So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote
    =Dale Moser;13282454]It's becoming blatantly obvious that most people on this site don't know **** from wild honey about quail hunting.

I would suggest if you can't kill a deer from October to mid January, you don't know that much about deer hunting either...[/quote]

Amen!

Comment

Quail

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Love me some quail. How many months do you need a kill a deer?
      Haha! Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Ironic!

The most elite irony in fact

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          I'm sure the most vocal were landowners not wanting hunters another two weeks.

In my area we don't need another two weeks extended deer season. Biggest majority of hunting is done well before Christmas.
          In my area we don't really need October or the first couple of weeks of November because of the heat, acorns, late freezes, rut etc. You willing to give those up? You know, as long as it is only about certain people's area...

EVERYONE'S hunting opportunities should be considered not just whether it affects you in your piece of Texas you hunt. Hunting and hunter recruitment is declining and any opportunity that can be given to hunters should.

I do agree with you that landowners were probably just as vocal against it which is unfortunate and again short sighted. As a landowner, you are free to lease or not lease, lease for November only if you choose or lease separately to quail hunters and deer hunters and what we are discussing doesn't affect that freedom.

Comment

I'm pretty much ok with the deer season as it is. If it were extended I'm sure I'd hunt those extra days. Can't remember the last time I went quail hunting although I sure would if the quail numbers justified the effort. At least where we hunt (San Saba County).

I have to wonder if they considered what kind of economic impact it would have on small towns if they did extend the deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              Uh, quail hunters weren't just considered, they were favored. Do yourself a favor and read the article in the chronicle. Then you can come back here and continue insulting people.
              They were considered, and you're mad...one could only take that to mean you didn't think they should have been considered.

Think about this....you are mad because nothing was taken from you. You are mad because nothing was given to "them".....think about that real hard. You are mad because a good system was left as it has been for decades.

Regarding all comments about the quail population and length of season....the 2 are so insignificantly related that they are almost not related. The quail population was almost gone in most of the north Texas counties affected by the end of the drought in 2014. In 2015 the rains came and the birds were thick as flys on a steamin ****.

They hatch, they die. Hunters have VERY little effect on the population.

And if the average quail hunter, or even the the top 30%, were as "elite" as you seem to think....they'd just lease your deer lease for the year and leave you're whiny *** at home.
              Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Biff and Buffy win again.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                  Landowners can set lease terms to whatever length they want but because they are too chicken/greedy/whatever this didn't pass. I also believe that some landowners (probably mostly with money from lease fees, etc.) were against this and don't want people on their land and I think this is total BS as well.
                  Head scratcher....

Landowners are greedy for wanting to keep what they have, but you are not for wanting more?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Read the article that I posted and most of your questions will be answered.
                    Again, you are ****** because the system worked as it should. The people that showed up won. Most of the comments I have seen on this page lean from I don't really care either way, to no, its stupid to extend the season.

Fact is, hunting in Texas is a rich man's game regardless of it being birds or deer.

Comment

In my area we don't really need October or the first couple of weeks of November because of the heat, acorns, late freezes, rut etc. You willing to give those up? You know, as long as it is only about certain people's area...

EVERYONE'S hunting opportunities should be considered not just whether it affects you in your piece of Texas you hunt. Hunting and hunter recruitment is declining and any opportunity that can be given to hunters should.

I do agree with you that landowners were probably just as vocal against it which is unfortunate and again short sighted. As a landowner, you are free to lease or not lease, lease for November only if you choose or lease separately to quail hunters and deer hunters and what we are discussing doesn't affect that freedom.
                      You have two months of rifle to shoot a deer. Another month if you bow hunt. It’s plenty long enough already.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                        Quail, can't you just raise those and ring their neck at maturity?
                        Heck this is Texas.... you can do that with Deer.

Me and everybody I know voted against it, and none of us quail hunt. If anything deer hunters are elitist.

Comment

Other than the elitist comments I agree with you 100%. I love to deer hunt and I love to quail hunt. I often do both on the same weekend so I think it is BS to say the longer deer season has to make a shorter quail season. Landowners can set lease terms to whatever length they want but because they are too chicken/greedy/whatever this didn't pass. I also believe that some landowners (probably mostly with money from lease fees, etc.) were against this and don't want people on their land and I think this is total BS as well. The TPWD f'd this up plain and simple. I haven't heard a legitimate (to me) argument for this not passing yet.
                          Since you figure the landowers were chicken, greedy ,etc for not wanting you on their land another 2 weeksmaybe you should go buy your own and go mld and you can hunt longer. You may not realize it, but landowners have things to do on the property and may want some undisturbed time on THEIR land, that they are nice enough to lease to you.

Comment

Yeah just start deer hunting earlier that way u might can actually kill a deer you have on trail cameras!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                              Heck this is Texas.... you can do that with Deer.

Me and everybody I know voted against it, and none of us quail hunt. If anything deer hunters are elitist.
                              That's not true, well maybe the high fence hunters are

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Head scratcher....

Landowners are greedy for wanting to keep what they have, but you are not for wanting more?
                                Maybe I am greedy but I still say more hunter opportunity for everyone the better and TPWD's decision on this doesn't provide more hunter opportunity. I have already admitted this one hits close to home for me because I hunt less than 5 miles off of 90...on the north side.

Back to your point, I don't see how the landowner doesn't have every right to keep what they have if the deer season date is changed, maybe greedy isn't the right word. If currently a landowner leases for deer season thru the first weekend in January and then quail season from second weekend in January until the end of quail season he is free to set that in the terms of his lease no matter if the end of deer season is changed or not by TPWD. The deer hunters then have a choice for their agreement with the landowner. They can either keep on keeping on and probably ***** here and there about not being able to hunt the whole deer season or they can find a new place. That is their choice and the landowner's. The landowner won't be affected because they can always find a new group to lease their land for the same or probably more money if the current group leaves.

Comment

Working...
                                X