No announcement yet.

So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing, and I'm a quail hunter. Lots of acreage is subleased for quail hunting "after deer season". I'm sure a lot of big ranches were against it for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      So you think the vocal minority 10% has more $$$ than the 90% deer hunters?
      Absolutely, yes, without a doubt.

Comment

Come early January I am ready for it to be done after getting after it for three months plus all of the summer getting pens ready, feeding, checking cameras etc etc. That's a lot of 10 hour round trips over the course of 6 months. Tack on 4 weekends of dove hunting prior too bow season and I'm ready for a break. Plus we have deer start dropping their antlers in mid January so it would possibly save some oops. That being said, I'm not against it going an extra two weeks, I'm just not mad that it stayed the same.

Comment

I understand wildlife management is an actual science, and determining optimal season lengths involves more variables than counting up "likes" on the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            Absolutely, yes, without a doubt.

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              I understand wildlife management is an actual science, and determining optimal season lengths involves more variables than counting up "likes" on the internet...
              TP&W always looks to the biologists first, and they said a longer season would not negatively impact the resource, and even stated that some portions of the Hill Country with high deer densities could benefit from a longer season. According the article in the Houston Chronicle, it was specifically quail hunters in the rolling plains that succeeded in killing the proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                TP&W always looks to the biologists first, and they said a longer season would not negatively impact the resource, and even stated that some portions of the Hill Country with high deer densities could benefit from a longer season. According the article in the Houston Chronicle, it was specifically quail hunters in the rolling plains that succeeded in killing the proposal.

Then why don't they increase the bags limits on deer in the counties that could benefit from a longer season? That seems like a good plan B to me.

Comment

Wow!
                  Quail hunting is big business in Texas. People travel from all over the country to come here to the last refuge of good wild quail hunting in the country. I have a buddy up in Crockett who bought his property specifically to entertain wealthy clients on quail hunts, and he has a waiting list. We used to sublease quail rights in Goliad for more than half of the cost of our lease. Yes, quail hunting is a sport of the wealthy. Not entirely, but more an more so.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

Comment

Originally posted by pharmvet View Post
                      This thread has the potential to turn bitter quick. You don’t seem to have a very favorable view of quail hunters in general. I must ask, why do you use the term elitist twice in your post to describe a group of fellow sportsmen who, like you, have a passion for their outdoor activity? Have you ever hunted quail behind a good set of dogs? If not, I would encourage you to try it. I can’t imagine any hunter not falling in love with quail hunting. As hunters, sportsmen, outdoorsmen we must work together to preserve our ENTIRE hunting heratige. Most quail hunting leases are only available after deer season as it is, which means quail hunters already miss out on the first 2 months of the legal season. Texas already has a generous season length and bag with regard to deer hunting. Also, deer hunting is king and deer hunters control the lease land. It seems to me that if much more is taken from quail hunting it will by necessity become a thing of the past. I for one would hate to see this happen.
                      Well said, I enjoying hunt both and couldn't agree more.

Comment

Then why don't they increase the bags limits on deer in the counties that could benefit from a longer season? That seems like a good plan B to me.
                        In the county I hunt that would require adding more tags to the license

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Come early January I am ready for it to be done after getting after it for three months plus all of the summer getting pens ready, feeding, checking cameras etc etc. That's a lot of 10 hour round trips over the course of 6 months. Tack on 4 weekends of dove hunting prior too bow season and I'm ready for a break. Plus we have deer start dropping their antlers in mid January so it would possibly save some oops. That being said, I'm not against it going an extra two weeks, I'm just not mad that it stayed the same.
                          I get that and I usually feel the same way by the end of the season. With that said, if this would have passed I would probably take off hunting during Christmas/New Year's instead of feeling like I have to take advantage of the last bit of the season and juggle the holidays. Especially on those years when it ends Jan 1 or 2nd. The extra 2 weeks would definitely improve the holidays. I know I'm probably overly sensitive on this issue since I hunt a couple miles north of 90. TPWD dropped the ball on improving hunter opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            I’m surprised TBH was so divided on the proposal. I don’t understand why anyone that likes deer hunting would be against having an extra two weeks to do it.
                            because quail hunting during deer season can push deer out to be killed by neighbors.

Comment

Man OP! For you not to have a dog in this hunt, you sure do have some strong opinions.

Comment

can someone post a link as to what this is about? I cannot find any thing on tpwd. Everything I see has it ending the third weekend in January.

Comment

Working...
                                X