Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Asf ez-feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwwilliams72 View Post
    Mine had the dreaded gap that everybody refers to. I put a very heavy bead of caulk in the gap and the hole that the wiring runs thru. So far, no issues, and its been going for about 3 months.
    Did you put the caulk on the inside or the outside around the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Mine is operating really well but I forgot to plug the hole where the wires go through the timer/battery compartment down to the motor... Got about 2 pounds of corn in the compartment now... Will tape it up next trip. It's been going since early September...

One thing that concerns me is that every night I have a bunch of coons surrounding the feeder and reaching into the skinny gap where the corn is thrown out of... I don't see how they could possibly be reaching the impeller and as many coons are there are, if they really were spinning the impeller, it would have been empty in a week... Anyone else experiencing this??
      I wonder if they are just getting the residual corn that doesn't make all the way out of the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post
        I wonder if they are just getting the residual corn that doesn't make all the way out of the plate.

That’s what I’d think. Just cleaning it off so you’ll get a complete unblocked throw the next time it spins!

They might be helping you out in a way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been following this thread. A couple of my kids here at school are interested and going to build "our" version of this feeder. Trying to keep the cost low so we can sell it easier. I was thinking about making it taller, but not so tall you cant fill it. We were even thinking about putting it on skids.

Does that sound like a bad idea to ya'll? We are going to build atleast one to see what happens. When we do I will post some pictures. Ours is going to be heavier, we are using 16 gauge for the hopper. We will see what we use for the legs and skids!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            That’s what I’d think. Just cleaning it off so you’ll get a complete unblocked throw the next time it spins!

They might be helping you out in a way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, that is what I was thinking, but dang, they're there for most of the night... My covert is goin' nuts with 'em every night... Ain't no way the batteries can last until my next trip out there... I'm thinking about bringing the plate all the way out to the edge of the feeder bin... That'd give it another 2.5" they'd have to reach to get to the spinner...

I have been following this thread. A couple of my kids here at school are interested and going to build "our" version of this feeder. Trying to keep the cost low so we can sell it easier. I was thinking about making it taller, but not so tall you cant fill it. We were even thinking about putting it on skids.

Does that sound like a bad idea to ya'll? We are going to build atleast one to see what happens. When we do I will post some pictures. Ours is going to be heavier, we are using 16 gauge for the hopper. We will see what we use for the legs and skids!

I think taller would be better too. skids are also a good idea. The other thing I'd do is put a cage around the outside of the bin and an angled plate that would make the corn that does not exit the spinner fall down and be deflected to the outside edge of the feeder so animals can't/won't be sticking their heads under the feeder... The taller it is, the more likely that will become an issue that could cause damage from antlered bucks hitting the motor/spinner...

Comment

I think Taller would be better.
              It could be at least a foot higher if not more and still be easy to fill without using a ladder or standing on a tailgate.
              My solar panel recently got cracked after I unloaded on a sounder of pigs. I made sure to never shoot the pigs in front of the feeder but somehow the solar panel still paid the price. Had it been talker it might not of occurred, But there’s no way to tell that for sure.

Four hit out of one barrage, I was tickled with those results [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I set up a camera down at coon level and can confirm they are able to turn the plate. You can see that the plate has been moved between pics.

Comment

Where I have mine is a place that can get some standing water by the end of the season. I have mine up on a couple of pallets, but am afraid that hogs will push it around trying to get to the corn that fall within the pallets.
                  The reason I got it wasn't because of the stand and fill. I can get a ladder or stand in the back of my Rhino to fill a feeder. I like the varmit proof ( I haven't seen any coons spinning the plate, but could be) concept on it. If it were higher, it would be perfect for making sure that critters don't rub or grab the motor and mess it up and would make sure it would be okay in a few feet of water. I say go for it.

Comment

A little taller wouldn't be bad except if it is too tall then critters can get under it and work on it, beat on it, from the bottom. But you'd probably gain a little farther spread when it throws.

Skids would be great if the feeder is framed stout enough to slide it with some corn in it. It would be nice in some situations to be able to slide it over out of a mudhole with your truck or utv. So you'd do good to add some tie points down low on the skids.

If I was going to build one from scratch I'd use a 600# hopper similar to the Bucee's one but I'd use an Eliminator spinner plate on it, skip the two aluminum plates that they use for the varmint guard, add a welded wire cage and a slanted floor under the spinner extending a couple inches past the sides to let the corn slide out to the sides instead of falling under the feeder and I would still keep the side compartment for the battery and timer. Kindof a hybrid between the two ASF stand and fill styles. You would get the varmint proof cage, a spinner plate that bigger animals couldn't bump the feeder to spill more corn and you'd also keep the battery and timer where you could get to them without having to get up under the feeder.

Comment

I have been looking online, and trying to stream line the process and make it with minimum in it so we can get the most out of it. I priced parts that the ones at bucees comes with--Looks like it would cost $100 just for the timer, battery, solar panel, motor and cheapest spinner plate.

What would ya'll suggest for the working parts of this feeder? I am the cheap guy that buys and puts the moultrie all in one feeder on his feeders! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moultrie-...r-Kit/16386221

The money we make off this will go back into the shop to build more projects.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I have had very good success with "The Timer", a 12 volt Dayton motor, and use the 11milliamphour batteries from Buc-ee's... Keep in mind the price of the Buc-ee's feeder does NOT include a battery. That has to be purchased separately... just so when the time comes, you're comparing apples to apples WRT to cost/selling price.

Comment

Luling and Katy had em yesterday

Comment

Ok - Need some advice on making updates. I’m running 2 of them and all of a sudden now after no issue the corn bandits are reaching in and spinning corn out. I bought 2 eliminator plates but the gap is not wide enough so has anyone used longer spacers/bolts in the corners of the bottom plate and if so what length worked?

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
                              Ok - Need some advice on making updates. I’m running 2 of them and all of a sudden now after no issue the corn bandits are reaching in and spinning corn out. I bought 2 eliminator plates but the gap is not wide enough so has anyone used longer spacers/bolts in the corners of the bottom plate and if so what length worked?
                              Are you sure? I don’t see how their arms can be long enough?

Comment

Yep, I've got some long armed corn bandits hitting mine too!! My plan is to extend the plate out to even with the bottom of the feeder box.

Comment

Working...
                                X