So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, because we are MLDP, but it proves that the TP&W commission are just a bunch of elitists. I'm betting that the number of deer hunters taking advantage of the longer season would dwarf the number of quail hunters by at least a factor of 10, but the buddies of this elitist bunch succeeded in squashing the longer season. We need a purge of that board.
    Other than the elitist comments I agree with you 100%. I love to deer hunt and I love to quail hunt. I often do both on the same weekend so I think it is BS to say the longer deer season has to make a shorter quail season. Landowners can set lease terms to whatever length they want but because they are too chicken/greedy/whatever this didn't pass. I also believe that some landowners (probably mostly with money from lease fees, etc.) were against this and don't want people on their land and I think this is total BS as well. The TPWD f'd this up plain and simple. I haven't heard a legitimate (to me) argument for this not passing yet.

Comment

Ultrastealth, what is the demographics of the 10% that was against the longer season?
      Last edited by pharmvet; 03-29-2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swampranger View Post
        folks just think duck and deer hunting is expensive, the quail hunters are in a leauge of their own.
        [ATTACH]902603[/ATTACH]

Comment

That stinks. Late season can be real good up my way!

Comment

Haha! Truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              Because over 90% of the responses to the the extended season were positive, yet they went against it in favor of a vocal minority with $$$$$$$. That's elitist in my book.
              So you think the vocal minority 10% has more $$$ than the 90% deer hunters?

Comment

One of the reasons I no longer have a kennel full of dogs!!!!
                Dang ole deer hunters!!!

Comment

I call BS

Comment

Did you show up to argue for the longer season? Did they show up to argue for the same season? Did you call and find out why they decided to keep season as is?

You say you bet the numbers of hunters would dwarf bird hunters. Based on what? My experience has been after Thanksgiving, deer hunters drop significantly. Like to 10-20% of what they were prior to Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                      Cheaper to get quail at HEB.
                      It's way cheaper to get any meat at HEB.

Comment

I’m surprised TBH was so divided on the proposal. I don’t understand why anyone that likes deer hunting would be against having an extra two weeks to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Love me some quail. How many months do you need a kill a deer?
                          13 at least

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

No dog in the fight but it reminds me of something I heard once: Deer hunters drive to the ranch. Quail hunters fly to the ranch.

Comment

He ll start it in September so we can kill some velvet bucks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                Did you show up to argue for the longer season? Did they show up to argue for the same season? Did you call and find out why they decided to keep season as is?

You say you bet the numbers of hunters would dwarf bird hunters. Based on what? My experience has been after Thanksgiving, deer hunters drop significantly. Like to 10-20% of what they were prior to Thanksgiving.
                                I sent in my comment. 91,524 people hunted quail in Texas in the 2016-17 season ( the latest year for which data is available); TP&W estimates that 900,000 hunters hunted deer in 2017. That's a ten fold difference. They don't break it down by date, but I seriously doubt that quail hunting numbers come close to deer hunting even late in the season. The numbers don't lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X