Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
    Super nice deer Terrell County! You need to swap out that 1987 Tasco trail cam, so you can get a good look at him.
    Haha... I know I know

Comment

Thought this picture was pretty neat. Now this little guy just needs to avoid our trigger happy neighbors for the next 5/6 seasons.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
        A motel and cafe about all there is in Sheffield
        I don't think that the motel and cafe are open any longer.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Anyone hunting the area between the Pecos and Hwy. 349 between Sheffield and Dryden? I have hunted this area for many years and really enjoy the rugged terrain while the deer may not be as large as other areas of the state. At my age, it all about the hunt and less about the killing.
          I know quite a few of you post about the Paint Mare Ranch and I hunted it for years until it was sold and subdivided.
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
            Anyone hunting the area between the Pecos and Hwy. 349 between Sheffield and Dryden? I have hunted this area for many years and really enjoy the rugged terrain while the deer may not be as large as other areas of the state. At my age, it all about the hunt and less about the killing.
            I know quite a few of you post about the Paint Mare Ranch and I hunted it for years until it was sold and subdivided.
            Adios,
            Gary
            We hunt between Sheffield and Pumpville on the east side of 349.

Comment

I will be north of you. With the dry summer what body and antler growth do you think you are seeing?
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                I will be north of you. With the dry summer what body and antler growth do you think you are seeing?
                Adios,
                Gary

Gary,

I'm not seeing the horn quality that I have two years ago. It seems that the horns have gone down the last two years and i believe it's directly related to rainfall. Two years ago we had a lot of rain, but the last two years not so much. Body size appears to be good and the deer don't look like they're starving.

I killed a fair 10 last year at the end of the season. I held out for a couple of bucks that I'd seen on camera the last two years and they just never showed. I have another on camera after the season closed that was a real good deer. Split G-2's and a couple of kickers as well. I have one pic of him and that's all.

We had about 4 lions hanging around and I'm not certain they didn't get some of the better deer, but I haven't had one on camera in over a year.

I see the better bucks moving starting around December 8. I don't know what it is about that date, but that's when they really seem to get going.

Comment

December 8th is when we see more bucks. I have killed 2 on that day. We are 8 miles north of Dryden on Meyers Canyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary I sure am glad you posted! It was almost a month from the time I posted my future 190” muley, I think the rest of the Trans Pecos killers where jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      Gary,

I'm not seeing the horn quality that I have two years ago. It seems that the horns have gone down the last two years and i believe it's directly related to rainfall. Two years ago we had a lot of rain, but the last two years not so much. Body size appears to be good and the deer don't look like they're starving.

I killed a fair 10 last year at the end of the season. I held out for a couple of bucks that I'd seen on camera the last two years and they just never showed. I have another on camera after the season closed that was a real good deer. Split G-2's and a couple of kickers as well. I have one pic of him and that's all.

We had about 4 lions hanging around and I'm not certain they didn't get some of the better deer, but I haven't had one on camera in over a year.

I see the better bucks moving starting around December 8. I don't know what it is about that date, but that's when they really seem to get going.
                      Sounds like I need to run the hounds down there and see what we find on the lions. Experience tells me that if you have lions hanging in an area, you won't have any deer.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

The cats seem to move around out there. We’ve had pics of cats in our feed pens and not seen a deer on camera for 2-3 days afterwards and then all returns to normal. We’ve also had a pic of a huge cat in feed pen and deer at the same feeder an hour later with zero disruption to feed patterns. Go figure.

The cats are just part of Terrell County and that environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They do move around all across West Texas. Occasionally on will camp on a feeder for a couple of days and deer will disappear for about a week. The dummy deer that shows up an hour after the lion is there is generally the next meal. Lions are masters at working feeders and high fences.

Comment

I think the cats are getting more prevalent since more of that country is turning to hunting land. I think those old ranchers used to keep them under control. Our place has never been the same since the drought. The deer numbers have rebounded, but we’ve only killed one quality buck and that was last year. We’ve been hunting on the river south of Dryden for just under 20yrs. Historically it’s been all mule deer, but for the last 4/5 years we’ve been seeing more whitetails all the time. Where headed down to hunt the last weekend of archery, I’m hoping the heat will break by then. Good luck guys, I can’t wait to see some trophy pics start posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                              I think the cats are getting more prevalent since more of that country is turning to hunting land. I think those old ranchers used to keep them under control. Our place has never been the same since the drought. The deer numbers have rebounded, but we’ve only killed one quality buck and that was last year. We’ve been hunting on the river south of Dryden for just under 20yrs. Historically it’s been all mule deer, but for the last 4/5 years we’ve been seeing more whitetails all the time. Where headed down to hunt the last weekend of archery, I’m hoping the heat will break by then. Good luck guys, I can’t wait to see some trophy pics start posting!
                              Yup. When I moved to Menard in 1985, Sanderson had the largest wool and mohair warehouse in West Texas. Ranchers did everything legally and some not so legal to control predators. When Wool and Mohair Incentive was abolished in the late 80's, sheep and hair goats began disappearing. Ranchers were not willing to spend money for predator control if they were not raising sheep or goats. This is why I argue that there are more predators and lions in Texas than at anytime in my life.
                              I hate to see the whitetails invading what was once all mule deer country.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

I lowered these feeders and put cages around them with 4x4 squares. I thought they would be ok since we dont have many coons, but I was wrong the fox and coons go in and out like kids thru screen door!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X