No announcement yet.

Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can use the file kit, but the dremel is a lot faster. You MUST dress down the guard teeth as well though.

Comment

Dremel is by far the easiest. Messed with the files back when I worked construction, never again for me but to each their own. I also keep a spare chain in the case in the event I dull one in the field. Come home and sharpen them both and it's on to the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        I'll prolly end up with one. Does both teeth at same time don't need electricity

Dremel makes a cordless as well..

Comment

Originally posted by jbhlsu View Post
          I will second Slocum on the Harbor freight. Yes they make some cheap **** but for $30 bucks that puppy sharpens them up. I had to go to saw house last week and a buy a new chain that was $25 bucks. FYI they charge $8 bucks to sharpen them for you. My experience is I get around 8-10 go arounds on a blade and its toast. I am still working over drought trees...
          This might be a first...Harbor Freight makes something good. Lol! I will look at that as well!

Comment

A simple saw file is easiest, imo.
            You can keep it in the saw case, or in the 5 gallon bucket with your bottle of bar & chain oil and other tool.
            I got the Dremel attachment, too.
            If you can use the file effectively, you can also use the Dremel without the guide. Faster

Comment

Took me a minute to figure out the Hogdown method.

Comment

I’ve got the harbor freight one. Never used it, but my brother does a lot. I’ve used file and guides to some success. I’ve also got an Oregon version of the dremel set up that’s still in the package under my seat. Looks like it would work though.

Comment

I have a stihl job that I like a bunch.

The STIHL 2 in 1 Filing Guide simplifies the process of sharpening your saw chain cutters and lowering your depth gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chai...ools/2in1file/
                    This, it’s gets everything At one time. It’s eays to pack along with you when you’re out in the field. Highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      sthil makes a handheld deal that's pretty neat. I don't own one but its got good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CH...41867409&psc=1
                      I am an Arborist and own a tree service here in Fort Bend Cty. I sharpen chains daily and use the above product exclusively. JUST BE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT SIZE FOR YOUR APPLICATION. Also, you really should sharpen on a vise, whether with the chain alone or while still on the saw. Clean the files of metal shavings after each side is done.

Comment

I've never bothered to sharpen chain saw blades. I always have new spare chain blades, just swap the old blade with a new blade, then throw away the old blade. I heard that if you sharpened the chain saw blades, you need to make sure that the angles are correct, otherwise there's an increased risk of 'kick back' occurring. I don't know how critical the angles are or how much increased risk there is of 'kick back' occurring.

I've worn out 3 cheap chainsaws over the past decade, so I broke down and spent about twice as much on a nice Stihl brand chainsaw. The Stihl brand is a huge upgrade from the cheap brand chainsaws.

Comment

I have tried several methods. The Harbor Freight is the only one that I can consistently get chains sharp with. it works great and is idiot proof once you get the angles set. just make sure you just touch the tooth on the chain and don't over heat it. it just takes a touch to sharpen it. Several you tube videos on how to set it up

Comment

This is what I ended up with

Very easy to use, lightweight and fairly inexpensive

About 2 passes on each cutter every 3rd tank of fuel depending on what I am cutting on

Comment

Another vote for this

Comment

Working...
                              X