Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
    Canvasback?
    I've killed 2 in my life, got em both mounted. Still don't know how they taste. Wonder if my taxidermist does?

Comment

My favorite way is seared in a cast iron skillet. I only use 2 ingredients: salt and butter.

I prefer to leave the skin on the breast halves if possible. Salt the breast and let sit for 30 minutes. Melt butter in a very hot skillet. Sear skin side down for 5 minutes, flip and sear for another 3-4 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes or so. Enjoy
      Smart man! The simpler the better. This is almost exactly how I do them but I use a little olive oil until it starts smoking...then add a healthy pat of butter and sear in that. Leave med to med rare and it is awesome. I have two breast halves off a last day, fat pintail sitting in the fridge right now (skin on) waiting for a skillet tonight or tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
        Recipe 1:
        Dredge duck breast fillets in a mix of egg and and milk, then roll in Italian bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a skillet at a medium setting (enough to keep the pan oiled, but not enough to "deep fry"). Lightly fry breast filets. Cooking too long will result in a dry, livery texture and flavor. Duck is best when served medium rare. In another sauce pan, begin heating two cups of blackberries on a low heat setting. Add a half cup of water (with sugar if you would like a sweeter flavor). Cook until reduced to a syrupy texture. When done, plate the filets and drizzle with the blackberry reduction.

Recipe 2:
        Brine whole duck (skin on) for 24 hours. Rub with your favorite spices. Heat oven to 375. Roast duck whole on roasting rack above baking pan for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and coat skin with a mango chutney glaze (available in sauce aisle in many stores). Return to oven for additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carve duck. My favorite way to do this is to slice the breast, wing, thigh, and leg away from the rib, spine, and hip. This results in a very nice looking and mostly boneless duck half with a wonderfully sticky sweet glaze. Drizzle any drippings in the backing pan on the duck when serving.
        Man I am hungry now!

Comment

My favorite way is seared in a cast iron skillet. I only use 2 ingredients: salt and butter.

I prefer to leave the skin on the breast halves if possible. Salt the breast and let sit for 30 minutes. Melt butter in a very hot skillet. Sear skin side down for 5 minutes, flip and sear for another 3-4 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes or so. Enjoy
          Simple, yet effective!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadmwtVveOc&t=4s"]TBHVJ 20 - Cooking Texas Wild Duck (Seared Gadwall) - YouTube[/ame]

I've never cooked wild duck before, but for my first attempt I wanted to do it the same way I would a farm raised duck from the store. I started by plucking...
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
            Never killed one, killed and ate all the others I listed.
            I've never had mallard or wood duck.

Canvasback is better than any other duck I've had. I've only killed a few, also had one mounted. Most of the ducks we shoot are widgeon, gadwall, teal, ringnecks, redhead, and pintail. I like them all.

Comment

Canvasback?
              I've cooked several whole. Fantastic. In the days of selling wild meat they were the most sought after and called the "king of ducks" due to pounds of meat per bird and meat quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                I've cooked several whole. Fantastic. In the days of selling wild meat they were the most sought after and called the "king of ducks" due to pounds of meat per bird and meat quality.
                Yeah I think Hank talks about that in Duck Duck Goose. A canvasback was something like $100 a plate in today's dollars.

The best duck I've ever eaten was a whole smoked canvasback that I smoked in my Traeger. Amazing stuff.

Comment

Canvasback is one of my favorite ducks on the dinner table! We shot a mess of them last year and they taste as good as they look on the wall. I use a lot of Hank Shaw's recipes for waterfowl and they've all been worth the effort; started keeping the legs off the bigger birds last year to slow roast them and it's definitely worth the effort if you have 5-6 good eating birds to work with.

An easy way to roast duck or goose legs, from Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.

Comment

Anyone have a duck sausage recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                      All the people that say it's not edible or taste like crap are the same ones that probably have poor game care skills, don't know how to cook, or just be we eaten it and spit out heresay
                      Lets see if we can change your percentage.......

Duck tastes like crap....unless its ground and made into 60%pork/40% smoked link sausage.

Comment

Google cherry brandy sauce. Cook puddle duck breasts medium rare, slice thin and top with sauce. You will never give them away again. My wife actually goes to Cabelas and buys me a case of steel shot every year just so I will make this dish.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                          My wife actually goes to Cabelas and buys me a case of steel shot every year just so I will make this dish.

Now that is a helluva deal..

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                            Anyone have a duck sausage recipe?
                            https://honest-food.net/duck-sausage-recipe-hunters/

Comment

Found a photo of the mango chutney glazed roasted duck.

THe first time I cooked it, my wife asked "am I supposed to eat the skin?" Before I could answer, she tasted it and exclaimed "YES, Yes I am!"

Comment

soak it in orange juice for a day then sear it. Make white rice and thick gravy with red wine in it. Put the rice on the plate followed by the duck and warm it up in the oven then pour the gravy on. BON APPETIT

Comment

Working...
                                X