No announcement yet.

Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 5 chains for my saw because I cannot for the life of me sharpen with a manual file set. So my dad has bought me this one at my request. I have not used it yet, but its the same as a dremmel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
      What I found is Stihl actually private labels this one. The manufacturer is Pferd. You can buy the original manufacturer a little bit cheaper and I agree with everyone else it works great. I put my saw blade in a vice to use it which makes it easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-17301Pf...NG3K22CHDTF79W
      That's good news. Since this thread one of the round files on the edge of my stihl brand broke. No one knows how but it's in 2 pieces. I guess it got stepped on or dropped.

I havent looked into replacement of just the part yet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        This is what I have, it works OK.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Katzco-Piece-...ning+kit&psc=1

I'd like to see what everyone else uses. I have a Stihl pole saw and a Poulan 18" chainsaw, that gets used occasionally, but when they get used, its hard and heavy work.

I use the same kit. Gets it sharp and is quick

Comment

[quote=Quackerbox;13487271]sthil makes a handheld deal that's pretty neat. I don't own one but its got good reviews.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CHAINSAW-CHAIN-SHARPENER/dp/B00HY96EW8/ref=asc_df_B00HY96EW8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060922766&hvpos=1o1&hvne tw=g&hvrand=10049330026831625334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&h vqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027697 &hvtargid=pla-362441867409&psc
          Last edited by dbaio1; 07-04-2019, 08:36 AM. Reason: Error

Comment

Originally posted by Oomkin View Post
            I've never bothered to sharpen chain saw blades. I always have new spare chain blades, just swap the old blade with a new blade, then throw away the old blade. I heard that if you sharpened the chain saw blades, you need to make sure that the angles are correct, otherwise there's an increased risk of 'kick back' occurring. I don't know how critical the angles are or how much increased risk there is of 'kick back' occurring.

I've worn out 3 cheap chainsaws over the past decade, so I broke down and spent about twice as much on a nice Stihl brand chainsaw. The Stihl brand is a huge upgrade from the cheap brand chainsaws.
            Agree with Hoggslayer, just sharpen those suckers!!

Comment

I went with the harbor freight one. Its consistent and the wheels are cheap enough. I screwed it to a 2x4 and then I put it in my vice to secure it when in use. Then I remove it from the vice and hang it back on the wall.

$40 then 20% off coupon.

Comment

I bought and used the STIHL 2 in 1 last week based on this thread. So glad I did. Works awesome, and pretty quick too.

Comment

I have a few different sharpeners but use the 12v Oregon the most. You can sharpen anywhere your vehicle is, fast.
                  Last edited by Kossetx; 07-23-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Chain saw sharpening guides are super cheap and work great -- they have the angle marked clearly on the guide, and it's impossible to sharpen too deep into the teeth because it's got a little rail that rides on top of them. This is the style I have, but they get more expensive than that. If you're sharpening a rip chain, you don't even need the angle off of the guide, but riding on the teeth is really great.

I also haven't found that I need to do more than 2 or 3 passes on a tooth to get it back to sharp. And... I don't know if it's a feature on all saws, but when you kick the guard out on mine, it stops the blade from being able to move as a safety feature. No need to tighten up the chain other than correct tension!

I was paying to have someone sharpen my chains, but I it got to be huge hassle.

Comment

The stones and a Dremel work great.

Comment

This is cheap and works great for me. Stays in the case with the other tool.

Comment

The best sharpener is probably the Granberg. 12v so hook up to your vehicle if out in the field or in the garage use and old battery, even a 12v deer feeder battery.
                          I have to use this when I hit a rock or nail in the wood and need to reshape the edges and I also use it to change the angle of the teeth for a more aggressive cut.
                          Have the right size file with you for sharpening in the field while working bigger jobs and use a guide and flat file for the rakers every once in a while. Just a little practice and you can touch up a blade quickly, just follow the angle that is already there.

Comment

I tried sharpening them with the round file and guides, i just don't have the right touch. I bought the HF one, got the angles set and it works great. Just make sure to lightly touch the teeth and dont get them too hot

Comment

No one uses the Oregon 310 or 410? been lookin at the 410

Comment

Working...
                              X