No announcement yet.

So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my younger days when I could walk all day I would rather hunt quail than anything else. Just love watching the dogs work and the flush of the coveys.

Now days I shoot them on senderos lol...not quite the same.

Comment

Anyone looking for an after deer season quail lease ???

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
        I wish they would wait and not open deer season until November and then extend it until the end of Jan. (to Dang hot in Oct. to hunt anyway)
        x2

Comment

I used to hunt quail when I was a kid. There is nothing like watching good dogs work. Unfortunately between the fire ants and other preditors I have not seen a wild quai in about 35 years.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Actually...

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              Yes! PM me if you are serious. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                I sent in my comment. 91,524 people hunted quail in Texas in the 2016-17 season ( the latest year for which data is available); TP&W estimates that 900,000 hunters hunted deer in 2017. That's a ten fold difference. They don't break it down by date, but I seriously doubt that quail hunting numbers come close to deer hunting even late in the season. The numbers don't lie.
                So you are saying Deer hunters do not hunt quail?

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  Just some thoughts.

South Texas has the longer season (and a larger deer bag limit) and it doesn’t seem to bother quail hunters there...

Also, is it OK to shoot down two more weeks of hunting opportunity for 650,000 North Zone deer hunters – bringing them up to a season length equal to the one South Texas has now – for the concerns of maybe a few thousand quail hunters in one small (maybe 20ish-county) areas of a 226-county zone? I’m sure all the folks who hunt quail in East Texas and the Post Oak Savannah and Hill County (all 10 of those quail hunters) are glad to not have deer hunters messing up two more weeks of their quail hunting...

Quail hunters have a 17-week season. Deer hunters in North Zone have a 9-week season. In South Texas, they have an 11-week deer season. So which of those has more opportunity?

And for the folks saying “the season’s too long now; cut it back.” You don’t have to go hunting... But there’s the OPPORTUNITY to go. And what can be bad about that? As long as the resources can handle it, enjoy!

Comment

Dogs, shotguns, lots of hunters hooping and hollering, extra vehicle and 4 wheeler traffic, etc., all spook deer- enough said.

Comment

Because 3 months isn't enough time to kill a deer...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Instead of whining on the internet, bird hunters went to meetings and made thier voices heard.

Comment

I love quail hunting most fun me and my dad ever had was hunt behind some good pointers man I sure miss it. Hunting single birds out in a rocky cactus covered broom weed patch after a cubby of quail flushed in front of the dogs keeping a eye open for snakes and shed horns of any kind wow great memories. Close deer season first weekend in January 3 months of hunting is long enough hunters needs a break and so do the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                            Instead of whining on the internet, bird hunters went to meetings and made thier voices heard.
                            I guess deer hunters sent their comments via the internet. That's how I did it.

Comment

So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Originally posted by Les View Post
                              Just some thoughts.

South Texas has the longer season (and a larger deer bag limit) and it doesn’t seem to bother quail hunters there...

Also, is it OK to shoot down two more weeks of hunting opportunity for 650,000 North Zone deer hunters – bringing them up to a season length equal to the one South Texas has now – for the concerns of maybe a few thousand quail hunters in one small (maybe 20ish-county) areas of a 226-county zone? I’m sure all the folks who hunt quail in East Texas and the Post Oak Savannah and Hill County (all 10 of those quail hunters) are glad to not have deer hunters messing up two more weeks of their quail hunting...

Quail hunters have a 17-week season. Deer hunters in North Zone have a 9-week season. In South Texas, they have an 11-week deer season. So which of those has more opportunity?

And for the folks saying “the season’s too long now; cut it back.” You don’t have to go hunting... But there’s the OPPORTUNITY to go. And what can be bad about that? As long as the resources can handle it, enjoy!

It's worth noting that every quail hunter I know, also hunts deer. So we do have some overlap in the demographic.

I have never hunted quail in South Texas, so I'm not certain how the dynamic works down there. Let me give you a couple of scenarios that I have personally experienced dozens of times over the years in NW Texas.

Very close to 100% of the ground we hunted quail on over the years was also hundred for deer. Ordinarily we would lease the land from the landowner after deer season through the close of quail season. At least some of the deer hunters were always there, either hunting hogs, moving blinds, or packing up their trailers etc. inevitably, they would come over to check out the dogs, ask questions about them, etc., and nine times out of 10 someone wound up hunting with us. We never had anything but good experiences and interactions with these folks, and made quite a few friends.

The other most common scenario was someone on a deer lease who had seen quail all year long during deer season, and they would invite us out with the dogs after deer season was over, provided they got to hunt with us. These were always my favorites because the guys were prepared, and chomping at the bit to go hunt birds. A lot of the time we didn't even carry guns, just work dogs and let them shoot.

The third most common was family land, you know the drill…"yeah, you can hunt in there but wait till after deer season because my cousin Billy Bob there too".blah blah.

In all of these scenarios over the years, probably 95% would not have been possible if it were still deer season. See you're radically the landowner could set his own seasons and still lease to quail hunters, but I guarantee you it would never happen… It just wouldn't.

In 100% of these scenarios the Deer hunters in question had had three months worth of opportunity to hunt deer already, so I don't feel that that's any opportunity lost. What they did have was an opportunity to hunt quail that they previously would not have had. On the whole, there were many more opportunities made available to them, than there were taken away. Plus the opportunities for the regular quail guys such as ourselves, as well as the dozens upon dozens of "deer hunters" who hunted deer elsewhere, that we got to take quail hunting with us.

I realize many of the "elites" are not as inclusive as our group was, but they make up a very small percentage of total quail hunters, and the ground they hunt is not getting deer hunted anyway.

Apologies for spelling and punctuation, the voice text does not always sabe redneck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I don’t have a problem either way. For me, deer season is plenty long, all the deer I saw after Thanksgiving were the regulars both in person and on trail cameras. I’m fortunate to be able to run our Boykins on pen raised birds most of the year which keeps them and me happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X