Anyone raise chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    It's cheaper to buy your eggs. I have chickens but it's only because the wife.
    Cheaper to buy organic, free range Angus beef than venison as well, but we still hunt, don't we?

Comment

Congrats to the folks that enjoy raising chickens and the fresh eggs. But in my case, I hope we have planned well enough and the economy never gets bad enough where I ever have to mess with them in my life time. That goes for pigs also ��.

Comment

We just grew our flock from 4 to 14 and 2 duck. Its an addiction. lol Got the kids some americanas and Easter eggers this weekend for blue and green eggs. They love it. In addition to the eggs, you get compost and entertainment. Our are like dogs and i can call them in. Pretty funny animals.
        Last edited by Part Timer; 04-02-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

If all goes according to plan, we will have some by the end of the summer. My daughter loves animals so I don't really care how much cheaper it is to buy eggs. I figure the more I can give her to do outside the less likely she will be glued to a TV.

Comment

We had about 10 of them. Had more eggs than the 3 of us could keep up with. I have a Doberman, and she never bothered them until she hit about 8 months old. She started killing them, and I decided I liked her alot better then the chickens. The remaining chickens became gumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by txdrhntr View Post
              No pictures right now but I just got finished building my wife a 5x10 coop for her chicken addiction. We had an agreement originally to keep the flock around 8-10 now we are up to about 16 full size and 6 more in the brooder that she brought home from atwoods on Saturday.
              That my friend is what you call chicken math. Get a few and the next thing you know you have 20!!!!

Comment

Build your own coop! You’ll end up doing it anyway so don’t waste the money on a store bought or kit. They’re typically trash anyway. Here’s ours:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 12 laying hens and one rooster. We've recently purchased an incubator and now have 6 new chics, as of two weeks ago.
                  We get 8-10 eggs per day.
                  Build your own coop. Buying one from TSC or a hardware store will just force you to buy another one next year or keep repairing it. I've built several and sold them on CL. I started designing them with paper, pencil, and a ruler. I'm about to build another for our yard.
                  Our next project is raising meat birds. My sis in law has a couple hundred acres of pasture where we'll raise them and process them. Yes, probably cheaper to buy store bought, etc etc. That's not really the point though.

J

Comment

Agree about building your own. Here is the one I built.

Comment

We have 5 chickens now, but had 6 at one time. Started off with one of the pre-fab coops and it lasted 2 years before falling apart. Built this one a few months ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice Coop!

Comment

Tip on the coop build if you go that route. They say 2 or 3sq ft per bird for the coop and 5sq ft per bird in the run(less if you free range them).

1 cubic ft for each nesting box. 1 nesting box per 4 or 5 birds. 10" per bird for your roosting perch.

Ive been reseaching the snot out of it, because i am going to build a bigger coop. So go bigger if you can, Cause you will end up with more birds. That chicken math is real. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Part Timer; 04-03-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            It's cheaper to buy your eggs. I have chickens but it's only because the wife.
                            We haven't bought feed in over 2 years. Our chickens lay enough and the feed store buys eggs. They pay for their own feed

And the chicken math is for real. My wife has turned into the crazy bird lady. We have 30 something hens and one rooster. Also have 14 guineas.

She has a broody hen right now and she put her on about a dz eggs :facepalm
                            Last edited by asttbe; 04-03-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

We keep between 40-70 hens and typically about 3 roosters. That said, I would prefer to have about 10 lol.

We currently have two hens sitting on eggs and three hens in the broody breaker. It's spring and they all want to sit.

Comment

Here is a feeder I put together for them. 3.5” 90s in a barrel. Holds about 4 sacks of laying pellets.

Comment

Working...
                                X