No announcement yet.

Acid reflux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had it my entire life. In 1980 I went to a gastro doc, had an upper GI and got a hiatal (sp) hernia diagnosis. Asked doc how to treat it, he says keep doing what you have been. Kept big bottles of tums anywhere I might be. Later on the acid pump inhibitors came along and I started on them. I got pretty heavy, 250 lbs. 6' tall, and living on Prilosec was the way it was. Then around 2011 or so I lost 40+ lbs by diet and exercise. High cholesterol and high sugar went away. Also my indigestion went away. When I ate too much when heavy, my stomach wouldn't seal off on the entrance, causing acid, or the exit would let acid in my intestines, and I would have issues on the other end. Blamed my kidney cancer on Prilosec usage, as I used it for several years, but docs tell me that wasn't it. I believe it was caused by years of solvent use with several different solvents. Lost 40 lbs on cancer treatment, gained 60 lbs after getting over treatment. Indigestion came back.

Having live with indigestion my whole life, I always looked at as no big deal. However one night I woke up choking, and had gotten some acid into my lungs. I thought I was going to die. Took a couple of hours to get over it.

Sudden onset of indigestion should be investigated, as it can be an indication of a heart attack.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
      I think that Outdoor Griddle thread is catching up to you!!

Lol. You may be right

Comment

Thank you for all the responses from those who have dealt with it.

Comment

AC...I dont have acid reflux but have many friends who have it. Ive noticed a pattern. What is your blood type?

Im going to venture to say O. Os have a higher stomach acid concentration than As. If so...check your diet and please read the book "Eat right 4 your type" by Dr D'Adamo. Regardless of blood type it'd help you and your family to know what this book details.

Comment

I used to have it real bad when I was a teen. Dr put me on aciphex, not sure on spelling. It pretty much went away. I get every once in awhile still. Water only makes it worse for me, sometimes it's easier just to throw up the acid then you will feel better.

Comment

I developed erosive gastritis about 18 months ago. Dr prescribed me Omeprazole to limit the amount of acid produced. Changed it all for the better.

My dentist has had acid reflux and benefited from the same medication.

Good Luck.

Comment

I'm gonna have it bad tonight!
                Attached Files

Comment

I take a 325mg aspirin and a Plavix daily. I had acid reflux bad. 3 bleeding ulcers, 3 days in the hospital and 3 units of red blood cells later the doc put me on Protonics. No issues since.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

My emergency fix is cold milk! Knocks it out for time being. I take radateline or something like that every morning and no issues unless I miss a couple days in a row.

Comment

Guys acid reflux can kill you - it is a major cause of esophageal cancer- I had it and did not know it - no symptoms.

By the grace of God I had a different procedure and found I had Barretts esophagus- had it frozen and take Nexium every day - do not blow this stuff off - the acid can eat your throat up

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                        Guys acid reflux can kill you - it is a major cause of esophageal cancer- I had it and did not know it - no symptoms.

By the grace of God I had a different procedure and found I had Barretts esophagus- had it frozen and take Nexium every day - do not blow this stuff off - the acid can eat your throat up

That's scary stuff. I'm glad you're ok now.

Comment

Tell your doctor you want Dexilant. You're supposed to take it daily but I take it once every 3 days and it has knocked mine out.

Comment

I have it and take it very seriously. My oldest brother died from esophageal cancer caused by acid reflux. Another brother has Barrett’s esophagus from the same issue. Esophageal cancer is a very ugly way to die. Don’t ignore it!

Comment

I had it bad. Changed the way I live. Nothing tomatoe based. No salsa, sauce, nada. Nothing with a lot of acid in it after lunch. No red meat after lunch and no starch foods after lunch. Limit my dairy to breakfast.
                              Only time I have it now is if I have a few drinks

Comment

Had it all my life...zantac was a life saver.
                                Now i take 1 zantac 150 (or the HEB equivilant...its the same thing).. every day (or right before i have a meal that undoubtedly will put a hurt on me..)
                                Also..stay away from chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                                X