3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
    Okay - so, that's what I'm saying. I can afford a dang nice ring, and a lot of that is because of how well she does. I have a truck payment ($350) and that's it.

We have a great house, and have lived together for 2 years. Everything is great. I have no debt or anything nagging at me.

So, if you were doing well and are 35, not just starting out. What would you spend on your engagement ring? Yes, she would be happy with whatever I got her, but what would you want to do for her?
    I would do pretty much like I do other large purchases. I would do my research decide what style I (she ) wanted, then start shopping around. Once I established a price range of rings that satisfied my criteria I would make the decision if it was worth it to me or not. I wouldn't worry about how many months of salary, just simply if the purchase made sense to me. Good luck

Comment

I bought my wife a nice band from James Avery, and promised that I would replace with a big rock after 10 years of Goodness, she got her rock after 15 }:O
      True story

Comment

I thought that rule of thumb came around from when the husband was the primary provider for the family, so selling the ring was a way for the wife to get by for a few months if her husband were to die unexpectedly.

I bought an ugly ring at a pawn shop that had a nice diamond, and had it put in a new setting. The markup on jewelry is ridiculous.

Comment

I got lucky and my wife wanted to use the stone from her grandmother’s ring so I got off easy with a platinum setting.

Where I’m getting screwed is the “push present”, she said she wants a band to match her wedding band for having a kid. Her yuppie friends from The Woodlands got the idea in her head. My wedding band was $100 and I’m not getting anything for putting up with her the last 9 mo!

Buy your lady what you can afford to spend without financing, if she’s worth it she’ll be happy

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
            I got lucky and my wife wanted to use the stone from her grandmother’s ring so I got off easy with a platinum setting.

Where I’m getting screwed is the “push present”, she said she wants a band to match her wedding band for having a kid. Her yuppie friends from The Woodlands got the idea in her head. My wedding band was $100 and I’m not getting anything for putting up with her the last 9 mo!

Buy your lady what you can afford to spend without financing, if she’s worth it she’ll be happy
            I tried to get my wife a nice watch for her present and she shot that down quick and said it was a waste. I’m not much for arguing so I spent it on a hunt

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              I tried to get my wife a nice watch for her present and she shot that down quick and said it was a waste. I’m not much for arguing so I spent it on a hunt
              Luckily my jeweler just had his first kid a couple months ago so I’m getting a nice cash discount!

Comment

3 months salary ??

3 months salary on ring, wow...ridiculous. I guess in a few years when we supposed to spend 4 or 5 months salary on a ring, some people will do that too. Lol sheeple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife got a $90 cubic zirconia and she bought it!!

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    Dude just get her a ring that you think she'll like. Quit letting everyone else tell you how to think.
                    X2, she is going to love it either way. Just try to find the style you think she would like and you can afford. I wouldn't borrow money for it. You are putting thought into it and she should notice that. If she doesn't like the ring you can always buy a different one later. I wear one of those rubber rings now, think it cost like $1. But then again I am a guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X