No announcement yet.

Duck recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't cook past medium rare. Unless it's in gumbo.

Comment

Also, fajitas and stir fry. Anybody close to me who doesn't like duck and has some , hollah. I'll take it off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
        Don't cook past medium rare. Unless it's in gumbo.
        Or if it's whole, like duck l'orange or peking duck. Ugh, now I'm craving peking duck in mandarin pancakes with hoisin sauce.

If you need recipes for game and can't come up with anything, I always suggest starting here: https://honest-food.net/

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          Or if it's whole, like duck l'orange or peking duck. Ugh, now I'm craving peking duck in mandarin pancakes with hoisin sauce.

If you need recipes for game and can't come up with anything, I always suggest starting here: https://honest-food.net/

Never have had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fillet out the breast meat (so it's boneless). crockpot with 7 bean soup and whatever spices you like. cook for 4 to 6 hours and add sausage (cut cubes out of link sausage). cook for another 30 to 45 minutes.

then stir up to shred the duck meat. salt and pepper to taste! it usually tastes even better the 2nd day as with many crock pot stews/gumbo.

Comment

Duck & gravy, grilled, poppers, skillet cooked, whole stuffed, rice casseroles... man the list goes on and on. I grew up on it and it’s my favorite wild game by a long shot. You just can’t beat a greenhead that’s been eating acorns and rice.

Here are a couple simple recipes that I fix:

Soak breasts/legs in milk for an hour, drain, cover with worchestershire for 30 minutes or so, then throw on a hot grill for a few minutes.

For specks, if you’re not going to cook them whole, strip out the meat, run through a tenderizer, batter with cornmeal and fry. Salt and pepper to taste.

Comment

I breast them out and then let them sit in water or brine to pull the blood out. A lot of people cook them too long,much past medium rare and they get the game taste.

Comment

Use it to substitute giblets in giblet rice.

Comment

Depends on the duck.(Puddle Ducks) Wood ducks, Mallards, Pintails, Gadwalls and a few others. Filet the breast, coat generously with Coarse ground salt, black pepper and garlic. Grill fast and hot, max 1:30 per side. Meat should be rare. Slice and enjoy. Most diving ducks, Redheads, Ringnecks etc. gumbo (lots of good recipes online). Mergansers(let's just say I won't shoot these anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                      I breast them out and then let them sit in water or brine to pull the blood out. A lot of people cook them too long,much past medium rare and they get the game taste.
                      Always soak in salt water or milk in overnight.....

Comment

I've got 5-6 in recipes forum that are outstanding. My bourbon glazed is simple and will be on my menu this evening

Rule #1 never cook past medium rare... rare preferred

Rule #2 salt brine minimum 24 hrs to remove as much blood as possible

Comment

Recipe 1:
                          Dredge duck breast fillets in a mix of egg and and milk, then roll in Italian bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a skillet at a medium setting (enough to keep the pan oiled, but not enough to "deep fry"). Lightly fry breast filets. Cooking too long will result in a dry, livery texture and flavor. Duck is best when served medium rare. In another sauce pan, begin heating two cups of blackberries on a low heat setting. Add a half cup of water (with sugar if you would like a sweeter flavor). Cook until reduced to a syrupy texture. When done, plate the filets and drizzle with the blackberry reduction.

Recipe 2:
                          Brine whole duck (skin on) for 24 hours. Rub with your favorite spices. Heat oven to 375. Roast duck whole on roasting rack above baking pan for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and coat skin with a mango chutney glaze (available in sauce aisle in many stores). Return to oven for additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carve duck. My favorite way to do this is to slice the breast, wing, thigh, and leg away from the rib, spine, and hip. This results in a very nice looking and mostly boneless duck half with a wonderfully sticky sweet glaze. Drizzle any drippings in the backing pan on the duck when serving.

Comment

Wood ducks, teal, mallards, gadwalls widgeon, pintails and tree ducks cook in gumbo, bacon wrap or whole duck oven baked in a bed of rice. The rest are neighbor ducks: give them to your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                              Wood ducks, teal, mallards, gadwalls widgeon, pintails and tree ducks cook in gumbo, bacon wrap or whole duck oven baked in a bed of rice. The rest are neighbor ducks: give them to your neighbors.
                              Canvasback?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                                Canvasback?
                                Never killed one, killed and ate all the others I listed.

Comment

Working...
                                X