What generation Texan are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Not sure where my great grandfather was born, but he rode with the James Gang.. My grandfather's name was Jesse James Cheatom and he was born here in Texas... The gang had fled Missouri and come to Texas to hide out from the Feds n Pinkerton boys so that makes me at least 3 generations maybe 4 or more... My grandmother on that side was a Cherokee, and never had a birth certificate, but supposedly came from northeast Okla or SW Mo. My grandpa was sure fun to sit and listen to... He was born in 1883 and lived to be a hunert... Died in October... If he'd made it to January, he'd a been a hunert n 1... Was real healthy and mentally sharp until about 6-8 months before his death... He plowed a 1+acre garden with a dang merry-tiller when he was well into his 90's!! I'm a proud Texan, but come from a bunch of crooks!
    Black sheep in my family was Uncle Bill Longley. Don't know that he ever robbed anyone but he sure killed anyone he didn't like.

The racist Bill Longley was one of the most vicious gunfighters/killers in Texas and one hard man to hang.

Comment

5th generation here. Great Great Grandparents came over in 1877. Dad’s side settled in Serbin area and mom’s side settle the La Bahia area outside of Burton. Mom and dad still live on the property my great great grandparents bought back then.

Comment

at least 3rd,, no way to tell much earlier than 1900 my grandfathers back ground remains a true mystery,,, my mom's side goes back at least 4 generations,,, maybe farther

Comment

First and dang proud of it! Dad graduated college in AR and wanted to coach HS football so he said, "Y'all can all go to hell and I will go to Texas". No, wait. Davy Crockett said that. Dad may have said it though. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-Drop View Post
            6th generation Texan.
            I am also a direct descendant of "Austins old 300" and have a copy of the original land grant from Steven F Austin.
            Correction* Make that 7th generation. Originally moving to Tejas in 1823 as part of “The old 300”.
            Last edited by Double-Drop; 02-05-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

6th on my Dad’s side. They came across from Missouri and settled Saratoga with the native Indians

Comment

2nd. My wife is 5th.

Comment

Long **** time. I'll have to check the genealogy, but I believe 7th. Learned last year that a relative was signer on the Texas Declaration of Independence.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    I was not born in Texas but my dad's people settled in Houston county in the 1850's so I guess that accounts for something...
                    Sadly, Jerp, it counts for nothing. My Grandmother was on a trip from Texas and my mom was born in Carlsbad, NM in 1951. She came back to her home in Texas at 3 days old......we still refuse to recognize my own mother as a Texan and it sure gets under her skin.

Comment

Dang Curt, you're a hard man!! Wish they'd have been the same way on our former Kenyan president...

Comment

I'll have to double check the exact # but long enough family was Mexicans before Texans.

Grandma was a Mccoy. They settled in DeWitt colony early 1800s and had family killed in the Alamo.
                        Last edited by SmTx; 02-05-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm second... my grandparents on my dad's side came here from Italy and on my mom's side from Poland, all in the late 1800's early 1900's as infants/toddlers.

Comment

At least 3rd gen on all four sides (grandparents trees); fourth on some.
                            Last edited by meangreen04; 02-05-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
                              I just check cause I couldn’t remember but I’m 10th generation Texan! Jesus P Ybarbo (our grandpa) was born in 1857 in Nacadoches, TX and died 1956.
                              He was a Texas Ranger, he spent his youth as a cowboy driving herds of Longhorns cattle to Kansas City and Abilene before joining the Rangers. His great great grand father was Antonio Gil Y’Barbo one of the 1st settlers in the nacogdoches area before it was Tx he got a land grant from the queen of Spain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Hi cuz ! Don't forget, the Y'Barbo's lived in the Los Adaes area of Louisiana for decades before Nacogdoches was settled. At that time that part of the country was considered Texas/Tejas.

Comment

Originally posted by luna-tuna View Post
                                Hi cuz ! Don't forget, the Y'Barbo's lived in the Los Adaes area of Louisiana for decades before Nacogdoches was settled. At that time that part of the country was considered Texas/Tejas.

Yep that’s true,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X