No announcement yet.

Anyone raise chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's all you ever needed to know about the doors.

We have the advanced version. You set the time and plug in the coordinates (lat/lon) of the coop location, and it will open closed based on the sunrise/sunset you want. Runs on 4 AA batteries as well as 110V. I keep the batteries in ours JIC, but we have never lost power in 3 years, even through Harvey when we got over 53" of rain, so it's run pretty much on 110V all the time.

Comment

You can get automatic door with battery or plug into 120. I have a battery/solar and it has been running for years. Got it from a 2 man company in Lockhart

Comment

Video of install/operation of the auto door I have...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLarX5LpX3E"]Automatic Chicken Coop Door - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I loved stepping bare footed in chicken shiat as a kid. Where's that "smell" thread?

Comment

Really easy just feed and water them. Mine fly a foot or two off the ground into our old quail hut and we lock them in at night. Always buy a couple extra though as chicks they will probably peck each other to death or you will loose at least one a year from hawks ect.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              You can get automatic door with battery or plug into 120. I have a battery/solar and it has been running for years. Got it from a 2 man company in Lockhart

I did the research and bought the same one.

I had electric but decided on the solar panel.

This is the web site. Worth every penny.

Whether you live in town or out in the countryside, the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door will make your life easier! Shop our line of chicken coop doors.

Comment

We had five in the backyard until one decided to get in the hot tub this past weekend. Now there are four. We normally get 3-4 eggs per day.

Comment

Bumping this back up...wife is bringing these home today so now it's time to build a brooder.

Going to build our permanent coop in a few weeks and looking for ideas. I want to build it on skids so it can be moved if I want. We have several fox around so I am trying to decide if I should attach a hog panel floor to the bottom of the skids to keep them from digging in?

Click image for larger version

Name:	chick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	24538683

Comment

I did a 1' skirt of welded wire around the outside of my coop to keep anything from digging in. On my first round of chicks my dog dug a hole outside the coop. She didnt get in, but the chicks were able to get out the coop trough the hole, where they then became dog toys. So i learned my lesson the hard way.

Also use 1/2" hardware cloth instead of chicken wire on the coop. It will last longer and is more predator proof.

Comment

We have a happy little girl tonight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4564.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24538695

Comment

The only chicken I raise is fried from my plate to my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          Bumping this back up...wife is bringing these home today so now it's time to build a brooder.

Going to build our permanent coop in a few weeks and looking for ideas. I want to build it on skids so it can be moved if I want. We have several fox around so I am trying to decide if I should attach a hog panel floor to the bottom of the skids to keep them from digging in?

[ATTACH]906574[/ATTACH]
                          My "tractor" is on 2x6 skids. It's 5x10 and I would move it with my ranger. It served me well for a few years.

I'll agree on welded wire. I just finished the "chicken mansion" and hog ringed 1x2 welded wire to hog panels. We also dug a trench around the perimeter and buried old bricks 3 deep. I don't have a real bad critter problem but have lost a couple over the years. Our biggest fight was hawks. They played hell with bannys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I wanted to get a few but my wife says they stink (they used to have some when they were kids). We live in the city but have a descent size yard. Ca they be free roam without them flying over a six foot fence?

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                              I wanted to get a few but my wife says they stink (they used to have some when they were kids). We live in the city but have a descent size yard. Ca they be free roam without them flying over a six foot fence?
                              There is a way to cut the wings do they fly less

Comment

How many of yall live in a subdivision? I would like to get some, but I think my neighbors would throw a fit, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy hear them squawk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X