deer. Can anyone send in a test specimen and what are the costs??
                        No they haven't, its not accurate the science has proven that, this is something the deer farmers are just pushing.
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                          From what I understand, TPWD has largely been restricted by politics. It's not necessarily that the biologists dont have good recommendations on management, they just cant implement them.
                          I can't speak for Texas, but that wouldn't shock me. Wisconsin did the same thing. For the first 5-10 years, reporting was very good, good data was collected, and things like earn a buck were implemented to cut the deer population. But then Scott Walker got elected, funding got cut, now next to no deer are tested, and hunting has gone back to no earn a buck.

Then Scott Walker's political appointee's say CWD in WI is dropping, even though the only reason its dropped is because the number of datapoints collected are cut to 1/8th of what they used to be. And a map of the state shows CWD in more area's than ever before.

If you look at a state like Missouri, they are really the leaders in dealing with CWD effectively. They hit it hard immediately after they find it in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            No they haven't, its not accurate the science has proven that, this is something the deer farmers are just pushing.
                            Ok, good info. Not questioning your knowledge but would like to further research for myself. Can you provide links to relevant info??

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Texas A&M is doing live testing... But for some politicians in Greg Abbot's circle, Texas Tech would probably be doing it as well.

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2016/08/19/tp...now-available/

From another article:
                              "The latest finding is from a 3 ½ – year-old buck that underwent a live test rectal biopsy for CWD conducted in March by the deer breeder. Tissue samples revealed the presence of CWD prions during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station. TAHC and TPWD were notified by TVMDL of a suspect positive on May 1. The samples were then submitted to the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, which validated the suspect findings on May 9."

http://cwd-info.org/cwd-update-6/
                              Last edited by WItoTX; 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                                Ok, good info. Not questioning your knowledge but would like to further research for myself. Can you provide links to relevant info??
                                The live testing is not accurate for animals in the early stages of CWD and can test negative, animals that do test positive with the live testing are essentially already shedding prions into the environment at a copious rate. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914819

Comment

Working...
                                X