Cattle on the lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
    I hunt family land and have for 30+ years and we run cattle’s. I do not put my feeders in pens and have never had them mess with a feeder. Now horses is a whole different story. The cows will sometimes wonder into a set up that I am hunting and graze through but if your feeder scatters the corn good they cannot pick it up and keep moving. A feeder that has corn stacked up under it due to nothing coming to eat it or something causing it to dump a bunch of corn is a problem. They can pick it up and will start pushing each other around to get the corn and knock over a feeder due to their size.

This^^^cows can’t eat scattered corn on dirt. A pile, yes, but not scattered. Put some t-posts and panels up and you will be fine as long as the cow count and acreage is within range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One or 2 of us on ours seems to replace a panel every year and that's cattle not hog panels. One Olympic cow will high jump it/land on it in the process and bend it like a taco.
      The rest of the time it does it's job

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
        This^^^cows can’t eat scattered corn on dirt. A pile, yes, but not scattered. Put some t-posts and panels up and you will be fine as long as the cow count and acreage is within range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This is what I was told and believed until we saw the cows on our property. We throw with road feeders on the roads at our stands. You can sit and watch the cows eat it.

Comment

I run a single strand of barbed wire along the top of my hog panels. Even hungry cows havent been in the round pens since. Now I leave the cages off and it throws corn better along the edges of the pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
            Try and get a lower price since you have to deal with cattle now
            Try this if you don't want to have a lease anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
              I've never seen any deer anywhere near the cattle
              I have seen deer/cattle in the same area's several times through out the year. It is not uncommon to see cattle and deer in the same area when disking or shredding a field/pasture, fixing fence etc. More than once I have jump bucks that were laid up with cattle. Two of the biggest I have seen were this way. It was mid day on both occasions, I was trying to skirt around the cattle. You know how the cattle will go on alert, get jumpy when they see a human. This is how this happened, the cattle were on alert and few got up. That's when the buck jumped up and took off. I am not sure I could have got a shot had I seen him first without hitting any of the cattle. I think the big bucks will use the cattle as alarm like I said earlier. I am not saying they lay up like this all the time, I just know what I have seen. I have had cattle graze through a feeder setup and some of the deer will run off a few yards and then move back in. Some will stay at the feeder but then my cattle are not going directly to the feeder and after the corn.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                We we're just informed that our lease was sold and that the new owners will be putting cattle on this coming year.

My question is. Should I be concerned with them tearing up my feeders and pens?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                Yes sir. If you fence your feeder in with barbed wire or hog panel you'll be ok. It'll keep out the cattle. I've had the same problems in the Hill Country and at my Uncle's ranch in South Texas. I still hunt both places and they both run cattle. No big problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've hunted a place where the deer ignored the cows and I hunted a place where the deer would run for their lives when the cows came near. I used to get out the blind with a slingshot and run them off in Schleicher county. They wouldn't mess with the feeder pen but would stand there and stare forever.

Comment

We've got feed pens around all our feeders because we lease a pasture designed for cattle to feed...most are...just need feed pens, and a truck to run them off when you get to the blind, or patience when they are feeding when you get to your blind late. Don't leave just because of grazing, unless you're on one of them high dollar leases.

Comment

nough said
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few things to be mindful of:

*How many people will have access to property to check on livestock? What are their names phone, vehicle description, and time of day they plan to access
                        *If the land is partitioned out in pastures expect the more open sections to be grazed during hunting season? Thick cover? Expect overgrazing of browse which could hurt your deer herd
                        *If rancher feeds hay during winter 9 times out of 10 they will drop that near your camp; expect heaps of cow****, flies, and those cows to camp out around it. No cliche roads? Expect muddy tracking after rain on the high spots you drive on
                        *Expect cows to be worked during deer season. They will need to be wormed (favorable fall times are mid Sept, October and Mid November), dehorned, rounded up for sell, etc
                        *How will water be maintained. What are your responsibilities should there be bills to pay or repairs due to livestock damage. I would clear that up right away
                        *Finally, be respectful to the livestock and mindful of their whereabouts when shooting. These are walking assets and tax breaks
                        Last edited by ThePecosBilly; 01-09-2018, 11:49 PM. Reason: Left something off

Comment

Silly to think something called hog panel wil keep out a cow. My dads last bull tore up his pen that was weak. He refused to stay inside with it being reinforced. This same bull was fed daily and kept a fresh roll of hay.

Comment

Originally posted by GWilly View Post
                            I was new to this issue this season and it took me a couple tries to figure it out. I now have a 10 panel feeder pen with cattle panels with two panels cut down to let the deer jump in easily, this set up has held up for me and the deer don't seem to mind it. I also have a t-post tied to each leg of the feeder in the case they break in. I have extra t-post supporting the fence in the lower section because I learned the cows will test this area.
                            I like the idea that you have shorter panels for the deer, and they don't get hung up either. Am considering this same principle when I get my own place. Keeps the hogs out too, if that's what you want.

Comment

I put a brand new spanking feeder out at my Dads place. I didn't think anything about it. He has a virgin bull he was feeding out in a fenced in area. Had feeds out cattle in it for years.....Well this particular bull broke the fence and got out and destroyed my feeder. The feeder he tore up is in the rear the and the varmint cage is in the front part of the photo. He had a field day eating 400lbs of corn by himself. Never been so ****** in my life. Glad that bull is out to pasture where he belongs.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                                The only time I have had trouble with our cattle is when I set a feeder up without a varmit cage. For whatever reason they do not mess with the feeder if it has a varmit cage. I use schedule 40 pipe for the legs and stake them with a Tpost. If you can stalk hunt, when you come up on cattle go slow and look carefully. Two of the biggest bucks I have seen were laid up with cattle during the day. I think they use the cattle as an alarm myself
                                this 100%.

the deer are used to the cows if on the place there year 'round. slingshotting chasing and disturbing them ruins hunts. slip in and out and let the cows be cows.

or just keep making them crash and run. i dont care.

Comment

Working...
                                X