No announcement yet.

Cattle on the lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re feeder an sling corn outside the pen or even close to the edge it’s too small and if they are not well fed you will have problems, especially with short hog panels.

We have cows and rocky soil so getting enough t posts driven is nearly impossible. A couple of us bought deer panels from Rivera Custom Gates out of Lometa. They are free standing and can be moved and installed easily. No problems with the cows at our free choice Protein feeders with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not sure if mentioned yet, but they can mess up your popup blinds too. I found by puttting logs around mine, it keeps to them from collapsing the blinds. The cattle don't like stepping over the logs.

Feeder pens with barbwire work great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt family land and have for 30+ years and we run cattle’s. I do not put my feeders in pens and have never had them mess with a feeder. Now horses is a whole different story. The cows will sometimes wonder into a set up that I am hunting and graze through but if your feeder scatters the corn good they cannot pick it up and keep moving. A feeder that has corn stacked up under it due to nothing coming to eat it or something causing it to dump a bunch of corn is a problem. They can pick it up and will start pushing each other around to get the corn and knock over a feeder due to their size.

Comment

Just put a little cooking oil on your corn. Cows and horses can not pick it up. Deer, goats etc can and will pick it up.

Comment

I was on a south texas lease for seven or eight years. When I arrived the existing fifty head of cattle never bothered to stop by the feeders. They were trained that they could not pick up a lot of corn there anyways. Any new cattle dropped on the ranch would hang around the feeders and try to lick the corn off the ground. They finally figured out after six months or so that it was a waste of their time. None of those twelve feeders had feed pens. Never really had problems with the cows. However, that particular ranch now has over 400 head of cattle on it. Big problems. Cows everywhere on 1800 acres. They had to put cattle panels around all of the feeders.

Comment

Cows in my place and no feed pen with no issue. I will build one if I put protein out

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                Just put a little cooking oil on your corn. Cows and horses can not pick it up. Deer, goats etc can and will pick it up.

I’m not trying to make popcorn in this South Texas heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had corn feeders out with no pen and no problems. They are high enough they can’t reach the slinger. My feeders scatter it good. They can only pick it up if it is in a pile. IMO if you feed protein, mineral, cottonseed or alfalfa. You could have a proble.

Comment

I have cattle on the place I own....I lease it for cattle and have never had an issue with the cattle messing with any of my feeders. My protein pens have hog panels and are big enough that I have never had any issues. My corn feeders are all tripod feeders except for one stand and fill feeder....never had any issues with any of them.

Comment

Have hunted with cattle for the last 9 years, all our feeder are high enough that they cant touch them, we have never had any feeder pens, they come though but it doesnt bother the deer at all

Comment

I’ve hunted on my property my entire life with cattle. Just throw out a few square bales opposite of where I want them. Sling shot always works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my biggest problem with the cows is the damage they do to everything else. no matter how well i cover them they always chew up any cable they find , i cant count how many times ive replaced cables on my 3 trailers out there. though i got a laugh one time when one bit into a live extension cord,

Comment

The only time I have had trouble with our cattle is when I set a feeder up without a varmit cage. For whatever reason they do not mess with the feeder if it has a varmit cage. I use schedule 40 pipe for the legs and stake them with a Tpost. If you can stalk hunt, when you come up on cattle go slow and look carefully. Two of the biggest bucks I have seen were laid up with cattle during the day. I think they use the cattle as an alarm myself

Comment

From what I was told when I joined is that we have like 12,000+ acres. We are divided into pastures. So each pastures is it's own lease.

So the owner will rotate the cattle thru the pastures. Hopefully it's not alot. I don't see it being many heads because of the terrain. But you never know. 1 plus is that he will have to install and fix the water that is thruout the land. Major plus for our deer!!

As far as the type of cattle I'm not sure.

Alot of good info guys! I appreciate it alot!

I was driving back from the lease all day so couldn't reply! I will post pics up when I finish my pen and give updates if anything happens!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                                The only time I have had trouble with our cattle is when I set a feeder up without a varmit cage. For whatever reason they do not mess with the feeder if it has a varmit cage. I use schedule 40 pipe for the legs and stake them with a Tpost. If you can stalk hunt, when you come up on cattle go slow and look carefully. Two of the biggest bucks I have seen were laid up with cattle during the day. I think they use the cattle as an alarm myself
                                I've never seen any deer anywhere near the cattle

Comment

Working...
                                X