Anyone raise chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    How many of yall live in a subdivision? I would like to get some, but I think my neighbors would throw a fit, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy hear them squawk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just don't get a rooster.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      It's cheaper to buy your eggs. I have chickens but it's only because the wife.
      On the other side it's another chore to do. " I have the WIFE but it's only because of the chickens".

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

I repurposed an old rusting away 2 horse trailer into a chicken house and laying boxes. Put 1/2 wire over sliding windows and above the rear doors. This way I can control the temperature and ventilation. We open rear doors and let all 16(1 rooster &.15 hens) of them free range out in the country. Close the door in the evening. Wash the floor and clean the ledge and boxes weekly. The # of scorpions has greatly decreased. My dog has been taught to ignore them. No critter problems in over 2 years with trailer parked under a huge live oak out front.

Comment

How many of yall live in a subdivision? I would like to get some, but I think my neighbors would throw a fit, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy hear them squawk.

I lived in a subdivision when i stated out. 1/4 acre lot. I had 3 to begin with. Only time they start bawking is when they lay and its not that much. The neighbors all thought they were cool. Way less annoying than the neighbor with a barking dog.

On the 6 foot fence question yes they can but mine never did. In fact they dont jump my 5 foot fence at my new house. I would let them roam around the backyard in the evenings and they put themselves up at night.

Stinking is not an issue either with mine. There are 2 ways to do it without stink. One is sand. I did this with my first coop. Every other day or so ide go in the coop and scoop out the sand like a litter box. Not that big of a chore, but it was a chore. Now i do the "deep litter method". Basically you just keep piling staw or shavings in the coop every so often. The chickens mess breaks down the material and creates a health bacteria that basically combats the smell. Like a living earth system. Clean it out every year and it goes into the compost pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            My "tractor" is on 2x6 skids. It's 5x10 and I would move it with my ranger. It served me well for a few years.

I'll agree on welded wire. I just finished the "chicken mansion" and hog ringed 1x2 welded wire to hog panels. We also dug a trench around the perimeter and buried old bricks 3 deep. I don't have a real bad critter problem but have lost a couple over the years. Our biggest fight was hawks. They played hell with bannys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Hawks are definitely a concern, my wife wants to "free range" them but I told her they won't last very long if we do that. I plan to build something big enough they can stay in most days and then let them out when we are home on the weekends etc.

Comment

Neighbors will probably never know if you just have a few hens that stay confined to your yard. When we lived in a subdivision one of the houses behind me built a huge coop that stuck up above the fence and looked like crap but other than that I would have never known they had them.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                Hawks are definitely a concern, my wife wants to "free range" them but I told her they won't last very long if we do that. I plan to build something big enough they can stay in most days and then let them out when we are home on the weekends etc.
                The hawks only messed with the little birds. Our current 4 can be out all day and not have an issue. We lost 4 bantam/nakins in about 2 weeks last summer

Comment

Working...
                X