Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try and get a lower price since you have to deal with cattle now

Comment

I've had several leases, all with cattle and never really had a problem with them. Just make sure that each leg is made out of strong steel and not that flimsy stuff you see in a lot of those " out of the box" feeders and t-post each leg. Also make sure that your feeder legs are tall enough so the cows wont rip off your unit ( did I just say that?! ) and use a good varmit cage.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Tposts on the ends/overlap and the middle of each panel (less the 'gate')?
        Yep that's what I have

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
          Yes,then I would be concerned whether or not you still have a lease.

DJ
          LOL! X2 on both accounts

I'd add at least 6 more panels and be sure to have the feeder in the center.
          Last edited by Traildust; 01-08-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
            Yep that's what I have

should be good...
            like i said though.. if they want in..they will get in..
            strand of barb wire wouldnt hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              LOL! X2 on both accounts
              Post #5

Comment

You're going to have a lot of run ins with the cattle if they're free to roam entire property. I had a place that had cattle but restricted to one side of the property. Once the LO let them roam the entire place i swear they would look for me and congregate right on top of me lol running joke that i never went an entire trip without at least one cow story. Sticking their heads in my pop-up, sneaking up on me while I'm laid up in brush, devouring my hand corn, wiping out a feeder....cows owned me lol

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever hunted without cattle. Big dumb animals but somehow they can figure out a feeder pen. Make it pretty tight if you’re using barbed wire and you should be good to go. With cattle panels you’ll have no problems. Only time they’ve ever screwed me was when I put a brand new pop up out and left it over the weekend. Came back and it was destroyed.

On thing we do if it’s a weekend that everyone is going to be there is buy a bag of sweet feed and we put it in an area where nobody hunts. This will usually keep them up there and out of our way for a few hours anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                    You're going to have a lot of run ins with the cattle if they're free to roam entire property. I had a place that had cattle but restricted to one side of the property. Once the LO let them roam the entire place i swear they would look for me and congregate right on top of me lol running joke that i never went an entire trip without at least one cow story. Sticking their heads in my pop-up, sneaking up on me while I'm laid up in brush, devouring my hand corn, wiping out a feeder....cows owned me lol
                    Yep. When I bought my place, it was leased for cows. I asked the guy to remove the cows when my deal closed. He did everything he could to get me to leave cows on property I now owned and hopefully could control. He'd have to paid me $50/ac to leave them mangy things on there. I was fed up with cows from the last 5 years on a placed I leased.

Comment

for any feeder you dont have a pen on....

Comment

I was new to this issue this season and it took me a couple tries to figure it out. I now have a 10 panel feeder pen with cattle panels with two panels cut down to let the deer jump in easily, this set up has held up for me and the deer don't seem to mind it. I also have a t-post tied to each leg of the feeder in the case they break in. I have extra t-post supporting the fence in the lower section because I learned the cows will test this area.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Depends. Are they Brahman or any similar cross? Had a 1000 pound cow that could clear a 5 ft fence whenever she wanted. The slingshot suggestion works. Listen to Smart and others about building your pens LARGE AND TOUGH. Sounds like cattle are the new normal now for your lease. Could be worse. Barbed wire is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            for any feeder you dont have a pen on....

Lol i feel your pain!!! Had this exact same experience

Comment

One time i put out alfalfa with some apple crush sprinkled in for an axis set. Cows couldn't reach it but they lined the fence and stared at it for hours lmao it was funny until i came back for an afternoon set and founds 4 cows had found a weakness in the fence and were now standing in the middle of my set. Would have been hilarious if anyone could have watched me trying to wrangle them back on the other side of the fence and then fix the fence lol

Comment

A lot depends on the amount of food available to the cattle. Over the past few years, cows ruined our hunting quite a bit because they were always walking through our hunting areas looking for grass. When the pasture side of the property greened up, they left the huntin area alone. When winter hit this year, the rancher did a good job of keeping them fed, so this season was the best we have had in three years. Still not seeing the same amount of deer that we did before the cows were put on the place 6 years ago, but the numbers are getting better.

Comment

Working...
                                X