No announcement yet.

3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent more than I probably should have. My fiancee could have cared less how big the rock was but in my eyes it's a one time deal so I wanted it to be special.

Comment

Its stupid. You wanna know where that comes from? An advertisement by the folks selling you said rocks in the 1920s. Go look it up. One of the most successful advertising campaigns ever, as here we are still talking about it.
      If you still feel like doing so, look up the companies sellig you that rock. Most of the commercial jewelers at the mall are actually owned by the same company. Its false competitiveness.
      I understand wanting to get something nice cause you care. When I proposed I was working 3 jobs and about to graduate college. Still bought my wife somethig unique that she loves, silver ring with black princess diamond and higher grade diamond accents. She loved it so much for her wedding ring she got a chevron pattern white gold ring her engagement one could slide into, with a row of black diamonds and a row of higher quality normal diamonds.
      Understand that even the pricing on "higher quality" diamonds is arbitrary.

Comment

Nan got her diamond from me after 25 years of marriage, and 3 kids. We were both college students when engaged and my 3 month salary would have been about $1500

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          I was told this by multiple folks. I heard it, and then asked a couple more people, and then was looking at some stuff with her online to get an idea of what she liked/wanted. She deserves it. Puts up with me, and I dont take an issue with any of her $$ choices. She makes triple what I do.
          If she wants a big fancy ring..then maybe.

But you or we hear lots of things from people and society. I was just told I couldn't wear my camo shorts to my nephews wedding...what ever. Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Does it really matter? If it does.... it may be the wrong gal.

This right here,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would ignore that nonsense and do what you think is fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                Does it really matter? If it does.... it may be the wrong gal.
                Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                I’d go wife shopping instead of ring shopping if she had told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No kidding!

I spent maybe a check when I didnt make half the money I make now. AND bought it at a pawnshop

Comment

The ring I bought was a little less than 2 months of my pay but I also got a great deal on it. An older gentleman I play golf with pretty often is a jeweler. If I had paid retail then it would have been 3 months of my pay if not more, which would have been way too much...

Comment

Wait, so if you make say 100k a year you are supposed to get a ring valued at 25k??? 25k on a ring??? Oh hail naw!!!

Comment

I didn't spend 3 months salary. That would have been insane. I did end up with an awesome ring though that my fiance loves and I got it through blood-sport here on TBH. I'm in Dallas and he's in Houston and we did everything over the phone and email. Get with him and he will shoot you straight on how to get the most for your money.

Comment

I think its ridiculous to spend that much. I know I dang sure didn't. If you are looking to get the most bang for your buck look into lab grown diamonds. Get about 1/3 more size (or more) for the same cost as one some kid dug out of the ground in Africa. They are not CZ's, they are chemically the same as natural mined diamonds and a jeweler cannot tell the difference between the two besides the tiny laser engraving that marks them. I went this route and made the fiance happy because she got exactly what she wanted and made my pocketbook happy all at the same time.

Comment

I rank this in the same category as the what your supposed to get for each anniversary discussion. Sounds good (to the people selling the stuff) but not realistic.

Comment

The 3 month rule has been around for decades. It was started by the businesses trying to sell you an expensive ring. Go figure

Comment

All I know is I have a close buddy who bought his wife a big rock and paid close to 20K for it. I paid what I could afford for my wife's (it wasn't even close 20K) and when the 2 are together my wife is the one getting all the compliments from people because of the clarity of the diamond. Do your research and get what you can afford, you can always upgrade size later.

Comment

When you finally decide, please let us know what you buy. Then show us a picture of the ring and a picture of your fiancé so we can determine if you made a good decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X